Is Zia clueless or blinded by lust?

Use this forum to discuss the August 2021 Book of the month, "Chameleons" by Onyx Gold
Ruchi Raina
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruchi-raina.html
Latest Review: House of Ashes by Margaret Blythe

Re: Is Zia clueless or blinded by lust?

Post by Ruchi Raina »

I don't think Zia was blinded by lust. Though there were signs, many of them, but I think many of us are guilty of ignoring the signs if it concerns someone we like. She was definitely not clueless, as we see her suspecting and even going as far as hiring a PI. I think she was more or less in denial because she suspected something was wrong but just didn't want to believe it.
Akshi Porwal
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-akshi-porwal.html
Latest Review: The Heat Is On by Afzal (Al) Sovani

Post by Akshi Porwal »

Just like every other thriller, I think Zia is just too naive to see anything. When she's away from Baxter, her last for him dissipates but she still does not seem to notice all the weirdness going on. Really how did Baxter enter into a contract without valid IDs?
Neshboy Aburi
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: The Great Migration
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-neshboy-aburi.html
Latest Review: Darksoul by L. Brooks

Post by Neshboy Aburi »

I think she is blinded by pure lust. She delights in the sensations so much that she overlooks all the warning signs she gets concerning her lover. Couple this with the fact that she seems indifferent to the fact that she is sleeping with both of her lovers at the same time and you will see how lust plays a larger part.
Latest Review: Darksoul by L. Brooks
Kaushiki Parihar
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaushiki-parihar.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Kaushiki Parihar »

SarahJean7 wrote: 11 Aug 2021, 14:53 I had a hard time believing that Zia would continue to be with Baxter after all the truly strange coincidences she was discovering about her new lover and the series he was writing. Was she really that dim when it came to seeing him for who he was or did lust make her oblivious?
For me, Zia is a smart and confident woman, so she is definitely not clueless. She is also not blinded by love. She was aware of all these strange coincidences, but she knowingly ignores it all. And, the reason for that is she might not love him that much to risk and spoil her life.
Peace Chux
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peace-chux.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Peace Chux »

I think Zia wasn't clueless. Although her decisions were largely influenced by lust and love, which had made her oblivious to the red flags with Baxter.
Sharill Rasowo
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Worldlines
Bookshelf Size: 210
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sharill-rasowo.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Sharill Rasowo »

I think she is blinded by love. You would think this was far-fetched until you read stories about serial killers in real life. Many had spouses who noticed strange things about them but could not connect the dots or accept that their lover may be doing horrible things.
Namuddu Erin
Favorite Author: Pen Patience lovely
Favorite Book: God’s Victorious Army
Currently Reading: Cracker Jacked
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reading Device: 1400697484
fav_author_id: 224334

Post by Namuddu Erin »

The author detailed as Zia not clueless. She is just sexually blinded by lust which finalised her into boredom minus Baxter's sex. It is as compaired to other thriller, at first she was in love with Baxter before any other person.
Harshi4
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harshi4.html
Latest Review: The Trafficking Murders by Brian O'Hare

Post by Harshi4 »

I think it was a little bit of both. Zia's lust and her physical relationship with Baxter ended up with her forming an emotional attachment to him. This made her see only what she wanted to see. Thus, not caring about the red flags.
Oye Timothy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oye-timothy.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Oye Timothy »

I think Zia isn't clueless. When you are in love with something or someone, you are blinded to see flaws. It happens to me. It happens to everybody. It is when you are out of love from that fellow you realised you've been blind all the way.
NancyDrew12
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nancydrew12.html
Latest Review: The Tooth Fairy Makes A Mistake by Great-Aunt Rita

Post by NancyDrew12 »

Clueless? No. Avoiding the obvious? Yes. Zia had put two and two together that Baxter wasn’t as perfect as he had seemed. For me it seemed as if she was simply trying to make him into something she felt she desperately needed in her life.
Kaitlin Licato
Currently Reading: Shakespeare's Guide to Parenting
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaitlin-licato.html
Latest Review: The Sylvan Horn by Robert Redinger

Post by Kaitlin Licato »

I think Zia was just blinded by love. Particularly since she was so tentative socially earlier on, once she got involved, she just couldn't or didn't want to see what was going on. She probably had an inkling, but she just ignored it.
asteel18
Currently Reading: Bluewater Walkabout
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-asteel18.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by asteel18 »

I believe it's human nature to accept what we're seeing or feeling and brush aside things that seem "off" or something our brain is having a difficult time processing. I've accepted a lot of strange behavior and excused the behavior as the person being shy or just a bit different. Baxter seemed weird to me, but if I were in the same situation, I'm not sure if I'd react any differently than Zia.
-Amy
Khushboo Barwar
Favorite Book: Inertia
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-khushboo-barwar.html
Latest Review: The Price of Dreams by Jerry A. Greenberg
Reading Device: B07XVJZPKZ

Post by Khushboo Barwar »

I think physical connection is so…so important, that when you’re in a physical relationship with someone you overlook every red flag because of the intimacy it provides. I don’t think Zia was clueless but because of that physical connection, she just didn’t want to see any negative in him, whatsoever.
Christine Joy G 1
Favorite Book: How To Be Successful
Currently Reading: The Date Farm
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christine-joy-g-1.html
Latest Review: Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer's Guide by William H. Coles

Post by Christine Joy G 1 »

Zia is not clueless, she is just blinded by her sexual desires that were being fulfilled when she is with Baxter. Lust has overpower her intelligence at many ways to the point it doesn't seem to be love at all. She was blinded by red flags that she became a red flag herself.
Timothy Rucinski
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Dead Bob
Currently Reading: The Nutmeg of Consolation
Bookshelf Size: 605
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-timothy-rucinski.html
Latest Review: The Socratic Contract by D C Russell
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
2024 Reading Goal: 81
2024 Goal Completion: 24%

Post by Timothy Rucinski »

The biggest problem with the book was the coincidences. The one in which Zia is rescued by Baxter on the streets in the Bronx was so far-fetched, how anyone could not immediately recognize the setup is unbelievable. Zia is a smart woman, but this character flaw nearly ruined the book for me. She wasn't blinded by lust in this incident. However, she sure seemed remarkably clueless.

Return to “Discuss "Chameleons" by Onyx Gold”