Was the story too fast paced, or too centralized around the main character?

Use this forum to discuss the September 2021 Book of the month, "The Fourth Kinetic: Clairvoyants Book 1" by Brady Moore
Christine Joy G 1
Favorite Book: How To Be Successful
Currently Reading: The Date Farm
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christine-joy-g-1.html
Latest Review: Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer's Guide by William H. Coles

Re: Was the story too fast paced, or too centralized around the main character?

Post by Christine Joy G 1 »

For me, the story was well written. There are fast changes but they come along with the characters, and there are also almost no loose ends so it is perfectly fine. The storyline is good enough to give space for the development of the characters, and some clarification about relationships. The phase fits with the improvement, and I'm good with it.
Chinaka94
Currently Reading: Making Her His
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinaka94.html
Latest Review: E M P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Chinaka94 »

I felt that the story line was heavily centered around Rion. This makes sense since Rion is the main character in the story. However, the other characters could have been better developed if the author didn't " hurry things along". They had greater potential to add color to the story.
Rachael S 1
Currently Reading: Eye of the World
Bookshelf Size: 135
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachael-s-1.html
Latest Review: SandPeople by Cheryl Kerr

Post by Rachael S 1 »

The story was way too fast-paced. The author tried to cram too much into the first book and tried to develop too many characters at once. The story was clearly supposed to be centralized around Rion, but then the sudden development of powers so quickly and efficiently through the storyline a little out of wack.
Praise George-kayode
Currently Reading: The Magician's Secret
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-praise-george-kayode.html
Latest Review: Rescuing General Patton by Curtis Stephen Burdick

Post by Praise George-kayode »

I also felt the same way about the character's development, especially that of Rion. I dont think the author gave enough room for his character development, It almost felt like we were being introduced to different points in a short time in the story.
Astral Magi
Favorite Book: Name of the Wind
Currently Reading: Crossroads
Bookshelf Size: 523
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-astral-magi.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by Astral Magi »

The story had to be fast-paced in my opinion. Rion's character development was fine and I am sure the rest will follow as the series progresses. The author did a great job and I look forward to reading the follow-ups.
🕉Be Here Now⌛
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Time Before Time
Bookshelf Size: 1015
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: All the Targets by Noah Bond
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

I think that this novel was very focused on Rion. There were other characters in this book that were important to the story. Even though this story is about Rion and his journey to discover himself and others with similar powers, I would have liked to have learned about their lives.
Amynwankwo_
Currently Reading: My Enemy in Vietnam
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amynwankwo.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White

Post by Amynwankwo_ »

I completely agree with you. I felt like some characters needed more development. The story felt a little rushed and erratic. Well, to some extent, these characters weren’t very instrumental to the plot so I could understand why they were developed at the pace that they were.
Killian Nichilo
Currently Reading: The Selection
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-killian-nichilo.html
Latest Review: The Fourth Kinetic by Brady Moore

Post by Killian Nichilo »

Seroney_ wrote: 04 Sep 2021, 07:15 I agree that most characters were superficially displayed. However, I am happy that Rion, the protagonist, was accorded time and space in the better part of the book. I would have loved it more if a few more characters were accorded the same privilege. That said, character development was shallowly done in this book.
I entirely agree with this sentiment. I enjoyed Rion, and even Aries on my opinion had subtle hints of character development. I suppose in my personal opinion I wouldn't have minded if the book ended earlier. For example say the book ended right when Rion gets captured; but still has the same length of pages. We would have gotten to feel scenes that felt rushed like the bank robbery, or the training montage; be fleshed out further.
Hhannahh
Currently Reading: The Smartest Person in the Room
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hhannahh.html
Latest Review: The Whaler's Daughter by Jerry Mikorenda

Post by Hhannahh »

I think this book had too many characters, which is why it seemed like the plot jumped from one point to another. Being that this book is to be a series, the author should have left some characters for the later installments.
Killian Nichilo
Currently Reading: The Selection
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-killian-nichilo.html

Post by Killian Nichilo »

Hhannahh wrote: 21 Sep 2021, 08:12 I think this book had too many characters, which is why it seemed like the plot jumped from one point to another. Being that this book is to be a series, the author should have left some characters for the later installments.
I didn’t actually think about this much until you mentioned it. I completely agree with that there were characters that were introduced; that barely got any time. For example the mind reader kinetic that was with the predators. I found him to be sort of out of place because he didn’t have anything memorable about him except his dislike for Rion, and being a talented artist. I think if the cast had been cut down we could have focused, and develop the relationships between them we would learn to care for the characters more. There were many characters whose names were forgotten because the cast was so long and many of them barely got any attention.
Mbenma Esther 080
Currently Reading: My Enemy in Vietnam
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mbenma-esther-080.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Mbenma Esther 080 »

I think there is no need to develop the other characters since Rion was the protagonist. It would have made much sense though if other characters were elaborated to an extent.
Sarah C McHum
Favorite Book: Do I Need a Will or a Trust
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-c-mchum.html
Latest Review: The Altitude Journals by David J Mauro

Post by Sarah C McHum »

I think because the story was too fast-paced, it looks like it was too centralised around the main character, Rion. The writer somehow tried to focus on other characters, but it affects the plot so badly, just like the others have written.
Ayomid
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ayomid.html
Latest Review: A Spiritual Dog: "Bear" by J. Wesley Porter

Post by Ayomid »

I seem to like the flow of the book as it is. It's probably because I love fast moving scenes, that way I get to cover a lot in a short time. Since Rion is the main character, I'm content with him getting the main focus.
Dartemis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dartemis.html

Post by Dartemis »

I think the first half of the story was well-paced. However, as soon as it got to the second half when Rion and his mother get separated, I think it started rushing things. I'm in agreement that a lot of the side characters' actions felt very forced just to keep the story moving.
Susan Kihleng
Currently Reading: Just Give Me a Soft Place to Land
Bookshelf Size: 273
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-susan-kihleng.html
Latest Review: Elizabeth's Garden by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Susan Kihleng »

I don't feel the story is too fast paced. The early chapters are actually a bit slow but then when the action starts, I was sucked in and didn't want to put it down, in spite of the fact that I was convinced I probably wouldn't like this book that much when I first started it. I also don't feel the main character was too centralized either as he was the one the plot was about. After reading through this thread, though, I see I may be a minority in my thoughts on this.

Return to “Discuss "The Fourth Kinetic" by Brady Moore”