Are racism and discrimination are discussed as sub (or hidden) topics under the main plot?

Use this forum to discuss the September 2021 Book of the month, "The Fourth Kinetic: Clairvoyants Book 1" by Brady Moore
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: My Wind Therapy
Bookshelf Size: 407
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: My Wind Therapy: Motorcycling Through A History of Child Abuse And Domestic Violence by Queen Five Star
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Re: Are racism and discrimination are discussed as sub (or hidden) topics under the main plot?

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

Emily_Jen wrote: 08 Sep 2021, 13:32 Even before I saw this topic, I did think the author intended to address racism and discrimination in a subtle manner. What better way to address those topics than to integrate them into a fast-paced thriller that would keep everyone on the edge of their seats.
The cover page picture did a good service for this intention of the author. It portrays a Black kid, and so the reader immediately gets that the hero is Black. Brady Moore well utilized that start later on his story and showed how Rion was bullied just for being black, and how such a suppressed fellow can be a hero and a saviour for the whole world.
Elisa Joy Ocasla
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elisa-joy-ocasla.html
Latest Review: Speech! by Simon Prentis

Post by Elisa Joy Ocasla »

It is clear that the author has made considerable efforts on enlightening and empowering equity and even-handedness. Bigotry and discrimination have been implicitly laid forth to serve a purpose. However, I believe he succeeded, despite the fact that he may go beyond the centrality of the book. Having to address such a pervasive issue is critical, and even though it may contradict the book's enthusiasm, he attempted to do so concurrently but subtly.
Tirza Hull
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tirza-hull.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Post by Tirza Hull »

I think the author just stated the obvious, there is all kinds of clicks and groups viewed in school days. We didn't think like adults, we thought in terms of popularity. Anyone could be a different color, or different groups, internal societies. We didn't think racial, we thought cool. Politics weren't in the school system. Still to this day they try to influence the school system, yet it will always remain. Who is the cool kids and who isn't. Racism isn't a factor in high school age. Did the author purposely choose a high school kid for his main character??? That remains to be seen. He did so, racism is out. Popularity is in. The best part is the main character still has time to grow and become better than his older counterparts. Which in this book he already has.
Sushan Ekanayake
Latest Review: My Wind Therapy: Motorcycling Through A History of Child Abuse And Domestic Violence by Queen Five Star

Khushboo Barwar wrote: 08 Sep 2021, 23:41 The moment I saw the cover with a black boy, I knew there will be these discussions. The author did these so subtly that these don’t raise any conflicts but at the same time are able to gain the attention of the reader. I think, in today’s scenario it made so much sense taking a black protagonist and displaying his difficulties. These subtle excerpts added value to the book.
Brady Moore did not stop by showing the difficulties that Rion faced because he was black, but also showed how he overcame them. And he did not stop there. He helped other discriminated kids as well. He became the hero and the saviour for many who were discriminated. And that message is far more deep than a mere sci-fi fantasy.
Courtney Hughes
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-courtney-hughes.html
Latest Review: Summer in the City by Kevin Phelps

Post by Courtney Hughes »

I do agree that racism and discrimination are underlying tones in the book. I don’t think they are a huge impact on the plot but they are there maybe for us as readers to see that the character also lives in a discriminatory world. Also, it fits with the pop culture references Rion makes throughout the beginning of the book (Nas, The Breakfast Club, A Tribe Called Quest).
Sushan Ekanayake

Kim Jek wrote: 10 Sep 2021, 17:38 These hidden discussons are present and can't be ignored. Even Dee is presented as having curly hair and dark skin. This factor obviously influenced how they were treated by others in school.
Yes, the discriminated ones are the ones who actually got together to help each other. But I am not sure whether the author is giving a healthy message via this. In my opinion a better approach would have been some white kid becoming friendly with Rion. Or if Dee was necessary for that, she would have been a white girl. Then a good message can be conveyed as 'not all the Whites are bullies, and all of them do not want to discriminate the Backs'.
Esther11
Favorite Book: The Shining
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-esther11.html
Latest Review: Manifesto for a Cancer Patient by Colleen Huber, NMD
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Esther11 »

I can see racism and discrimination hidden in the book. I think the author wants to show the readers the problems we are facing in everyday life and make the book relatable but doesn't want to focus on that too much.
Sushan Ekanayake

Kim Jek wrote: 10 Sep 2021, 17:38 These hidden discussons are present and can't be ignored. Even Dee is presented as having curly hair and dark skin. This factor obviously influenced how they were treated by others in school.
In addition to that it shows how discriminated ones get together and lend a hand to each other without any hesitation whenever needed. Rion helped the guy with a issue in his leg to get into the bus while even the driver tried to leave him behind. And it was Dee who approached the lonely black kid since no other white kid was willing to accept him to their circles. The author subtly shows how discriminated ones get together for themselves and against their bullies, giving a strong message to the bullies to be careful.
Novela book
Favorite Book: Chameleons
Currently Reading: The Midnight Library
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-novela-book.html
Latest Review: Hattie Vavaseur by M. Rebecca Wildsmith

Post by Novela book »

Racism has been the biggest issue of society ad is still one of the biggest. The author has tried to show his support to such people and raised his voice in his own way on the matter, which is appreciative to me.
Sushan Ekanayake

Elisa Joy Ocasla wrote: 11 Sep 2021, 03:19 It is clear that the author has made considerable efforts on enlightening and empowering equity and even-handedness. Bigotry and discrimination have been implicitly laid forth to serve a purpose. However, I believe he succeeded, despite the fact that he may go beyond the centrality of the book. Having to address such a pervasive issue is critical, and even though it may contradict the book's enthusiasm, he attempted to do so concurrently but subtly.
Brady Moore knew how to make the reader thoughtful and inquisitive regarding unrelated topics to the main story without distracting the reader or breaking the flow of the plot. That is what we see in him raising this topic of racism and discrimination. Creating a black protagonist was a genius move to repeatedly remind the reader about how Blacks are being discriminated despite their abilities or importance to the others.
Joseph Mutuku 1
Currently Reading: TBD August 2022 Book of the Month
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joseph-mutuku-1.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White

Post by Joseph Mutuku 1 »

I think while reading this book it was easier to notice a few instances of racial and discrimination undertone. Though the author didn't bring a clear discussion on this, I think it was easier to notice; the challenges faced by the black protagonist were just enough to show it.
Chinaka94
Currently Reading: Making Her His
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinaka94.html
Latest Review: E M P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Chinaka94 »

It started with Rion being a black kid. Instead of the usual narrative. I believe the author is subtly trying to draw attention to the fact that issues of racism and discrimination are still existent and experienced by many people. I love it.
Jennifer Garcia 555
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Vagabond
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennifer-garcia-555.html
Latest Review: Somebody’s Watching You by Robin D'Amato

Post by Jennifer Garcia 555 »

I believe the author was sending the subtle message that you should not judge people, or exclude them, because of their appearance. He even mentions how Dee wants to befriend them and eventually does. It is a nice message, and I am glad the author included it.
“Isn’t it nice to think that tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it yet?” — L. M. Montgomery
Amynwankwo_
Currently Reading: My Enemy in Vietnam
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amynwankwo.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White

Post by Amynwankwo_ »

The author while delivering the plot tried to send an underlying message about the issues of racism etc. it’s normal to see authors subtly bring up societal issues in order to raise much needed conversations. It’s like trying to achieve two things at a time.
Killian Nichilo
Currently Reading: The Selection
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-killian-nichilo.html
Latest Review: The Fourth Kinetic by Brady Moore
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Killian Nichilo »

I don't know if this is going out on a limb; or if it would be considered too far fetched. But you could also argue that the idea that a good portion of the Clairvoyants at least the ones we have met are POC. It could be implied that there is a subtle metaphor that people of color are powerful; and this scares many people who are merely used to the stereotypes they grew up with.

Return to “Discuss "The Fourth Kinetic" by Brady Moore”