Is this another coming-of-age fantasy about a super-powered teen, his friends and rivals?

Use this forum to discuss the September 2021 Book of the month, "The Fourth Kinetic: Clairvoyants Book 1" by Brady Moore
Choky
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-choky.html
Latest Review: My life uncensored by Cristina Caymares

Re: Is this another coming-of-age fantasy about a super-powered teen, his friends and rivals?

Post by Choky »

This book might have the common concept of a people with superpowers are hunted down by an organisation that wants to capture them, but i believe that it has some slight amazing changes in the story. This book has another perspective and it's intriguing.
Asfiya Z
Currently Reading: 30th Century: Escape (First Edition)
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-asfiya-z.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Asfiya Z »

Yes, I believe so. This kid was a loner, had trouble socializing, didn't have the perfect family, and then suddenly one day he gets superpowers then boom! Now he's a superhero.
Tarie07
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tarie07.html
Latest Review: Korian: Ark of the Fallen King by Giorgio Garofalo

Post by Tarie07 »

I think this is another coming of age fantasy. Rion is a high school kid with social problems, typical of every sci-fi book I have come across. I'm disappointed that this did not turn out to be a unique read.
Mr_James
Currently Reading: A grand deception
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mr-james.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White

Post by Mr_James »

The Fourth Kinetic has the characteristics of a typical young adult science fiction. The introverted teenager that is not fully aware of his background, discovers his special abilities and is being hunted by villains. I enjoyed the novel even though I wish Brady was more creative.
azengaKE
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-azengake.html
Latest Review: Wellness Toolbox by Don Roberts

Post by azengaKE »

Personally, i think the storyline is similar to the others ,only that the author gave this one a different twist on how the teen realized his superpower.This gives it a unique taste.
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: Killing Shore
Bookshelf Size: 2389
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

Medhansh Bhardwaj wrote: 03 Sep 2021, 05:28 I agree with you. A school student has trouble socializing and ends up being a loner. He has a disturbed family background, and has a poor life overall. Suddenly, some mystical being/object/weapon comes in his contact and boom! We have a superhero! Classic Spiderman.
Exactly. It's even formulaic, which you described perfectly. Which is not necessarily a bad thing. Tropes become tropes because they work and people feel identified with them or they "click" with them at some level. Of course, one can dislike these tropes. Personally, I don't love the superhero/chosen one stories, but I understand why many people do. And that's why we keep seeing the same stories over and over. At least in my opinion.
Shivansh_007
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shivansh-007.html
Latest Review: Fish Wielder by J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison

Post by Shivansh_007 »

I will say it is another sci-fi/fantasy coming of age story that has been shown to us in a number of ways. But it has got a bit of spice in it. The way the author has portrayed the relationship between Rion and his mother is something we don't see so commonly.
Rishi_reviews
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rishi-reviews.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Post by Rishi_reviews »

I think it's another coming of age sci-fi fantasy novel. Although the writer has given us a different kind of relationship for the mother and son but still it is not much different from any other book.
Arunima Halder
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-arunima-halder.html
Latest Review: Fast Starting a Career of Consequence: Workbook by Fred Sievert

Post by Arunima Halder »

Rion was born with his powers, but forced to use them only when he stepped into his high school. This has the trope of "the chosen". Hence, it is not very different from other contemporary fantasies.
Chijindu Ifedigbo
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chijindu-ifedigbo.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Chijindu Ifedigbo »

Yes, I think there would be another coming-to-age sci-fi fantasy. A school student suddenly get powers and got the responsibility for its usage.
Marlene Venter
Favorite Book: The Complete Sherlock Holmes
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marlene-venter.html
Latest Review: The Biblical Clock by Daniel Friedmann and Dania Sheldon

Post by Marlene Venter »

To me, the story felt like another coming-of-age, science fiction, fantasy novel. The fighting scenes and action were interesting, but an author would have to go far to set himself apart from the crowd in creating a completely unique, unpredictable super-power story.
Bridgette C 2
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bridgette-c-2.html
Latest Review: Mythic Worlds and the One You Can Believe In by Harold Toliver

Post by Bridgette C 2 »

I think so. Hey, what if Iron Man discovered this teenage boy? Just kidding.

Anyway, it's kind of another coming-of-age fantasy about a super-powered teen, his friends and rivals. He's sorta loner, like an introvert. And then, his life changed when he acquired superpowers. I think it's a great story concept though. Just another adventurous fantasy some future readers might enjoy.
Susan Gibbs
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-susan-gibbs.html
Latest Review: Play Golf Better Faster: From Weekend Golfer to Pro Golfer in Two Years by Kalliope Barlis

Post by Susan Gibbs »

I agree that is a common storyline. I immediately thought of the X-men sagas, which I see several other members have mentioned. Someone with unusual powers is misunderstood and others try to eradicate him or her. Learning to control their powers is also a common theme in these stories. This story is a little different in that the hero is a young black guy and his mother knew about his powers. Often the hero's superpowers are not known by their family. I still think the author did a good job with the book though.
Susan Gibbs
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-susan-gibbs.html
Latest Review: Play Golf Better Faster: From Weekend Golfer to Pro Golfer in Two Years by Kalliope Barlis

Post by Susan Gibbs »

Courtney Hughes wrote: 02 Sep 2021, 22:47 This book has all the aspects you mentioned: coming-of-age, battle of good and evil, fantasy, etc. I think that the author was able to capture my attention with the relationship Rion has with his mother and his inability to make meaningful connections at first. I think that those points are something different the author offers to the reader.
I think Courtney has summarised it well. Rion's relationship with his mother and his mother herself and his shyness makes this story different from other similar coming of age and fantasy stories.
T T 2
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-t-t-2.html
Latest Review: Three loves and other stories by Lata Gullapalli

Post by T T 2 »

Yes, it is your same old coming of age, group of people with superpowers coming together to fight the evil story. The plot was nice but still a cliche.

Return to “Discuss "The Fourth Kinetic" by Brady Moore”