Was the love triangle necessary?

Use this forum to discuss the August 2021 Book of the month, "Chameleons" by Onyx Gold
Valerie Garske
Currently Reading: the girl who know Davanci
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-valerie-garske.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Was the love triangle necessary?

Post by Valerie Garske »

I did not think Bryce was a believable character. How could he be so in love so quickly and then so ready to forgive. Then a billionaire on top of that. I think the book did not need the love triangle, I found it rather disturbing. what do you think?
Sohana Hasan
Favorite Author: Sarah J. Maas
Favorite Book: shadow and bones
Currently Reading: The Beautiful
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sohana-hasan.html
Latest Review: Waterworks by Jack Winnick
fav_author_id: 2719

Post by Sohana Hasan »

valeriejane wrote: 07 Aug 2021, 13:58 I did not think Bryce was a believable character. How could he be so in love so quickly and then so ready to forgive. Then a billionaire on top of that. I think the book did not need the love triangle, I found it rather disturbing. what do you think?
In my opinion, a well-formed love triangle is always enjoyable. In this case, however, I would have to agree with you. The love triangle is not written very well, in my opinion, and didn't really give a personality to Bryce.
6eyed
Currently Reading: Pedro Paramo
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-6eyed.html
Latest Review: The Vanished by Pejay Bradley

Post by 6eyed »

I also felt like Bryce felt out of place in the story, and wondered if the story could have been more impactful if it focused solely on Zia's unfortunate encounter with a charming killer. I think the story would have been more engaging if Bryce was just a minor character, or at least one that is second to Zia and Baxter. However, I felt Zia owning up to her sins and growing as a character was an important part of her character arc, and that could not have happened without Bryce. It felt like the author had a normal romance plot in mind at first, and rushed to get Zia and Bryce together before developing them as characters, only to become much more invested in the thriller part of the story in the latter half. As a result, Bryce feels kind of half-baked, almost like the author wasn't quite sure what to do with him.
cluetop
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cluetop.html
Latest Review: Mysteries you can't put down by Brad Bennett

Post by cluetop »

I agree that Bryce was a rather unrealistic character. I think his reaction to Zia’s infidelity was convenient rather than realistic, especially since he had a history of being betrayed by his significant other in the past. It felt like his entire existence and demeanor was forced and I failed to see a real, rational reason he was infatuated with Zia and stayed with her through an affair he knew was going on.
Kaitlyn Canedy
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Napoleon Hill
Favorite Book: Too Old Too Soon
Currently Reading: Totem
Bookshelf Size: 507
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaitlyn-canedy.html
Latest Review: The Date Farm by Jack Winnick
2024 Reading Goal: 12
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by Kaitlyn Canedy »

Some of Bryce's character traits are believable, but I have to agree that his quick forgiveness and failure to call Zia out on her mistakes were both stale choices. While Bryce did not know the specifics of Zia's sexual encounters with Bax, he knew that something was going on. He had plenty of time to confront her about her affair. Zia kept consistently having sexual encounters with Baxter but did not put an end to it until the very end when it was seemingly forced to end. I cannot think of a man in real life that would still marry a woman who consistently cheated on him like this.
"I see now that the circumstances of one's birth are irrelevant, it is what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are.”- Mewtwo
ciecheesemeister
Favorite Author: Jude Austin
Currently Reading: Homer, A Constant Companion.
Bookshelf Size: 724
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ciecheesemeister.html
Latest Review: Wild World by Peter S. Rush
fav_author_id: 165843

Post by ciecheesemeister »

It made things interesting, but if your choice is either a guy you find so frustrating that you cheat on him with a guy who makes you feel like you just received a physical exam from The Terminator, you need to keep looking. Neither one of these men is a bargain.
Amanda Dobson
Currently Reading: The King's Trial
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amanda-dobson.html
Latest Review: The Quest For The Phoenix Crown by Xander T. Petersen
Reading Device: Apple

Post by Amanda Dobson »

I agree that this live triangle was not believable enough nor was it really beneficial to the overall affect of the book. But then I am if an opinion that no matter what cheating is a hard NO in my books. Overall in some books a love triangle can make the basis of a great storyline but in this case it had no affect to the plot whatsoever in my opinion.
Tarie07
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tarie07.html
Latest Review: Korian: Ark of the Fallen King by Giorgio Garofalo

Post by Tarie07 »

Though the love triangle made up the book itself, I don't think it was necessary. I just couldn't connect witg with Bryce's character it seemed a bit out of context.
t_mann23
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-t-mann23.html
Latest Review: Soria's Blood by D.L. Brownson

Post by t_mann23 »

One of the first rules of writing is to add tension whenever possible. A love triangle definitely adds tension, and I think in this case it helped Zia grow as a character throughout the novel. That being said--Bryce didn't entirely feel like an authentic character, so in that sense, the love triangle could have been written better.
Uzoma Kalu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-uzoma-kalu.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Uzoma Kalu »

Bryce doesn't seem like a fully developed character, more like he was an afterthought so, I would agree that it feels like he is so unrealistic however, his character was important and although the 'triangle' seemed a bit unnecessary too, Bryce still played an important role in Zia's character.
6eyed

Post by 6eyed »

Katie Canedy wrote: 08 Aug 2021, 16:20 Some of Bryce's character traits are believable, but I have to agree that his quick forgiveness and failure to call Zia out on her mistakes were both stale choices. While Bryce did not know the specifics of Zia's sexual encounters with Bax, he knew that something was going on. He had plenty of time to confront her about her affair. Zia kept consistently having sexual encounters with Baxter but did not put an end to it until the very end when it was seemingly forced to end. I cannot think of a man in real life that would still marry a woman who consistently cheated on him like this.
The reasoning the author gives is because he believed his grandmother's reasoning that true love would come to him, and he wanted to see if Zia was the right one. He wanted her to confess and have his belief that Zia was "the one" to be proven. Though it sort of makes sense when he explains it to Zia, it does make him seem incredibly naive. It doesn't help that the author waits on revealing his backstory until the second half of the book.
6eyed

Post by 6eyed »

ciecheesemeister wrote: 08 Aug 2021, 19:53 It made things interesting, but if your choice is either a guy you find so frustrating that you cheat on him with a guy who makes you feel like you just received a physical exam from The Terminator, you need to keep looking. Neither one of these men is a bargain.
First, this response is hilarious. Also, I do agree that Zia's frustrations with Bryce were written better than Bryce himself. But man, it does put into perspective that Bryce could have, you know, told her he didn't want to make Zia feel like a sexual object. Instead he keeps it to himself and leaves her frustrated. It's very convenient for the story.
DTamara
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dtamara.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by DTamara »

I understand the point of loving two people in a different way, but the way it was executed, how she resolutely changed her mind after seeing each one made zero sense to me personally, especially as the book progressed. The love triangle is the major part of the plot, but I don't think it was authentic, not to mention the cliches.
Kaushiki Parihar
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaushiki-parihar.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Kaushiki Parihar »

Sometimes, love triangles make romance stories intriguing. But, only if both the characters are competent. So, for this story, I agree with you. if this book didn't have a love triangle, Bryce could have been a more charming character rather than unreal.
Kaitlyn Canedy
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Napoleon Hill
Favorite Book: Too Old Too Soon
Currently Reading: Totem
Bookshelf Size: 507
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaitlyn-canedy.html
Latest Review: The Date Farm by Jack Winnick
2024 Reading Goal: 12
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by Kaitlyn Canedy »

6eyed wrote: 10 Aug 2021, 09:29
Katie Canedy wrote: 08 Aug 2021, 16:20 Some of Bryce's character traits are believable, but I have to agree that his quick forgiveness and failure to call Zia out on her mistakes were both stale choices. While Bryce did not know the specifics of Zia's sexual encounters with Bax, he knew that something was going on. He had plenty of time to confront her about her affair. Zia kept consistently having sexual encounters with Baxter but did not put an end to it until the very end when it was seemingly forced to end. I cannot think of a man in real life that would still marry a woman who consistently cheated on him like this.
The reasoning the author gives is because he believed his grandmother's reasoning that true love would come to him, and he wanted to see if Zia was the right one. He wanted her to confess and have his belief that Zia was "the one" to be proven. Though it sort of makes sense when he explains it to Zia, it does make him seem incredibly naive. It doesn't help that the author waits on revealing his backstory until the second half of the book.
I agree with that assessment. As a reader, I was wondering where Bryce was many times. He was seemingly thrown in at the end of the book, which made no sense because I didn't think their connection was that strong. I had hoped that this would have been explained more clearly to us readers.
"I see now that the circumstances of one's birth are irrelevant, it is what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are.”- Mewtwo

Return to “Discuss "Chameleons" by Onyx Gold”