Was the story too fast paced, or too centralized around the main character?

Use this forum to discuss the September 2021 Book of the month, "The Fourth Kinetic: Clairvoyants Book 1" by Brady Moore
Uchechukwu Okereke
Currently Reading: The Aftermath Of The King
Bookshelf Size: 42

Re: Was the story too fast paced, or too centralized around the main character?

Post by Uchechukwu Okereke »

I believe it is the former. The story was fast paced. Even while the author didn't develop the side characters, he also didn't develop the main character, either. for a 400+ pages book, there were a lot of things regarding the main characters personality that changed abruptly and that made the story feel a little disjointed.
Rizki Pradana
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rizki-pradana.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Rizki Pradana »

I agree with you because I feel like the storyline is too fast and also many characters are introduced by the author. I feel like the author wants to have many events happen in a short time.
Adelee Grobler
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adelee-grobler.html
Latest Review: Hemiphos by Stefanie Jacob
Reading Device: B0979KD57W

Post by Adelee Grobler »

I think there's a thing as too many plots. The character will sometimes lose all essence because of the twists and turns becoming the main substance.
Ondijo Junior
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ondijo-junior.html
Latest Review: Why Can't Johnny Just Quit? by Kyle Oh

Post by Ondijo Junior »

I liked the pace of the story can't say it was too fast or too slow but I would agree that the greater part of the was too centralized on Rion, the author could have considered other characters too.
Absenc Of Evidence, is Never an Evidence Of Absence
Chijindu Ifedigbo
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chijindu-ifedigbo.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Chijindu Ifedigbo »

I believe the story was forced and the main focus was only on Rion, the author did not pay attention to other characters. The novel is exciting and fun to read, thanks for this.
Miracle Chidera 1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miracle-chidera-1.html
Latest Review: Can I Be Frank? by Rob Wyatt

Post by Miracle Chidera 1 »

The plot was fastpaced and the supporting characters seemed forced and underdeveloped. What did we expect? Rion, himself was poorly developed.
iva_ivanova
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-iva-ivanova.html
Latest Review: Deviancy by Rose Linderman, Psy.D.

Post by iva_ivanova »

I must say this genre usually feels like the protagonist makes decisions for the sake of the plot moving forward. It did seem like Rion made choices like that too and that made him feel far less real to me. I look for that in any story, I want characters to go through thought processes that make them feel as real as I am. Rion did not make me feel that way.
dcruzsammy
Currently Reading: Wilderness Cry
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dcruzsammy.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by dcruzsammy »

I totally agree. I do enjoy fast paced stories in general so I had no problem with this. As for the supporting characters, I mostly want to focus on the protagonist, because when stories goes on too much about other char, I cannot connect with the main char too much. But for this book, it could really do more of the development and build up for the supporting characters and not just there to serve their purpose for Rion.
Susan Gibbs
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-susan-gibbs.html
Latest Review: Play Golf Better Faster: From Weekend Golfer to Pro Golfer in Two Years by Kalliope Barlis

Post by Susan Gibbs »

kperm wrote: 02 Sep 2021, 12:43
Sushan wrote: 01 Sep 2021, 00:29 It felt like the story jump from one point to another too quickly without giving any time to develop the supporting characters. At most occasions all the changes, actions, or the decisions of other characters occurred just to support the needs of the main protagonist. Sometimes they felt like forced and done with no real motivation of their own.

Did you feel this lack of character build up and the story being 'too-centralized' around Rion? Or was it simply because of the first person narrative?
I agree that the story felt forced. The characters were driven by the plot, and the author did not pay attention to developing the supportive characters. The book would be much more interesting if the supportive characters had more depth.
I like the way Kperm explained it. If the plot drives the characters, it might seem that the book does not flow properly and the story is forced around the intended plan of the storyline.
Paluk Pathania
Favorite Book: Pride and Prejudice
Currently Reading: All the Light We Cannot See
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paluk-pathania.html
Latest Review: Bitcoin Answered by Jon Law

Post by Paluk Pathania »

I completely agree with you here, so even for me, the story seemed pretty much fast-paced. It also seemed that it was more or less focused on Rion. I also found myself pondering about the fact from time to time, that probably the other characters seemed underdeveloped.
Harsh Soni 3
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: How To Be Successful
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harsh-soni-3.html
Latest Review: Money Habits Grandma Taught Me by Luke Pentagon

Post by Harsh Soni 3 »

I also feel that the story is fast-paced. The author gives little attention to character's development.
T T 2
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-t-t-2.html
Latest Review: Three loves and other stories by Lata Gullapalli

Post by T T 2 »

Yes, I absolutely agree with this point. The entire plot revolved around Rion and other’s were merely as support roles which didn’t made sense to me. All the characters in the story were equally important for the build up but jumping from one point to another just to bring Rion into limelight was a bit too much. Story indeed was fast-paced or rather jumpy with no particular reason behind it.
Mellino Itz
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mellino-itz.html
Latest Review: Good Sexual Hygiene & Spiritual Attitude by Anthony A. Morris

Post by Mellino Itz »

I agree with you on this. Most of the supporting characters felt very undeveloped and the entire story seem to focus so much on Rion.
bello olayiwola m
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bello-olayiwola-m.html
Latest Review: Winning the War on Cancer by Sylvie Beljanski

Post by bello olayiwola m »

I totally concur with you; in fact, I nearly said the same thing in my evaluation. There was very little of a balanced narrative where the characters drove the plot as opposed to the other way around. It felt very much like a "plot drives the characters" novel. I don't even think the story was overly centered on Rion; I just think it moved along too rapidly and had an irregular plot.

Return to “Discuss "The Fourth Kinetic" by Brady Moore”