Was the story too fast paced, or too centralized around the main character?

Use this forum to discuss the September 2021 Book of the month, "The Fourth Kinetic: Clairvoyants Book 1" by Brady Moore
Dr Chocha
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dr-chocha.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Re: Was the story too fast paced, or too centralized around the main character?

Post by Dr Chocha »

Sushan wrote: 01 Sep 2021, 00:29 It felt like the story jump from one point to another too quickly without giving any time to develop the supporting characters. At most occasions all the changes, actions, or the decisions of other characters occurred just to support the needs of the main protagonist. Sometimes they felt like forced and done with no real motivation of their own.

Did you feel this lack of character build up and the story being 'too-centralized' around Rion? Or was it simply because of the first person narrative?
Yeah it was quite a quick pace. But, I believe the author wanted to cater many plots. This did not affect my read though.
Dzejn_Crvena
Favorite Book: The Greater Understanding
Currently Reading: The Wish List
Bookshelf Size: 2316
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dzejn-crvena.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Dzejn_Crvena »

I don't think it was too fast, but I agree that it's fixated more on Rion's situation other than giving the spotlight to supporting characters. Since it's a first person perspective, it can't be avoided at times.
just call me "jane" :tiphat:
SweetSourSalty AndSpicy
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sweetsoursalty-andspicy.html
Latest Review: The Past Speaks by Geoff McCue

Post by SweetSourSalty AndSpicy »

I think it is the point of view. The first person narrative is an approach to sustain the secrecy. Rion then takes the audience in his circle of trust. It allows him to explore his abilities and keep them hidden. In effect, the readers see the other characters from the lens of Rion. The information about them is limited based on Rion's perception.
Satwik Mohanty
Favorite Author: H.P. Lovecraft
Favorite Book: My Living Will
Currently Reading: Totem
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-satwik-mohanty.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman
fav_author_id: 6063

Post by Satwik Mohanty »

I was satisfied with the pace of the book. But my problem was with the side characters. I like a book where all the characters are well defined and well written. I would have liked to see other characters play significant roles.
Melissa VanCleave Plant
Currently Reading: Looking Glass Friends
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melissa-vancleave-plant.html
Latest Review: Heroes of Atlantis by Ryan Carriere
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Melissa VanCleave Plant »

Medhansh Bhardwaj wrote: 02 Sep 2021, 08:55 This is not the only book as there is a series coming after. So the author could have simply stopped in an appropriate place and go to the next book if the book was getting too lengthy with the character development. It is good to introduce many characters at the beginning of the series. But the development of the characters is important too as there won't be appropriate moments to do that in later sequels of the series.
I think you may be onto something. I think after Rion gets captured by Psyiirin would be a good point to stop and restart a new book. That would allow for more character development, more backstory.
Ekezie1998
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 91
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ekezie1998.html
Latest Review: life lessons of wayne by shawn wayne swearingen

Post by Ekezie1998 »

Indeed I did not feel that the author took time to build and develop the character of the other characters apart from Rion. I am certain of this because I can barely describe such characters even if I were asked to. This definitely did not add to the quality of the plot.
Eutoc
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eutoc.html
Latest Review: My Ups And Downs by Sam Barder

Post by Eutoc »

Most authors prefer developing the main characters(antagonists and protagonists) at the expense of supporting characters, which the author did in this book. Imagine if a chunk of the book was dedicated to other supporting characters, it might cloud the much needed emphasis in the full discovery of Rion.
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson
Nonso Ok
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nonso-ok.html
Latest Review: A Murder in Brownsville by Donald Steven Collins

Post by Nonso Ok »

I agree with you. This book was fast paced, it seemed like the author was in a hurry to touch everything and anything. He did not give the characters time to fully develop. I think Rion too was not even fully developed, or is it just me?
Prarthna
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 100
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prarthna.html
Latest Review: The Farmer by Sam Braidwood

Post by Prarthna »

I agree with you, other characters did not get enough time for their development. I feel that some of the side characters had a lot of potential. I would have preferred if the story wasn’t too centralized around Rion.
Ivvie Ivanova
Favorite Author: Matthew Tysz
Currently Reading: Beyond Dreams
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ivvie-ivanova.html
Latest Review: Idiom Attack Vol. 1 Everyday Living (Spanish Edition) by Peter Liptak
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 50532

Post by Ivvie Ivanova »

I agree. Pacing and attention to detail when it comes to decision-making, emotions, and actions. These are aspects I pay attention to the most. To me, that can make or break a story. I wish there was more rhyme and reason to Rion's decisions and actions I think that would have made the character more memorable, more palpable to me.
Nkgchidimma080
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nkgchidimma080.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Nkgchidimma080 »

The place of the Book was perfect however I can’t say that I liked that the book really gave all the attention to a single character. But despite that the story line was still good
Elon Gathungu
Favorite Book: The Legacy of Job's Wife
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elon-gathungu.html
Latest Review: Red Wave Imperative by Alan Schein

Post by Elon Gathungu »

I think the story is centralized around Rion. Some of the other characters would have added to the plot development of the book if they were more developed and rooted in the story. However, I do not think Rion's character should be toned down, instead, some of the supporting characters should be improved to catch up with Rion's character. I hope the next book will be better in this aspect.
SnowStorm244
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: Courageous
Currently Reading: Looking Glass Friends
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-snowstorm244.html
Latest Review: End of the Last Great Kingdom by Victor Rose

Post by SnowStorm244 »

I felt like the story line was fast pace, however I believe that it was well written. Some of the side characters seemed too one-dimensional and didn't really have flaws besides the one for the story line to continue. I don't think it was too centralized on Rion, and there was some character growth just not a whole lot.
Kazak
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kazak.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by Kazak »

I wanted to see all the characters described more and given more things to do in the plot. Even if at the end of the day Rion would be the one leading most of the plot.
amakaokoye
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amakaokoye.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by amakaokoye »

Yes, the book was fast paced. The other characters in the book weren't fully developed and as such it made the story too centralised on Room.

Return to “Discuss "The Fourth Kinetic" by Brady Moore”