How did you feel about the ending?

Use this forum to discuss the August 2021 Book of the month, "Chameleons" by Onyx Gold
thepensivist
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 72
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thepensivist.html
Latest Review: Chameleons by Onyx Gold

How did you feel about the ending?

Post by thepensivist »

For me, the ending was way too short. With how much buildup there was into the climax, the conclusion should have been so much longer and more detailed. It felt like there wasn't enough emotion tied to what happened, and everyone just walked away essentially unscathed. Overall, it just felt fairly unrealistic and undeveloped.
Medhansh Bhardwaj
Currently Reading: Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-medhansh-bhardwaj.html
Latest Review: Mrs. White’s SUB SNIPS by Laura Moss White

Post by Medhansh Bhardwaj »

I definitely agree with you on this one. After reading such an intense and unpredictable novel, I expected a big and dramatic ending. But the ending was quite the opposite, it had so little substance to it that I went through it twice hoping that I missed something. I can't go into much details here(spoilers), but one thing I can say for sure- the ending was really dissatisfying.
DTamara
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dtamara.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by DTamara »

I agree with you both, it was a way too quick and fairytale like ending, compared to the incremental development. Some people in the forum mention a sequel, and I cannot possibly imagine what could go into it honestly.
asteel18
Currently Reading: Bluewater Walkabout
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-asteel18.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by asteel18 »

Oh, I totally agree. It was as everyone stood up and said, "Welp, nothing more to see here. Carry on." I read another book that was like this and I'm not sure if the author had a deadline, gave up, or just wasn't sure where to go with it.
-Amy
Miriam nkere
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miriam-nkere.html
Latest Review: Rosa, a Survivor from Terrorism by Dan Verin

Post by Miriam nkere »

It's so unfortunate that all expectations of the end was cut short. Properly detailed and the descending should have been more satisfying and fun. Well I believe that's the way the author wants it.
Timothy Rucinski
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Dead Bob
Currently Reading: The Nutmeg of Consolation
Bookshelf Size: 605
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-timothy-rucinski.html
Latest Review: The Socratic Contract by D C Russell
2024 Reading Goal: 81
2024 Goal Completion: 24%

Post by Timothy Rucinski »

The ending was a complete disappointment, and obviously, it was a guidepost indicating that a sequel was on the way. There is something fishy going on with Jazz and I wonder if she may have been in cahoots with her father. That's just one of the issues I felt unresolved. However, since the ending was so unsatisfying, I'm not really interested in going forward with any sequel.
Dustin Stopher
Currently Reading: Perk's of being a Wallflower
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dustin-stopher.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Dustin Stopher »

This was my biggest problem with the novel. I’ve mentioned this in another post, but it feels like with how quickly the story ended, several plot threads were left hanging. Is the investigation into Baxter now completely over? Did he have accomplices? Did anything happen with his books? Is Jazz off the hook for killing her dad in “self-defense”, despite her having motive and never actually being threatened? We also didn’t get a satisfying look into how Zia is faring after everything, as we are just given a typical happy ending. I think the novel would have benefited greatly from more resolution that could have easily been tacked onto the end.
Akshi Porwal
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-akshi-porwal.html
Latest Review: The Heat Is On by Afzal (Al) Sovani

Post by Akshi Porwal »

I thought that the ending was very abrupt. The way there was so much mystery put around this billionaire murderer its unrealistic that he died so easily without any further consequences.
Rachael S 1
Currently Reading: Eye of the World
Bookshelf Size: 135
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachael-s-1.html
Latest Review: SandPeople by Cheryl Kerr

Post by Rachael S 1 »

I believe the ending was abruptly wrapped up. The author did a great job at writing such a detailed and developed storyline, but then suddenly ended the story. I believe another chapter or two could have really fleshed out the ending. There was just too much emotion tied to the end for it to just suddenly be done.
Melissa VanCleave Plant
Currently Reading: Looking Glass Friends
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melissa-vancleave-plant.html
Latest Review: Heroes of Atlantis by Ryan Carriere

Post by Melissa VanCleave Plant »

I agree. The story had a lot of potential. There really wasn't anything in the ending to give you the idea that another book was coming either. It just ended. It was quite a letdown.
Akshobhya B
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-akshobhya-b.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Akshobhya B »

As a standalone book it does have a disappointing ending but it sets up the next book in the trilogy perfectly. Give the second book a try and you'll understand and appreciate the ending yourself.
Kazak
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kazak.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by Kazak »

The ending was unsatisfying. I believe it was supposed to resolve all of its problems. Otherwise, what's to stop the next book from ending on the same note.
kirthana_shivakumar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kirthana-shivakumar.html
Latest Review: Depiction of women characters as Victims of Oppresion and Agents of action in selected short stories by Rushika Gill

Post by kirthana_shivakumar »

I liked the ending but would have loved it if it had a tad bit more drama. It felt a little anti-climactic with how easily everything was resolved. Hopefully the sequel will have a better ending.
peace_m
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peace-m.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by peace_m »

I think the author did very well in the plotting and scenes. However, the ending seems abrupt. I was expecting all the problems to be resolved. And the author did not give any hint on a sequel. The ending was really unsatisfactory.
fiona monroe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fiona-monroe.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by fiona monroe »

I agree, the ending is short and sought of anti-climatic. But the book is part of a series. I would like to think the ending connects to the next book. Therefore, could it have been more developed? Yes. But does it take away from the series as a whole? I don't think so.

Return to “Discuss "Chameleons" by Onyx Gold”