Rion and his mother

Use this forum to discuss the September 2021 Book of the month, "The Fourth Kinetic: Clairvoyants Book 1" by Brady Moore
Blossy20
Currently Reading: Understanding the business of health care
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-blossy20.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Re: Rion and his mother

Post by Blossy20 »

Diana should have communicated better with her son. This would have made life much easier for Rion. She should have revealed to him the identity of his father, explaining the origin of his powers. She should have explained why they were always relocating. This would have helped Rion overcome his mental and social challenges.
Mr_James
Currently Reading: A grand deception
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mr-james.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White

Post by Mr_James »

If Rion and his mother, Diana were sincere with each other, then this plot would be totally different. The lack of communication between them is an important part of the story. However, if they had been candid with each other, life would have been easier for them. Rion would have understood who he was and why they were always on the run. Diana's sincerity would have helped Rion avoid all the internal turmoil that he experienced.
Mydustybooks
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mydustybooks.html
Latest Review: Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer's Guide by William H. Coles

Post by Mydustybooks »

There are so many possibilities. Telling others about your power is always a risk. I think the fact that he kept it a secret make the story very relatable to kids and to parents. So, it's a more interesting story because he has to hide his uniqueness and maneuver relationships. And trust is a big thing too.
Rocfella
Currently Reading: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rocfella.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by Rocfella »

If Rion and his mother were open with each other, their lives would have definitely been easier. If Diana had informed Rion about his father and his identity, Rion would have have been more secure and hence more sociable. They would have avoided a lot of problems if they were just sincere with each other. However, I appreciate the fact that the secrecy between them is a vital part of the plot. If they were sincere with each other, the plot would be very different.
Chimdiya A
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chimdiya-a.html
Latest Review: Who Told You That You Were Naked? by William Combs

Post by Chimdiya A »

I think openness can do a lot in ones social life. A lot of secrets were kept and Rion's mum seem possessive. All these affected the way Rion mingled
Joe Candle
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joe-candle.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Joe Candle »

I think that if they would have been more honest with one another they could have communicated more with each other which would have reduced the level of incomprehension between them and everything would have turned out differently.
Rishi_reviews
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rishi-reviews.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Post by Rishi_reviews »

It would have made it really simple for both of them if his mother was open to him about everything. But if that was the case then I don't think we would have got this great story. In the end I would say, talking to people about things always makes it better, but if you're writing a sci-fi novel, don't do that.
William Kariuki
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-william-kariuki.html
Latest Review: Jesus, Prosperity Gospel and Poverty in Africa by Elijah Oladimeji

Post by William Kariuki »

[bn=]I think it was better if they were open to one another. Rion would also have remained on the run like others but now he is isolated. But again if they were open what would have created the atmosphere of the book and the plot? I feel that keeping secret was key to the book's storyline.[/bn]
Uchechukwu Okereke
Currently Reading: The Aftermath Of The King
Bookshelf Size: 42

Post by Uchechukwu Okereke »

As parents, we hope to protect our children from information we think might put them in harm's way so I can sympathize with Rion's mother for not telling him and choosing to be on the run instead. But, we all saw how that influenced Rion to doing the same since he did not know how close to home his situation actually was.
Rizki Pradana
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rizki-pradana.html

Post by Rizki Pradana »

It definitely will make things different. Especially for the relationship between the son and his mother. They need to open for each other.
jide_76
Currently Reading: The Freedom Building
Bookshelf Size: 5

Post by jide_76 »

Sometimes, certain information are best kept as secrets. But for such a powerful gift as clairvoyance, one would expect a concerned mother to tutor her son on how to handle it.
But wait, if Rion's mom had not hid her knowledge of the son's psychic powers, the boy's confidence would have been strong, not having any need to isolate himself. Then the book would have had another stunning story line!
Alyssa444
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alyssa444.html
Latest Review: The Fourth Kinetic by Brady Moore

Post by Alyssa444 »

By confiding in each other, they could have prepared fully for this kind of situation, made a plan, supported each other emotionally. She wouldn't have needed to tell him everything she was feeling and thinking (that could have really turned emotionally unhealthy fast) but she could have told him something. We don't know why his mom kept her secrets yet, so maybe she had a good reason. Good reason or not, withholding herself from her kid is emotional abuse. I think the burden of responsibility is on her in this case.
Amenrodion
Currently Reading: Fates Sweet Passion
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amenrodion.html

Post by Amenrodion »

I think this book shows the need for open communication and honesty between parents and children. Rion and his mother could have found in each other great sources of emotional support but a lack of honesty definitely, in my opinion, contributed to Rion's sense of isolation
Cwilde13
Currently Reading: Watership Down
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cwilde13.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Cwilde13 »

I do think things would have been better for Rion if his mother had been honest with him about why they had to move around so much. He was uncovering his powers and he felt very alone. This left him vulnerable to outside influences. However, if his mother had been open with him, then he would have known that he was not the only one experiencing these powers.
Jimmy Irvin
Currently Reading: Vagabond
Bookshelf Size: 63
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jimmy-irvin.html
Latest Review: Nemesis Horizon Project by Eric Stephen Booth-Driver-Robinson

Post by Jimmy Irvin »

I agree with most everyone else. Rion's Mom should have told him that he had powers when he was smaller. There is always some secrets in families but something this huge should have been told a long time before it did.

Return to “Discuss "The Fourth Kinetic" by Brady Moore”