Rion’s inability to keep a secret

Use this forum to discuss the September 2021 Book of the month, "The Fourth Kinetic: Clairvoyants Book 1" by Brady Moore
19blueofficial
Favorite Book: Kalayla
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-19blueofficial.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Re: Rion’s inability to keep a secret

Post by 19blueofficial »

cluetop wrote: 01 Sep 2021, 00:49 Throughout this book, I was dumbfounded at how easily Rion trusted the people around him and divulged secrets. He was quick to explain anything and everything (flash drive, powers, info about mom etc.) to each person he met whether it was Pavo, the Predators, or Psyriin. What do you guys think? Was his almost constant cooperation surprising to you?
It was kinda strange, because this Rion guy barely had any social connection with anyone. It didn't seem natural at all. And it was really surprising. In fact I was shocked when Rion just gave away secrets. I don't know why he does that, but it just feels strange to me.
Lee-2u
Currently Reading: Mirror, Mirror...? A Modern Day Fairy Tale
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lee-2u.html
Latest Review: Rise of the Savior by Antoine Bonner

Post by Lee-2u »

They aren't a lot of people who give people secret like Rion. The author painted him as a clueless person. Sometimes it was a little bit too much for me that he can be so trustworthy.
Humera955
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Fourth Kinetic
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-humera955.html
Latest Review: Smart Love by Vincent Fudge II
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Humera955 »

constant cooperation is not at all surprising, I think through out the story I expected it . Rion being such a nice character and not knowing that world around him could be cruel too.
:tiphat:
Daniel Jembi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-daniel-jembi.html
Latest Review: Sandra Eden's War by Michael Low

Post by Daniel Jembi »

It was surprising to me. If Dee has been a boy, I would have been less surprised. He impulsively divulged information about his moving from school to school to her surprised me.
Cynthia Olyy
Currently Reading: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cynthia-olyy.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Cynthia Olyy »

Although I do not support his giving away information so easily, I understand it is because of two reasons. One is that he was raised innocently and secondly, he easily trusted people. For both reasons, I don't especially blame him.
Alexandur Gicov
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alexandur-gicov.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller

Post by Alexandur Gicov »

To trust only by heart is a risky act. But the environment and people around us give most of the inner interception about that. Probably trustworthiness makes us somehow good and kind, but like any other person, we have to go through it all to learn in the future. Maybe that was trying to say Brady Moore by the character of Rion.
Hogwarts03
Currently Reading: Shatter Me
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hogwarts03.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Hogwarts03 »

I think it was a factor contributed by his character and scenario.
Rion is a character who came across as very trusting and overall just good. He wouldn't want to believe bad about anyone and would naturally want to trust anyone. I think it also derived from the fact that he doesn't have a specific person to divulge his secrets to due to constantly moving, so he would tell anyone anything just for a sense of companionship and maybe acknowledgement.
The scenarios he was in would also play a role. I believe there were a few instances where it would have been necessary to divulge this information to probably keep him or others safe.
But it's also true that he was brought up as very gullible and trusting so in his own eyes he was acting perfectly rationally.
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

I was surprised by this characteristic due to the emphasis on the constant moves and change of schools. Children that move around that frequently find it difficult to build relationships. Maybe his willingness to share with others was an overcompensation to be accepted as part of a group. He did not want to be left alone, but his leaving without talking to Dee was disappointing. I thought the author was allowing Rion to mature as seen with his behavior and actions towards Auriga (contrasted with Dee.)
Virginia Mati
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 106
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-virginia-mati.html
Latest Review: Shitolian by O Persaud

Post by Virginia Mati »

I could describe Rion as a naturally good person. The way the author developed this character is amazingly fascinating. I am surprised that it was so difficult for him to keep a secret, in spite of knowing the sensitive nature of the information that he kept sharing. This was quite strange.
Latest Review: Shitolian by O Persaud
Chetna_Kharbanda
Currently Reading: Unsound
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chetna-123.html
Latest Review: "Are You a N****r or a Doctor?" by Otto E. Stallworth Jr. MD MBA

Post by Chetna_Kharbanda »

Rion was quick to share secrets with anybody and his divulgence was perilous. Yet this could be justified as age-appropriate behavior. A child is ought to show some childish mannerism and trusting blindly is one of those. So It wasn't any surprise for me but yes, anybody can harm him after getting the needed information.
Anthonio042
Currently Reading: Sex, Genes and Rock 'n' Roll
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anthonio042.html
Latest Review: "INVASIONS: 'Killing og the Indian'" by Don Diehl

Post by Anthonio042 »

Trusting someone is innate, and I can't criticize Rion for it; he's been used to linking with a few people throughout his life, and we should expect him to act in that manner. It's hilarious how the author captivated and invited us all with his portrayal, but I think he shouldn't trust so easily realizing how extraordinary he is. Given the circumstances, I was not surprised to see such a chain of events.
Damis Seres Rodriguez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-damis.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Damis Seres Rodriguez »

It was not surprising, but it was disappointing to some degree. Even if I understand that there were several factors leading him to spill the beans, it made me feel like he was not exactly reliable. And that, somehow, seems contradictory with his character's personality overall.
Ruth Naomi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruth-naomi.html
Latest Review: Peace in the Abyss by Tayo Emmanuel

Post by Ruth Naomi »

Honestly speaking, I was not surprised at all. I know a friend who trusts people and tells secrets easily. Though, it may not seem good, I feel like it helps at times, especially when trouble comes to you. Rion was simply being himself. I loved his character.
Ruth Naomi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruth-naomi.html
Latest Review: Peace in the Abyss by Tayo Emmanuel

Post by Ruth Naomi »

virgi1905 wrote: 05 Sep 2021, 15:17 That was a very risky thing that Rion was doing. Despite himself being a good person, he needed to understand that not everyone carries such goodness. The repercussions of the unrealistic trust towards everyone would be great if anyone decided to mess things up.
In contrast, I think Rion was trying to see the good in people. And though there are repercussions, sometimes it pays off.
SunVixen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sunvixen.html
Latest Review: Tau Ceti: A Ship from Earth by George T. Hahn

Post by SunVixen »

Amy Luman wrote: 05 Sep 2021, 18:25 I agree that he overshares. In his defense, though, he has never had much practice keeping secrets. He never really had the chance. His only real friend was his mother.

This is the most likely version. As a social introvert, Rion really couldn't learn to keep secrets. In addition, he is still young and naive. Therefore, his behavior can be easily explained.

Return to “Discuss "The Fourth Kinetic" by Brady Moore”