Rion's problem in social mingling, was it because of him or his mother?

Use this forum to discuss the September 2021 Book of the month, "The Fourth Kinetic: Clairvoyants Book 1" by Brady Moore
Amanda I
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amanda-i.html
Latest Review: Brand Real by Vasken Kalayjian

Re: Rion's problem in social mingling, was it because of him or his mother?

Post by Amanda I »

Constant moving around must have affected Rion's social skills. It's difficult to settle into a new environment and make friends and it becomes more difficult when you constantly move around before having time to make friends. I do believe that Rion's relationship with his mother also contributed in a way.
Prarthna
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 100
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prarthna.html
Latest Review: The Farmer by Sam Braidwood

Post by Prarthna »

I feel that Rion was inherently, by nature, an introvert. Along with that his relationship with his mother and constant moving around, both the factors further affected his social skills.
Ochieng Omuodo
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: The Intrepid Brotherhood
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ochieng-omuodo.html
Latest Review: Endgame by William Reed

Post by Ochieng Omuodo »

I think it’s all three reasons played a part. Making friends is hard when moving around, but it isn’t impossible. You learn to be very choosy so as to maximise the quality of any friendship you might have. Some of it is just down to personal chemistry, like with Dee in this case. I say that from experience. Children mimic their parents, so, if his mother is not an expressive person, this this may influence his interaction with other people. But I don’t think any of these things makes him lonely. You can see this by the way he despises the frivolity of what he feels is typical of other teenagers. He would just rather be alone than make friends like these
Ruchi Raina
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruchi-raina.html
Latest Review: House of Ashes by Margaret Blythe

Post by Ruchi Raina »

I think all those factors, including him not knowing what he was but knowing he was different at the start, sum up to his introverted nature. His mother frequently changing locations played a huge role in him detaching himself from people as then he would have to leave them behind when his mother decides to move again.
Nonso Ok
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nonso-ok.html
Latest Review: A Murder in Brownsville by Donald Steven Collins

Post by Nonso Ok »

As a child I found it unnecessary making friends in a new environment if I would end up leaving that environment soon. I think this was Rions main problem. Why should he make friends when he would soon move and leave them behind, then start the process all again?
Ra Ka
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ra-ka.html
Latest Review: The Frights of Fiji by Sunayna Prasad

Post by Ra Ka »

I think it was because of Rion's mother's job and his lack of stability in one place that made having a friend very difficult, so Rion's personality was introverted and shy and did not like dealing with strangers and I think he was afraid of the feeling of losing friends .
Elon Gathungu
Favorite Book: The Legacy of Job's Wife
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elon-gathungu.html
Latest Review: Red Wave Imperative by Alan Schein

Post by Elon Gathungu »

I think Rion wanted to make friends. However, his introverted nature made creating long-lasting connections difficult. Additionally, the constant relocations may have contributed to his introverted nature because they make forming long-lasting friendships difficult. It's kind of difficult for a teenager to form solid friendships when he has to move before the friendships can solidify.
SnowStorm244
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: Courageous
Currently Reading: Looking Glass Friends
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-snowstorm244.html
Latest Review: End of the Last Great Kingdom by Victor Rose

Post by SnowStorm244 »

greghefley wrote: 02 Sep 2021, 06:31 His mother would be a main reason for his introverted nature. There were many other kind of people like him, who seems not to be as closed up as Rion. It's mainly because of his mother trying to protect him.
I disagree with this statement, because I remember moving around a lot, so I understand wanting to close every one out. Saying goodbye went you move is one of the hardest things to do. I wouldn't blame his mom entirely and I understand trying to protect your son. I sympathize with Rion's mom in the sense that I wouldn't really know what to do in her situation.
Eriny Youssef
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 97
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eriny-youssef.html
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann

Post by Eriny Youssef »

Sushan wrote: 01 Sep 2021, 00:32 Rion did not have any long-term friends. And it seems like he is not even trying to have any. Seemingly he is an introvert who is shy to talk with strangers, and also content with his loneliness. His unusual ability led him to think of him as an alien, and it too supported his nature to remain further.
I ignore them before heading to my favorite classroom position. Nothing says don’t talk to me like the back corner window seat.
(Location 91 - Kindle version)
I give an apathetic nod, coupled with my best faulty smile, before turning back toward the window. I avoid making eye contact with any other student. The chirping birds have my attention for the next few minutes,[/quote] (Location 113 - Kindle version)

But we see how he could not remain in one place (or one school) because of his mother's job. It is common for a student to feel awkward when going to a new school, and it is fair for a usual student to require some time to make new friends.
New schools. New surroundings. I’ve done them so many times they’ve become as much of a routine as tying my shoes.
(Location 66 - Kindle version)
This is my sixth school in four years
(Location 84 - Kindle version)

Ultimately these reasons made Rion a lonely fellow. Even the connection between him and his mother was not too strong. Which component contributed his loneliness the most? Was it his nature? Was it his mother's frequent change of locations? Or was it because his mother was never really open with him?
[/quote]

I think him not being close to his mother says a lot about his raw personality, or his nature. As you said, i think it may be a mixture of the three factors. The constant moving around, his nature, and his mother's relationship with him. While I think having friends and communicating and sharing emotions and experiences is vital to live a healthy life, I also believe introversion can still be healthy (if not taken to extreme levels). What I mean is, if he's ever able to open up to even one person, and consciously decided to do it, then being an introvert is his choice and it's bad.
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann
Lomyders
Currently Reading: Multiple streams of internet income
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lomyders.html
Latest Review: Money Faucet by Joe Calderwood

Post by Lomyders »

Well, inasmuch as his mother's job played a huge role due to incessant relocations, Roin is not entirely exempted from blame. Yes, having to make new friends every few months could be a daunting task; he did not even so much effort to adapt to his lifestyle. He simply stayed on his own as a coping mechanism, which is not good enough.
Mercy119
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fireside119.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Mercy119 »

I believe Rion's mother has nothing to do with his introverted behavior since Rion withdraws from her as well. It seems like Rion has chosen a reclusive lifestyle that shuts everyone out and he's content with that.
Ivvie Ivanova
Favorite Author: Matthew Tysz
Currently Reading: Beyond Dreams
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ivvie-ivanova.html
Latest Review: Idiom Attack Vol. 1 Everyday Living (Spanish Edition) by Peter Liptak
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 50532

Post by Ivvie Ivanova »

I cannot fault Rion for not making any long-term friends. I used to be the same way in school, so I relate to the back seat next to the window trick. Moving as much as he has makes it seem pointless to start any kind of relationship. People will just fade away from his life, so he might as well save himself the heartache. I'd do the same thing if I were him.
Oluoma C
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oluoma-c.html
Latest Review: Dread Tribunal of Last Resort by Brian Kaufman

Post by Oluoma C »

Yes,I would say his mother influenced that behavior,with her over protective attitude and Rion coming to the realization that he has super powers, could have had an effect on him too .
Kazak
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kazak.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by Kazak »

I think it has to do with his nature. Yes, they moved around a lot, but ultimately it comes down to what you, as a person choose to do in such a situation.
Katherine Powell-Polkey
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katherine-powell-polkey.html
Latest Review: A Spiritual Dog: "Bear" by J. Wesley Porter
Reading Device: 1400501466

Post by Katherine Powell-Polkey »

This is an excellent question. Like most nature vs. nurture questions, I think the answer lies in the middle. Both his shyness and not being settled contributed to his being a loner.

Return to “Discuss "The Fourth Kinetic" by Brady Moore”