Was the love triangle necessary?

Use this forum to discuss the August 2021 Book of the month, "Chameleons" by Onyx Gold
AzmainReviews
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-azmainreviews.html
Latest Review: The New Eugenics by Conrad B. Quintyn

Re: Was the love triangle necessary?

Post by AzmainReviews »

A forgiving character like Bryce is too good to be true in real life. In a story like this, he felt more like a convenient ending relief. If Bryce was not there or he was a very minor character it would be more engaging for the overall story. It felt like the author had the idea of Bryce as the normal love interest. He is in the wrong story in my opinion.
Ra Ka
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ra-ka.html
Latest Review: The Frights of Fiji by Sunayna Prasad

Post by Ra Ka »

I don't think a love triangle was necessary and it was annoying that Zia would enter a new relationship before ending the old one and Bryce was very tolerant in his dealings with Zia
Oluoma C
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oluoma-c.html
Latest Review: Dread Tribunal of Last Resort by Brian Kaufman

Post by Oluoma C »

It was too necessary, the Bryce character doesn't seem well developed,making him appear unrealistic and the love triangle situation unbelievable.
Zoe Harris
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27

Post by Zoe Harris »

I do agree with the few people that think a love triangle is necessary. It is. A little drama and romance is sometimes what you need to stay drawn in.
J Edwards
Favorite Book: Kalayla
Currently Reading: Global Business in the Age of Transformation
Bookshelf Size: 95
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-j-edwards.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by J Edwards »

In my opinion, I think the love triangle was necessary because it appears to me that the author used the character Bryce to help Zia as the main character stand out. We couldn't understand Zia's character fully without the role of Bryce. On the other hand I agree with you that Bryce should have just been a minor character and not stand out.
:character-bart:
“We don’t receive wisdom; we must discover it for ourselves after a journey that no one can take for us or spare us.”

French novelist Marcel Proust.
Prarthna
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 100
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prarthna.html
Latest Review: The Farmer by Sam Braidwood

Post by Prarthna »

Usually, I do not mind an entertaining love triangle. But the character of Bryce did not seem convincing to me. Bryce was too quick to forgive his partner for cheating. His character could have been better developed and well-written.
fiona monroe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fiona-monroe.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by fiona monroe »

I love a good love triangle in a romance novel. A well-conceptualized love triangle makes for interesting drama and character development in the book. I do think Bryce's character could have been more realistic in how he related to Zia and her shortcomings. But I definitely enjoyed the love triangle.
Rizki Pradana
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rizki-pradana.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Rizki Pradana »

I think a good triangle love will always become a good story. But in this book, I would have to agree with you because it really didn't give personality to Bryce and the story wasn't well written by the author.
Emmanuel Okotie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 108
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emmanuel-okotie.html
Latest Review: VROOM! Barry, Kari and the Power Boost! by William G Wilberforce III

Post by Emmanuel Okotie »

Personally, I think the love triangle was not just necessary but also added spice to the story.
Of course, some persons might have their reservations about it, but I think it was necessary.
julietmumbua23
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julietmumbua23.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White

Post by julietmumbua23 »

I think the love triangle added a bit of drama and complexity to the story.
Glorious Jack
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-glorious-jack.html
Latest Review: The Frights of Fiji by Sunayna Prasad

Post by Glorious Jack »

I felt the love triangle was unnecessary and at times unbelievable. It felt like a random plot twist thrown into the story to surprise the readers.
Fajarr
Currently Reading: Wuthering Heights
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fajarr.html
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann

Post by Fajarr »

It made things interesting, but if your choice is either a guy you find so frustrating that you cheat on him with a guy who makes you feel like you just received a physical exam from The Terminator, you need to keep looking. Neither one of these men is a bargain.
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann
Jufri Juntak
Currently Reading: First Survivor
Bookshelf Size: 19

Post by Jufri Juntak »

I would agree that it feels like he is so unrealistic however, his character was important and although the 'triangle' seemed a bit unnecessary too, Bryce still played an important role in Zia's character. The love triangle is the major part of the plot, but I don't think it was authentic, not to mention the cliches.

Return to “Discuss "Chameleons" by Onyx Gold”