Is Rion's character inconsistent?

Use this forum to discuss the September 2021 Book of the month, "The Fourth Kinetic: Clairvoyants Book 1" by Brady Moore
Susan Kihleng
Currently Reading: Just Give Me a Soft Place to Land
Bookshelf Size: 273
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-susan-kihleng.html
Latest Review: Elizabeth's Garden by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Re: Is Rion's character inconsistent?

Post by Susan Kihleng »

I would say not necessarily inconsistent as the author moved on to focus on the newer, more urgent aspects of his life as the dramatic changes took place. Rion's life changes required a shift in priorities, I guess would be how to look at it.
Ekezie1998
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 91
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ekezie1998.html
Latest Review: life lessons of wayne by shawn wayne swearingen

Post by Ekezie1998 »

I certainly think that the author could have made a more conscious attempt to develop Rion’s unique attributes which he exhibited at the beginning of the story, and the submerging of his unique traits within the plot surely did not add to the well-roundedness of the plot or my enjoyment of it.
Amanda I
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amanda-i.html
Latest Review: Brand Real by Vasken Kalayjian

Post by Amanda I »

I believe Rion was consistent. He was a round character and it is normal to experience changes and development in round characters. Rion just tried to adapt to the several environments.
Prarthna
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 100
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prarthna.html
Latest Review: The Farmer by Sam Braidwood

Post by Prarthna »

I think his actions are affected by the situation he is in. Also, considering that he is just a 17-year old boy, I won't say that his character was inconsistent.
Nonso Ok
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nonso-ok.html
Latest Review: A Murder in Brownsville by Donald Steven Collins

Post by Nonso Ok »

I would say he grew up and had real life issues. I did not see this as problem, the author made an attempt to develop his character from being just a boy.
Ra Ka
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ra-ka.html
Latest Review: The Frights of Fiji by Sunayna Prasad

Post by Ra Ka »

Since he is the protagonist, it is normal for his character to evolve as the events of the novel progress, especially after his ability and being a superhero begins, he may have to change, but in my opinion Rion's character is not contradictory.
ej_author
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ej-author.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by ej_author »

Ayomid wrote: 24 Sep 2021, 05:17 I think on this note, there was a little bit of inconsistency. Rion surprised his teacher with the music quote & I really enjoyed that scene. I was surprised that this trait seemed to vanish later. It should have been developed better.
I agree, I really liked that scene, too! I definitely respect everyone who is saying they believe his character was consistent, but to me, having these sorts of details about a character really make the book come alive. That's why the beginning of the book impressed me, but I was a little disappointed when these great character details didn't continue.
"No tears in the writer, no tears in the reader." --Robert Frost
Alexandur Gicov
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alexandur-gicov.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller

Post by Alexandur Gicov »

Everything around him suddenly changes. This requires changes in his own behavior to deal with the current situations. He must change and act to save himself, or otherwise, he would be doomed. Maybe there is a little inconsistency, but again he moved forward on his personal development.
Flowers123
Favorite Book: McDowell
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-flowers123.html
Latest Review: Fragments by Bruce K. Berger

Post by Flowers123 »

I wouldn't say inconsistent because he went from being ordinary to something much more. There's no way he could have remained the same. Besides, his personality change is a result of his newfound powers which also come with new challenges. I think he just simply grew up.
SnowStorm244
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: Courageous
Currently Reading: Looking Glass Friends
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-snowstorm244.html
Latest Review: End of the Last Great Kingdom by Victor Rose

Post by SnowStorm244 »

ej_author wrote: 01 Sep 2021, 16:47 I feel like the beginning of the story set Rion up for success, as he had a lot of interesting traits. He was smart, shy, inexperienced with his powers, loved music, quoted rap lyrics to answer a teacher's question, etc. But it seemed like as soon as the plot kicked in, all of that went away. His love of music was never mentioned again, he never made another quote, and he lost the shyness he had at the beginning.

Do you think that the author dropped Rion's unique character traits to focus on the plot, and did it affect your opinion of the book? Is Rion a consistent character from the beginning to the end of the story?
I don't think that his character is inconsistence, Rion has to change and develop to deal with his situation. He doesn't have the luxury to rely on music, and to be shy, because his mom's life depends on it. I believe he stepped up to the plate to try to help his mom.
Praise George-kayode
Currently Reading: The Magician's Secret
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-praise-george-kayode.html
Latest Review: Rescuing General Patton by Curtis Stephen Burdick

Post by Praise George-kayode »

F N Chamomile wrote: 02 Sep 2021, 07:26 I wouldn't say completely inconsistent. For what I see, the changes in Rion's personality are more like the author's attempt to develop his character throughout the book. Unfortunately, perhaps due to the pace of the story, the changes feel too abrupt, thus seem inconsistent.
Yes, I completely agree. At the beginning, the pace at which the character development of Rion was played out was fast paced, but the author knowing fully well that the story does not only revolve around Rion had a shift to develop the plot too. It was just that shift was abrupt.
peace_m
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peace-m.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by peace_m »

I think that is a strategic way progressing from description of characters into the main plot. For instance, the author familarized the reader with Rion's attributes such as been smart, inexperienced with his powers, loved music and many others. Then, The next was to get the reader in the main plots as readers are already award of the main character's attributes.
amakaokoye
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amakaokoye.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by amakaokoye »

No, I don't think Rion's character was inconsistent. I feel character development in every story is normal so Rion wasn't inconsistent per say, he just developed as the story went on.
Joyjim
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joyjim.html
Latest Review: Leora's Letters by Joy Neal Kidney

Post by Joyjim »

His character did not strike me as inconsistent. Teenagers often change with a shifting focus of interests. Overall, Rion's character was properly developed and consistent.
Simbarashe C
Favorite Book: Final Notice
Currently Reading: Twisted But True
Bookshelf Size: 14

Post by Simbarashe C »

I think fiction, unlike reality has to make sense, because it is created for entertainment. In this case I did not quite follow why or weather such an unexpected character change was necessary. Too much detail that essentially form the premise of the story was lost ,and that without clear reason - there lies the unfortunate inconsistency.

Return to “Discuss "The Fourth Kinetic" by Brady Moore”