Are racism and discrimination are discussed as sub (or hidden) topics under the main plot?

Use this forum to discuss the September 2021 Book of the month, "The Fourth Kinetic: Clairvoyants Book 1" by Brady Moore
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: My Wind Therapy
Bookshelf Size: 407
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: My Wind Therapy: Motorcycling Through A History of Child Abuse And Domestic Violence by Queen Five Star
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Are racism and discrimination are discussed as sub (or hidden) topics under the main plot?

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

I notice the only three black kids chatting it up in the back. Even they manage to glare at me like my chocolate skin is something abnormal.
(Location 78 - Kindle version)
I wonder if having a metal boot, belonging to a poor family of farmers, or losing a friend has made their lives as somber as mine. Maybe we’re all just members of The Breakfast Club, waiting to be placed in detention together.
(Location 367 - Kindle version)

Brady Moore has used a black teen as his protagonist and have shown difficulties that he faces with just because he is black.

And also he has shown how people are cornered and treated differently because of their family status, disabilities, etc.

It is true that these differences and remarks make it easy to the reader to identify the characters separately and keep them in mind. But I feel as the author has wanted to show the bad aspects of racism and treating people without equality. And he shows how an insignificant and an ignored fellow can be the most clever or the useful one.

Do you see these hidden discussions as well? What do you think the author's intention has been, is it just to develop different characters or to discuss the above-mentioned topics subtly under the main plot?
Eriny Youssef
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 97
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eriny-youssef.html
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann

Post by Eriny Youssef »

I see what the author did there. I encountered it in many books. I think they are hidden discussions. The authors sometimes communicate other issues unrelated to the main subject discussed by the plot. I think this is to send various messages that don't need a plot on their own or when it's the olace to discuss them at length.

And as it happened with you, those subtle mentions linger with the readers and send the message.
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann
Sushan Ekanayake
Latest Review: My Wind Therapy: Motorcycling Through A History of Child Abuse And Domestic Violence by Queen Five Star

Eriny Youssef wrote: 01 Sep 2021, 10:40 I see what the author did there. I encountered it in many books. I think they are hidden discussions. The authors sometimes communicate other issues unrelated to the main subject discussed by the plot. I think this is to send various messages that don't need a plot on their own or when it's the olace to discuss them at length.

And as it happened with you, those subtle mentions linger with the readers and send the message.
I agree. As we see the boy from a farmers' family and the boy with a difficulty in his leg was not mentioned afterwards their initial mentioning. They actually did nothing for the main plot, yet they remained in my mind because the author's message through them was strong.
Kirsi Cultrera
Currently Reading: Then Comes The Flood
Bookshelf Size: 196
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kirsi-cultrera.html
Latest Review: Remembering Stardust by C. D. Baker

Post by Kirsi Cultrera »

I think that the author’s hidden agenda behind these characters is to raise conversations about racism and accepting different people as equals. Unfortunately, it is common to see only the nice outside appearance and judge people by their looks, skin color or whatever. This will never change unless we keep bringing it up. To me it seems that this author is doing his part.
Kirsi
Christine Joy G 1
Favorite Book: How To Be Successful
Currently Reading: The Date Farm
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christine-joy-g-1.html
Latest Review: Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer's Guide by William H. Coles

Post by Christine Joy G 1 »

Racism and discrimination are shown but not strongly emphasize because that's not what the authors want to show. He wants to convey that all people must be treated fairly despite the color of skin, disability, and social class. The author did a great job!
Ailakhu Yusau Aizhebiomon
Currently Reading: Purges of the Soul
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ailakhu-yusau-aizhebiomon.html
Latest Review: Advanced Lotto Rotation System by Joseph Z Vlasic

Post by Ailakhu Yusau Aizhebiomon »

The author subtly introduced the menace of racism and discrimination under the same plot though with a major heading but infuse some other subheadings which the author feels can be discussed along the same path. I think the reason is that authors try to introduce so many issues under a different heading which may make the book too lengthy and uninteresting.
marta baglioni
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marta-baglioni.html
Latest Review: Shatter Girl by Shay Miranda

Post by marta baglioni »

I think this was indeed the intent of the author, although I wish this subject was examined more thoroughly: it would have added more dept to the novel
Sushan Ekanayake

Kirsi_78 wrote: 02 Sep 2021, 02:20 I think that the author’s hidden agenda behind these characters is to raise conversations about racism and accepting different people as equals. Unfortunately, it is common to see only the nice outside appearance and judge people by their looks, skin color or whatever. This will never change unless we keep bringing it up. To me it seems that this author is doing his part.
Yes, what is needed to settle the matter is continous attention and discussion, and the author has taken discrimination on to surface in various forms like racism and being differently abled. The message that finally given about the need of everyone for success gives the necessary message about discrimination.
Sushan Ekanayake

Christine Joy G 1 wrote: 02 Sep 2021, 06:11 Racism and discrimination are shown but not strongly emphasize because that's not what the authors want to show. He wants to convey that all people must be treated fairly despite the color of skin, disability, and social class. The author did a great job!
The mentionings were never strong, and they were never repeated. We do not see the disabled boy or the farm boy at the latter parts of the book. Maybe the author wanted to take the issue to discussion without creating a distraction to the main plot, and seemingly he has done that well.
Sushan Ekanayake

Omega_01 wrote: 02 Sep 2021, 07:09 The author subtly introduced the menace of racism and discrimination under the same plot though with a major heading but infuse some other subheadings which the author feels can be discussed along the same path. I think the reason is that authors try to introduce so many issues under a different heading which may make the book too lengthy and uninteresting.
The author should get the credit for the subtlety that he used in introducing these additional topics of interest. He could have gone for lengthy descriptions, but he avoided that to avoid any distractions. But he repeatedly reminded the issue related to discrimination, starting it with racism and then reminding it with how Clairvoyants treated their own kind differently depending on their abilities and strengths.
Sushan Ekanayake

marba wrote: 02 Sep 2021, 08:12 I think this was indeed the intent of the author, although I wish this subject was examined more thoroughly: it would have added more dept to the novel
If discussed in detail it would have been great for those who are interested in such topics. But I think majority of the readers of this book won't expect such a philosophical discussion, but a fast paced sci-fi thriller, and the author very well provided that. All the other side topics are to be discussed outside the main plot, among the readers' communities. Brady Moore has simply given many other things than his story to the reader to think about.
Jessica045
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessica045.html
Latest Review: George by James H Russell

Post by Jessica045 »

I also noticed it. But due to how fast paced the book was, the author did not dwell on the topic of racism, making it less and almost unnoticeable and insignificant in the book.
Sushan Ekanayake

Jessica045 wrote: 02 Sep 2021, 20:19 I also noticed it. But due to how fast paced the book was, the author did not dwell on the topic of racism, making it less and almost unnoticeable and insignificant in the book.
I think that was done intentionally. Since it was not a main or relevant topic the author did not dwell on that. But mentioned racism and discrimination to a level which will certainly get the attention of the reader. If the author directly said anything about that it won't be subjected to discussion like this.
RHD
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rhd.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by RHD »

Personally, I would go with both. One reader will interpret that Brady Moore was developing characters, while another will interpret the author was trying to discuss racism. In my opinion, the author intention is to hit two birds with one stone.
Medhansh Bhardwaj
Currently Reading: Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-medhansh-bhardwaj.html
Latest Review: Mrs. White’s SUB SNIPS by Laura Moss White

Post by Medhansh Bhardwaj »

The author definitely touched the topic of racism and discrimination a few times throughout the book. But, he was quite subtle in his approach regarding these subjects. I think he wanted to just give a small buzz to the readers instead of going deep into these topics, as his main focus was on the storyline.

Return to “Discuss "The Fourth Kinetic" by Brady Moore”