Are racism and discrimination are discussed as sub (or hidden) topics under the main plot?

Use this forum to discuss the September 2021 Book of the month, "The Fourth Kinetic: Clairvoyants Book 1" by Brady Moore
vitalisvicky
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vitalisvicky.html
Latest Review: Randy the Irresistible by S M Goodier

Re: Are racism and discrimination are discussed as sub (or hidden) topics under the main plot?

Post by vitalisvicky »

Personally, I see the author's intentions were to bring out clearly the aspect of color discrimination and injustices caused by inequalities in the contemporary world. Brady Moore's idea of using a black child as the protagonist of the story was to bring out the concept of racial discrimination, and its effect.
Luchris_michael
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-luchris-michael.html
Latest Review: Rulers of the Galaxy by Tayma Tameem

Post by Luchris_michael »

The author touched on the topic of racism and discrimination a few times throughout the book. Although he was quite subtle in his approach to the subjects. I believe it was intentional.
Asfiya Z
Currently Reading: 30th Century: Escape (First Edition)
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-asfiya-z.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Asfiya Z »

Although racism and discrimination are shown, they are not strongly emphasized because that is not the authors' intent. He wants to convey that all people must be treated fairly despite the color of skin, disability, and social class. The author has done a great job!
Jack Watson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jack-watson.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Jack Watson »

I think the author included the issues but did not make them the focus of the story. I felt the author did a good job in mirroring the issue of race as it is for most people of color in real life. Most of the time it is an issue that influences your life and environment strongly without taking center stage. When Rion walks into a classroom he notices the black kids at the back. It's something that is at the back of the mind, but it's not at the forefront a hundred percent of the time. I feel like the author captures this with the theme of race and other topics.
Osako
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-osako.html
Latest Review: The Senator's Suitcase by Mitch Engel

Post by Osako »

The author definitely achieved two goals of bringing out the distinct characters while also highlighting the various societal stereotypes and challenges like discrimination on various levels. However, he did not want to outrightly make it the main point as that would have submerged the characters in the issues and posed a threat of losing the storyline.
kirthana_shivakumar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kirthana-shivakumar.html
Latest Review: Depiction of women characters as Victims of Oppresion and Agents of action in selected short stories by Rushika Gill

Post by kirthana_shivakumar »

I think they're subtly discussed in the course of the book. I enjoyed that it was discussed and that it was done in a manner where he didn't have to come right out and say it. This also suited the genre and plot.
Chimdiya A
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chimdiya-a.html
Latest Review: Who Told You That You Were Naked? by William Combs

Post by Chimdiya A »

The author I must say us very talented, there were hidden plots and characters about racism, how he was able to subtly remind his readers to accept and treat everyone equally is very nice and interesting
Choky
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-choky.html
Latest Review: My life uncensored by Cristina Caymares

Post by Choky »

I identified the hidden discussions. I applaud the author for bringing forth controversial subjects like racism and discrimination among social classes. I also would like to believe that the author's intentions was for the readers to be able to openly discuss about it.
Chimdiya A
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chimdiya-a.html
Latest Review: Who Told You That You Were Naked? by William Combs

Post by Chimdiya A »

The author is great and know his job well. How he subtly reminded the readers how racism is very bad and should be stopped.
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: Killing Shore
Bookshelf Size: 2389
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

It both speaks about the characters, their values and what they consider or not to be important, and it speaks about or society, too. But I think it also brings realism to a story that needs it. I despise these traits but, unfortunately, they're a part of our daily life, and incorporating them helps add a touch of realism to the story.
Shivansh_007
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shivansh-007.html
Latest Review: Fish Wielder by J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison

Post by Shivansh_007 »

The author tries his best to touch the topic of racism, but in a very subtle way. He didn't emphasize on it a lot, but didn't leave it behind the curtains as well. A job well done by him I must say.
Unique Ego
Favorite Book: The Tales of Little Lady M
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unique-ego.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Unique Ego »

Sushan wrote: 01 Sep 2021, 00:28
I notice the only three black kids chatting it up in the back. Even they manage to glare at me like my chocolate skin is something abnormal.
(Location 78 - Kindle version)
I wonder if having a metal boot, belonging to a poor family of farmers, or losing a friend has made their lives as somber as mine. Maybe we’re all just members of The Breakfast Club, waiting to be placed in detention together.
(Location 367 - Kindle version)

Brady Moore has used a black teen as his protagonist and have shown difficulties that he faces with just because he is black.

And also he has shown how people are cornered and treated differently because of their family status, disabilities, etc.

It is true that these differences and remarks make it easy to the reader to identify the characters separately and keep them in mind. But I feel as the author has wanted to show the bad aspects of racism and treating people without equality. And he shows how an insignificant and an ignored fellow can be the most clever or the useful one.

Do you see these hidden discussions as well? What do you think the author's intention has been, is it just to develop different characters or to discuss the above-mentioned topics subtly under the main plot?
Sushan wrote: 01 Sep 2021, 00:28
I notice the only three black kids chatting it up in the back. Even they manage to glare at me like my chocolate skin is something abnormal.
(Location 78 - Kindle version)
I wonder if having a metal boot, belonging to a poor family of farmers, or losing a friend has made their lives as somber as mine. Maybe we’re all just members of The Breakfast Club, waiting to be placed in detention together.
(Location 367 - Kindle version)

Brady Moore has used a black teen as his protagonist and have shown difficulties that he faces with just because he is black.

And also he has shown how people are cornered and treated differently because of their family status, disabilities, etc.

It is true that these differences and remarks make it easy to the reader to identify the characters separately and keep them in mind. But I feel as the author has wanted to show the bad aspects of racism and treating people without equality. And he shows how an insignificant and an ignored fellow can be the most clever or the useful one.

Do you see these hidden discussions as well? What do you think the author's intention has been, is it just to develop different characters or to discuss the above-mentioned topics subtly under the main plot?
Yes, I did see sub-discussions of racism and discrimination, but I can't that it was one of the core points of the book. This is because I've such strategies used in a plethora of other stories. Discrimination based on skin color, financial status, social cadre, etc. are established realities of our present society, and authors naturally tend to draw inspiration from real life when they write. That's all this is. My point is if we lived in a world devoid of racism and discrimination, none of that would have shown up in Moore's work.
Rishi_reviews
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rishi-reviews.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Post by Rishi_reviews »

I like the way the author has discussed racism and discrimination in a very subtle way. He is not emphasizing on it that much but at the same time is not leaving it to be. Incredibly structured.
William Kariuki
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-william-kariuki.html
Latest Review: Jesus, Prosperity Gospel and Poverty in Africa by Elijah Oladimeji

Post by William Kariuki »

The extent at which discrimination and racism has been used in the book is very minute and clearly out of author's intentions. I think he feels that all races should be treated the same as the black kids thinks that his chocolate skin is abnormal.
Uchechukwu Okereke
Currently Reading: The Aftermath Of The King
Bookshelf Size: 42

Post by Uchechukwu Okereke »

I believe the mentioning of those side character who were never mentioned again I might add, might've been a cameo of sort introduced by the author to give his impression on certain social issues. The fact that none of those issues nor characters were brought up again kind of proves my point.

Return to “Discuss "The Fourth Kinetic" by Brady Moore”