Are racism and discrimination are discussed as sub (or hidden) topics under the main plot?

Use this forum to discuss the September 2021 Book of the month, "The Fourth Kinetic: Clairvoyants Book 1" by Brady Moore
Katherine Smith
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 524">Nancy Drew</a>
Currently Reading: The Complete Tales and Poems of Edgar Allen Poe
Bookshelf Size: 504
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katherine-smith.html
Latest Review: "Whisky tango foxtrot...copy" by John regan
Reading Device: B01KVZV52A

Re: Are racism and discrimination are discussed as sub (or hidden) topics under the main plot?

Post by Katherine Smith »

I think that the author wanted to make a statement or a point about the how toxic racism can be. I also think that he wanted to show how racism or discrimination of any kind sets a society back. As you wrote in your review, the people who are treated poorly are often those who are needed to most to solve difficult problems. The same can be said in our society, where the most contributions in any field have come from those who were told that they couldn't attend certain schools or apply to certain jobs.
Latest Review: "Whisky tango foxtrot...copy" by John regan
Recee Ann
Currently Reading: Purges of the Soul
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-recee-ann.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Recee Ann »

The author touched the subject of racism but only on a light matter. What he did was to raise awareness to people that everyone needed to be treated equally, regardless,of their skin color or nationality. The manner he said it was so light that it didn't interrupt the main story, which is quite clever.
Mbenma Esther 080
Currently Reading: My Enemy in Vietnam
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mbenma-esther-080.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Mbenma Esther 080 »

The author did a great job of introducing racism and not focusing on it. I love the frequency he maintained because he didn't deviate from the major storyline.
Eunice Geres
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 145
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eunice-geres.html
Latest Review: Stevie Tenderheart Books WAIT A MINUTE! (An Illustrated Novella) by Steve William Laible

Post by Eunice Geres »

Every book always has an underlying message aside from the main message the author wanted to project in the plot. For this, the author wants to convey that all people, regardless of skin color, disability, and social class, should be treated fairly. In this book, the author did a great job, the sub-messages are not forcedly put in the plot.
Hyacinth Bella
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hyacinth-bella.html
Latest Review: The Magician's Secret by Charles Townsend

Post by Hyacinth Bella »

I think this is a hidden plot or discussion written by the author to let readers think more critically and think outside the context of the story. When you're a critical leader, you'll see a lot of discussions hidden under the main plot of the story.
Daniel Jembi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-daniel-jembi.html
Latest Review: Sandra Eden's War by Michael Low

Post by Daniel Jembi »

Race was definitely highlighted in the narrative. Dee's afro was alluded to, and the attitude of other kids were influenced by race as well.
Cynthia Olyy
Currently Reading: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cynthia-olyy.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Cynthia Olyy »

It is what it is—hidden, subtle. The author's idea around this is to address racism without mentioning it. This is where the most ignored kid usually becomes the most resourceful.
SweetSourSalty AndSpicy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 238
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sweetsoursalty-andspicy.html
Latest Review: The Killers’ Therapist by Jonathan David

Post by SweetSourSalty AndSpicy »

I noticed that too, and I agree. The descriptions not only make the characters distinct. I think they intend to explore the concepts of discrimination and empowerment.
Katie Blackmore
Favorite Book: The Glass Castle
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katie-blackmore.html
Latest Review: The Light of Canopus by Frasar

Post by Katie Blackmore »

I think the author did a really great job subtlety addressing discrimination and racism. I think people nowadays are more jaded and are tired of the race conversation and I think this is a good way for them to experience it. I enjoyed how it was not a main theme but you still felt it.
Ekezie1998
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 91
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ekezie1998.html
Latest Review: life lessons of wayne by shawn wayne swearingen

Post by Ekezie1998 »

I certainly believe that the author has subtly engineered the inclusion of the themes were of the unpleasantness of racism and discrimination into this plot and it is a timely reminder as always that we must always do the little we can to flush it out of society.
Ra Ka
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ra-ka.html
Latest Review: The Frights of Fiji by Sunayna Prasad

Post by Ra Ka »

I think that the author wanted to send messages to the reader by making the hero of his novel black-skinned, which is that people are not different from each other just by color, but by their actions, just as a person cannot choose his color or his family, so racism in these matters is a bad thing.
Ayomid
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ayomid.html
Latest Review: A Spiritual Dog: "Bear" by J. Wesley Porter

Post by Ayomid »

While I wouldn't say racism is actually intended, there are subtle references to race, body features and preferential treatment based on race. I believe this serves to make the story more realistic.
Beatus
Currently Reading: Homicide
Bookshelf Size: 74
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-beatus.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Beatus »

I believe the author wanted to create a mind picture that is a bit more accurate and depicts the real challenges faced by so different people in the world today. Yes, anyone is right to think there is a subtle message being communicated. It is how people due to their different backgrounds have different thinking structures. However, I beg to differ.
Mercy119
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fireside119.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Mercy119 »

I think the author did an excellent job of highlighting the significance of social class in daily interactions. Pointing out the characters' skin tone, however, made me wonder if they would have been treated differently if they were still black but wealthy.
amakaokoye
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amakaokoye.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by amakaokoye »

Yes, I totally agree. The author included racism and discrimination in the conversations because he was trying to pass a subtle message to us and he really did a great job at it because it caught my attention.

Return to “Discuss "The Fourth Kinetic" by Brady Moore”