Are racism and discrimination are discussed as sub (or hidden) topics under the main plot?

Use this forum to discuss the September 2021 Book of the month, "The Fourth Kinetic: Clairvoyants Book 1" by Brady Moore
Miracle Chidera 1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miracle-chidera-1.html
Latest Review: Can I Be Frank? by Rob Wyatt

Re: Are racism and discrimination are discussed as sub (or hidden) topics under the main plot?

Post by Miracle Chidera 1 »

The author clearly touched on issues such as racism and discrimination but clearly chose not to dwell on it. Like he was saying, "Look at this (racism), look at this (discrimination), but focus on the bigger picture."
Chijindu Ifedigbo
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chijindu-ifedigbo.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Chijindu Ifedigbo »

Rasicm and discrimination were discussed but was not explained properly in the novel because that was not the main idea of the book. The author paased the message that all people are to be treated equally irrespective of their color. The author did a good job
Alyssa444
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alyssa444.html
Latest Review: The Fourth Kinetic by Brady Moore

Post by Alyssa444 »

I think this is another topic introduced in the beginning and not carried out throughout the book. I didn't feel like it made any difference what color his skin was when he met the Phantoms or Predators. They didn't look at him wierdly or treat him less kindly or cruelly in the Predator's case.
Purplesturv
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-purplesturv.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Post by Purplesturv »

I want to believe the topic of racism and discrimination were not discussed in detail so as not to deflect from the main theme of the book. Succinctly referring to these topics still sends a strong message across regardless.
Niklaus Mikaelson 1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by Niklaus Mikaelson 1 »

I think the author was trying to express bus concern about certain contemporary issues. The author definitely touched the issue of racism and discrimination.
Bridgette C 2
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bridgette-c-2.html
Latest Review: Mythic Worlds and the One You Can Believe In by Harold Toliver

Post by Bridgette C 2 »

I noticed that quite it is. The author seems to discuss racism and discrimination in the story. I think the author seeks to raise this issue in order to make people realize that judging an individual based on his/her appearance is not a basis to treat him/her indifferently. This is what makes the story good because it promotes equality.
Susan Gibbs
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-susan-gibbs.html
Latest Review: Play Golf Better Faster: From Weekend Golfer to Pro Golfer in Two Years by Kalliope Barlis

Post by Susan Gibbs »

It probably was inevitable to hint at the topic of discrimination, but it is good if it is not delved into too deeply as it might have been too overpowering for the plot when there is already the issue of discrimination towards Rion due to the superpowers he has
kenneth katsekera
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by kenneth katsekera »

The author didn't clarify clearly on what we must be done in order to end racism nd discrimination
for good. He even touched those topics very few times throughout his explanation but still he made a very tangible sense by coming up with some evidence that is in touch with the storyline .
Paluk Pathania
Favorite Book: Pride and Prejudice
Currently Reading: All the Light We Cannot See
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paluk-pathania.html
Latest Review: Bitcoin Answered by Jon Law

Post by Paluk Pathania »

Yes, I completely agree that the author's intentions were something like that. Throughout the book, I had this feeling a lot of the times which felt pretty fine too.
bello jamiu5
Currently Reading: A Dream For Peace
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bello-jamiu5.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White

Post by bello jamiu5 »

Brady Moore was very careful not to bring up the subject of racism, which was quite wise of him. The author, however, did not give much time to the theme of racism due to the rushed nature of the work.
Ikechukwu Chisimdi Miracle
Currently Reading: Killing Abel
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chisimdi-i.html
Latest Review: Dark Matter Empire (Book 1) by Alex Zadeh

Post by Ikechukwu Chisimdi Miracle »

It was subtle but I noticed it. It was definitely intentional. More and more authors are begining to hide subtle facts about racism in their books. Sadly, Brady Moore didn't dwell on this aspect. But it was a great book.
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Time Before Time
Bookshelf Size: 1015
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: All the Targets by Noah Bond
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

I believe that he wanted to discuss those things as a subject,but he just didn’t get into them deeply enough. There are so many other things going on in the novel that it’s understandable. Mr. Moore didn’t do enough research on this topic. If he had, he would have realized that they can’t be dealt with fully in such a limited space.
Maria Ferreira Silva
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maria-ferreira-silva.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by Maria Ferreira Silva »

The way that the book was written underlines talks about racism, even though in a subtle way.
Mellino Itz
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mellino-itz.html
Latest Review: Good Sexual Hygiene & Spiritual Attitude by Anthony A. Morris

Post by Mellino Itz »

Sushan Ekanayake wrote: 01 Sep 2021, 10:53
Eriny Youssef wrote: 01 Sep 2021, 10:40 I see what the author did there. I encountered it in many books. I think they are hidden discussions. The authors sometimes communicate other issues unrelated to the main subject discussed by the plot. I think this is to send various messages that don't need a plot on their own or when it's the olace to discuss them at length.

And as it happened with you, those subtle mentions linger with the readers and send the message.
I agree. As we see the boy from a farmers' family and the boy with a difficulty in his leg was not mentioned afterwards their initial mentioning. They actually did nothing for the main plot, yet they remained in my mind because the author's message through them was strong.
These was exactly my thought
I kept anticipating more on the boy from the farmers family and the boy with the leg issue
Mellino Itz
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mellino-itz.html
Latest Review: Good Sexual Hygiene & Spiritual Attitude by Anthony A. Morris

Post by Mellino Itz »

I noticed the author included some hidden topics of racism and discriminations but I really do not know why the author did not dive deep into it. Personally, I would have loved it the author had kept that discussion strong.

Return to “Discuss "The Fourth Kinetic" by Brady Moore”