What do you think will happen to Zia and Jazz now that Bax is dead?

Use this forum to discuss the August 2021 Book of the month, "Chameleons" by Onyx Gold
Shannon Ruane
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince
Currently Reading: The Fourth Kinetic
Bookshelf Size: 94
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shannon-ruane.html
Latest Review: The Alex Cave Series Book 5. Pandora’s Eyes by James M. Corkill
Reading Device: B07F2TKPFN

What do you think will happen to Zia and Jazz now that Bax is dead?

Post by Shannon Ruane »

Although they are both millionaires and do not need jobs, would their reputations become tarnished? Jazz probably would not serve time in prison because what she did was in self-defense. However, could Zia face legal repercussions because she (unknowingly) helped a serial killer publish his crimes rather than fiction? The entire country read and apparently loved the series. The public might feel guilt or disgust that what they have been reading (and loving) throughout this story has been a non-fiction crime series.

They would both be able to hire excellent defense attorneys or quietly close the case without a public trial given they have enough money. In my opinion, when asked, the police should just say "yes we caught (and killed) him" but leave out the fact that his murders are published in the "fictional books." No one else needs to know the truth other than the police, Jazz, Zia, and her husband. Zia should permanently quit her line of work and find a different job if she becomes too bored sitting around with millions of dollars she could spend on anything.
Raquel Sojo
Currently Reading: Egomaniac
Bookshelf Size: 410
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raquel-sojo.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Raquel Sojo »

Your argument really is interesting. As you say, I don't think Jazz will ever receive any condemnation, and I also don't consider that Zia should be condemned. Because of her ignorance at the time, that was all created in his mind. I consider that they are facts, that given the case would only generate chaos, and the real criminal is already dead. The best is that everything remains hidden.
Damian Keyes
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 129
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-damian-keyes.html
Latest Review: Last Minute Wedding Date by Anthony george
2024 Reading Goal: 30
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by Damian Keyes »

"Baxter" was in their office building and caught on camera (most likely) trying to kill Zia. I think the defense for him would be poor during a trial. Also, Zia could've turned the story around and said that she was the agent behind getting his book published and then saw that there were some similarities between the murders and his book. Then, she can say that she invited him to the office to talk about the parallels in his story and that's when he snapped because he knew she caught onto him. Of course, then there would be questions about Baxter's true identity, how Jazz is involved, and the hefty advancement that Zia received. Maybe the second book in this series can answer these questions.
Dustin Stopher
Currently Reading: Perk's of being a Wallflower
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dustin-stopher.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Dustin Stopher »

Zia for the most part will be fine, I would assume. Though she helped publish the books, because her involvement in the crimes was minimal to unknowing at best, she can’t really be held criminally liable. Not to mention the books actually helped gather details about the crimes and led to some degree to Baxter being stopped. Jazz, on the other hand, is an interesting case. She was never attacked, and to my knowledge, Zia wasn’t physically harmed, so claims of self-defense are a little shaky. Add to the fact that she had plenty reason to murder her father outside of potential present danger, and a case could be made that Jazz’s actions are deliberate and not just protective in nature. I’d be interested to see how this plays out in the sequel if it comes up at all.
DTamara
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dtamara.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by DTamara »

Based on the epilogue, I would say they don't get any repercussions. (Spoiler alert) Jazz and Bryce receive their inheritance and merge their companies. Then the three of them open their own literary firm and run their empire happily ever after. Maybe something happens in between the epilogue and the ending, however, I somehow doubt it.
Ondijo Junior
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ondijo-junior.html
Latest Review: Why Can't Johnny Just Quit? by Kyle Oh

Post by Ondijo Junior »

I see Zia recovering and in most part and I guess he will be fine, all of them being millionaires I believe financially they will be stable. I believe their life's will be stable ones again.
Absenc Of Evidence, is Never an Evidence Of Absence
Orji Gift 1
Currently Reading: TBD August 2022 Book of the Month
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-orji-gift-1.html
Latest Review: The Thundering Herd by John E. Peltier

Post by Orji Gift 1 »

I think Zia would definitely be fine. Jazz and Bryce hasn't been very good influences on his life, so he would cope well without the duo.
Rizki Pradana
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rizki-pradana.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Rizki Pradana »

I think Zia will be done because Jazz and Bryce can't affect his life. Furthermore, all of them are billionaires, so they can cope with their life too.
Fajarr
Currently Reading: Wuthering Heights
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fajarr.html
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann

Post by Fajarr »

Based on the epilogue, I would say they don't get any repercussions. (Spoiler alert) Jazz and Bryce receive their inheritance and merge their companies. Then the three of them open their own literary firm and run their empire happily ever after. Maybe something happens in between the epilogue and the ending, however, I somehow doubt it.
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann

Return to “Discuss "Chameleons" by Onyx Gold”