Rion and his mother

Use this forum to discuss the September 2021 Book of the month, "The Fourth Kinetic: Clairvoyants Book 1" by Brady Moore
EternalD
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eternald.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Re: Rion and his mother

Post by EternalD »

I can't see how the plot would have worked if the two of them were entirely honest with each other. Besides, it's more understandable the motives that made Rion hide the truth than the other way around.
Gabriella1997
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gabriella1997.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Gabriella1997 »

Bertha Jackson wrote: 01 Sep 2021, 00:24 Do you think if Rion and his mother had been more open and honest with each other things would have turned out different? I do because by hiding their abilities from each other they could not discuss their concerns with each other. This kept Rion isolated from others and kept them on the run. What do you think?
I think Rion and his mother could have been more open but the author purposely gave them this flaw to help the plot progress properly. It's not something new in plot creation but I wouldn't have had it any other wat
Anthonio042
Currently Reading: Sex, Genes and Rock 'n' Roll
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anthonio042.html
Latest Review: "INVASIONS: 'Killing og the Indian'" by Don Diehl

Post by Anthonio042 »

Rion's mother is the one who made major contributions to his introversion, and by keeping this hidden for a long time, they both became disconnected from each other. However, I recognize that this is one of the recipes for making the novel engrossing. There would be no The Fourth Kenetic Clairvoyants and no next sequel if it didn't happen. That is an excellent strategy for the author. However, I'm curious what would happen if such a secret was disclosed.
Joyful17
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 126
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-k17.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Talking (war) Dog by Daniel Tierney

Post by Joyful17 »

If they had been honest with each other, the story would be a totally different one. However, I like it as is; it is not far from common realities as well.
SunVixen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sunvixen.html
Latest Review: Tau Ceti: A Ship from Earth by George T. Hahn

Post by SunVixen »

Medhansh Bhardwaj wrote: 03 Sep 2021, 08:58 One hundred percent. They could have very easily revealed their secrets and lead normal, peaceful lives. But then how would we have such a great story? I think the disturbances between Rion and his mother were necessary to create the right atmosphere for Rion's psychic abilities to flourish.
Undoubtedly. Poor book characters! They simply cannot afford to behave rationally. For example, what would happen to the tale of Little Red Riding Hood if its protagonist did not have the bad habit of chatting with predatory animals? :mrgreen:
El_limitless
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-el-limitless.html
Latest Review: Public Hostage Public Ransom by William Bronston MD

Post by El_limitless »

We definitely would have been reading a different story if Rion's abilities were made known to him by his Mother. She's in the best position to explain why he concealed that from Rion.
Ekezie1998
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 91
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ekezie1998.html
Latest Review: life lessons of wayne by shawn wayne swearingen

Post by Ekezie1998 »

Indeed open and honest communication is normally the key to unlocking most of our fears, so insecurities and vulnerabilities. It certainly did seem to me like Rion consciously stifled his personality and abilities, and this is surely traceable to his lack of openness with his mother.
Elendu Ekechukwu
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elendu-ekechukwu.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Elendu Ekechukwu »

I don't see any good reason why Roin's kept such a secret from him. Considering that the secret had a big role to play in the plot is another reason she might not have told it.
Amanda I
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amanda-i.html
Latest Review: Brand Real by Vasken Kalayjian

Post by Amanda I »

The secret is a crucial part of the story, without it we would have not had a story as fascinating as this or we would have not had a story at all. The secret brings the story to life. Although, if Rion's mother had explained things to him, it would have been a lot easier.
SnowStorm244
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: Courageous
Currently Reading: Looking Glass Friends
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-snowstorm244.html
Latest Review: End of the Last Great Kingdom by Victor Rose

Post by SnowStorm244 »

I think that he didn’t know what to do about his powers and maybe had some underlying fears of what would happen if he did tell his mom. I understand that it’s an important part of the book, but what if there’s more to it. Maybe, he didn’t want to truly accept who he was as a person? Being different means that you have to be ok with all aspects of yourself and it’s obvious when he is in school that Rion doesn’t care. But through the book it’s easy to see that he does care and wants to belong in a family. However, the problem I have is why didn’t his mom talk to Rion about his powers? For other than plot development reasons, it makes no sense.
Prarthna
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 100
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prarthna.html
Latest Review: The Farmer by Sam Braidwood

Post by Prarthna »

Surely, the story would have been different if Rion and his mother opened up to each other. If his mother had told him about his powers then things would have been easier for Rion.
MysticSpade
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mysticspade.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White

Post by MysticSpade »

100%!! Honesty is the best policy. Without being a parent myself, I know as humans we tend to hide things because we feel a need to protect the person we're keeping the secret from. Being a single mother, I could understand why Rion's mother kept something as big as having superpowers from him. I believe this was an excellent example of what a real relationship with a teenager is like. They don't pour their life story out to their parents because they're teenagers!
AzmainReviews
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-azmainreviews.html
Latest Review: The New Eugenics by Conrad B. Quintyn

Post by AzmainReviews »

I also thought about this part while reading the book. I think Rion's mother not being open to him about his power is an important part of setting up the story the way it goes. If they were open with each other the whole plot might have changed. It would have become a completely different story.
Lee-2u
Currently Reading: Mirror, Mirror...? A Modern Day Fairy Tale
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lee-2u.html
Latest Review: Rise of the Savior by Antoine Bonner

Post by Lee-2u »

It would have made the whole plot much different if Rion had known about his powers from the beginning, as well as having his mother to help him. If Rion's mother had told him about his powers, I think the whole plot would have been different and I'm also curious to see what her reason was for not telling him about them, but i believe that any mother would do anything to protect their child, that's why she kept it a secret.
Elon Gathungu
Favorite Book: The Legacy of Job's Wife
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elon-gathungu.html
Latest Review: Red Wave Imperative by Alan Schein

Post by Elon Gathungu »

I think both Rion and his mother felt the need to keep their abilities to themselves out of fear of judgment and rejection. Since neither knew the other was gifted, they were both unaware of the common similarity and bond they share. I do wish they had revealed their secrets to each other because it would have given Rion a support system and soothed some of his insecurities.

Return to “Discuss "The Fourth Kinetic" by Brady Moore”