Rion and his mother

Use this forum to discuss the September 2021 Book of the month, "The Fourth Kinetic: Clairvoyants Book 1" by Brady Moore
Bertha Jackson
Bookshelves Moderator
Favorite Book: In It Together
Currently Reading: Truth and Evil
Bookshelf Size: 744
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bertha-jackson.html
Latest Review: All You'll Never Be (Kindle Edition) by E. L. Neve

Rion and his mother

Post by Bertha Jackson »

Do you think if Rion and his mother had been more open and honest with each other things would have turned out different? I do because by hiding their abilities from each other they could not discuss their concerns with each other. This kept Rion isolated from others and kept them on the run. What do you think?
Bertha R. Jackson :D
Book Reviewer at OnlineBookClub.org
ej_author
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ej-author.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by ej_author »

I definitely think it would have made things different! I'm actually interested to see what Rion's mother's explanation is for keeping this all a secret from him because it really doesn't seem like she had a good reason to. If Rion would have known the truth about his powers from the beginning and had his mother or the other Clairvoyants help him, I think the entire plot would have been entirely different.
"No tears in the writer, no tears in the reader." --Robert Frost
Kirsi Cultrera
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Then Comes The Flood
Bookshelf Size: 196
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kirsi-cultrera.html
Latest Review: Remembering Stardust by C. D. Baker

Post by Kirsi Cultrera »

Yes, it would most definitely have made a huge difference. On the other hand, this was one of the important features in the plot. I don’t think the storyline would have worked if there was no secret. Or at least the whole story would look a whole lot different! Anyway, in general I think such a behavior from the mother is not acceptable, and life would have been easier for both if the mother had told the truth.
Kirsi
Rosefarid
Currently Reading: Opaque
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by Rosefarid »

Exactly! But no story then. All our life starts with the secret why were born or how we will die..? But everyone of us knows we will die yet we won't teach our toddler kid that one day none of us are alive and will still protect them..She may hide for Rion's protection and like our life the story will be more interesting only if there's a secret. Here, the Author starts with that secret and I feel it's worth it.
Brenda Creech
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Mary Pat Ferron Caines
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 356
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brenda-creech.html
Latest Review: Was She Crying for Me? by Jerry Hyde
fav_author_id: 253250

Post by Brenda Creech »

Yes, I think Rion and his mother should have been open with each other. Especially his mother. I think she should have explained his powers to him early on, and revealed hers. Rion had no clue why he was the way he was. If he had known early on I think he would have adapted better to all the moving around they had to do. But, of course, it would have been an entirely different story; or maybe no story at all!
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Medhansh Bhardwaj
Currently Reading: Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-medhansh-bhardwaj.html
Latest Review: Mrs. White’s SUB SNIPS by Laura Moss White

Post by Medhansh Bhardwaj »

One hundred percent. They could have very easily revealed their secrets and lead normal, peaceful lives. But then how would we have such a great story? I think the disturbances between Rion and his mother were necessary to create the right atmosphere for Rion's psychic abilities to flourish.
mohamed benziane
Favorite Author: John Green
Favorite Book: Pride and Prejudice
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mohamed-benziane.html
Latest Review: Don't Mind Me, I'm Just Having a Bad Life by Lewis Kempfer
fav_author_id: 2072

Post by mohamed benziane »

In my opinion, Keeping his ability a secret from his mother is a battle with himself, for he is afraid that she would not accept him or be afraid of him, but that does not mean that what he did is good, because just because he has this superpower means that most definitely some else does too, so his mom could probably help him, and the fact that she hid her knowledge of his superpower means that there is something she is Afraid of or she is scared that something could happen to him, either way for the sake of the thrilling aspect of the story it has to be this way.
Ndive Mzamo
Currently Reading: The Price of Dreams
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ndive-mzamo.html
Latest Review: Amora by Grant Hallstrom
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Ndive Mzamo »

Yes. It would be different because Rion would have developed confidence and not be isolated from others. If he knew about his powers would accept himself.
Iva Stoyanova
Currently Reading: WatchDogs Abnormal Beginnings
Bookshelf Size: 272
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-iva-stoyanova.html
Latest Review: Tau Ceti: A Ship from Earth by George T. Hahn

Post by Iva Stoyanova »

Yes, it would definitely have been different if they weren't keeping it a secret from each other. It's always better to share and tell the truth. However, the whole story revolves around this so it was an important feature.
"You can be more aware and more present simply by resting in the present moment, open to all that is, without trying to control it or grasp it with the mind. Truly, a marvelous way of being!"

Richard L. Haight
Mutai Marshal
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 515
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mutai-marshal.html
Latest Review: A Reckoning of Wolves by Judy Higgins

Post by Mutai Marshal »

Parents play key roles in a child's upbringing. The lack of honesty, therefore, made things pan out differently for Rion. Therefore, I believe some openness would have made Rion an outright confident individual.
Amy Luman
Currently Reading: Time Before Time
Bookshelf Size: 1015
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: All the Targets by Noah Bond

Post by Amy Luman »

I’d never really thought about it, but they could have at least tried to help each other. If his mother had shared he probably could have refined his powers earlier and perhaps avoided the entire war. But then there wouldn’t have been a book, would there?
Amy Luman
Currently Reading: Time Before Time
Bookshelf Size: 1015
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: All the Targets by Noah Bond

Post by Amy Luman »

I’d never really thought about it, but they could have at least tried to help each other. If his mother had shared he probably could have refined his powers earlier and perhaps avoided the entire war. But then there wouldn’t have been a book, would there?
Fola Moni
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 165
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fola-moni.html
Latest Review: Moonlight Serenade by Terry Mark

Post by Fola Moni »

Yes, they could have confided in each other from the start. I have to lay the blame at his mom's feet for this because I believe she is the adult here.

On the other hand, the plot revolves heavily around the secret, so it is integral
MayorE
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mayore.html
Latest Review: Remarkably Intact by Celia Belt

Post by MayorE »

Yes, I think things would have been very different and way easier especially for Rion if they were open and honest with each other about their abilities. But then again, the storyline would take a very different turn.
Christine Onyango 1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christine-onyango-1.html
Latest Review: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks by Morton E Tavel, MD

Post by Christine Onyango 1 »

I think that it would be easier for both of them if the mother was open to the son and the son to the mother about their unique abilities. However, in my view, this plot is a depiction of the many struggles that most families out there have with being opening up to each other and I think it boils down to trust. Moreover, the secret has been very instrumental in pushing forward the plot which takes us through Rion and his mother's journey in conquering their fears and learning to trust each other.

Return to “Discuss "The Fourth Kinetic" by Brady Moore”