Is Rion's character inconsistent?

Use this forum to discuss the September 2021 Book of the month, "The Fourth Kinetic: Clairvoyants Book 1" by Brady Moore
Sanju Lali
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Goodbye, Rudy Kazoody
Bookshelf Size: 445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sanju-lali.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Re: Is Rion's character inconsistent?

Post by Sanju Lali »

In the fast paced development in the story Rion's character appeared like abruptly changed because due to the circumstances that Rion faced he had to change his behavior to adapt. However, some of his personality trait remained same like his intelligence.
life is only knowing the unknown, we can do this by reading books easily- Online book club is a great place for this. This is what I believe.
Joseph Mutuku 1
Currently Reading: TBD August 2022 Book of the Month
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joseph-mutuku-1.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White

Post by Joseph Mutuku 1 »

ej_author wrote: 01 Sep 2021, 16:47 I feel like the beginning of the story set Rion up for success, as he had a lot of interesting traits. He was smart, shy, inexperienced with his powers, loved music, quoted rap lyrics to answer a teacher's question, etc. But it seemed like as soon as the plot kicked in, all of that went away. His love of music was never mentioned again, he never made another quote, and he lost the shyness he had at the beginning.

Do you think that the author dropped Rion's unique character traits to focus on the plot, and did it affect your opinion of the book? Is Rion a consistent character from the beginning to the end of the story?
Although it was evident that some of Rion's character traits were never mention in the larger section of the book, I think it could not be viewed as an inconsistency more so in a fast-paced novel like this. I think the author was concentrating on his new developments, new priorities, and responsibilities.
Mbenma Esther 080
Currently Reading: My Enemy in Vietnam
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mbenma-esther-080.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Mbenma Esther 080 »

I believe that Rion is consistent. Come to think of it, as we grow and experience life, there is always a need to adapt to changes. Such was the case of Rion and I can't see it as being inconsistent.
Sarah C McHum
Favorite Book: Do I Need a Will or a Trust
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-c-mchum.html
Latest Review: The Altitude Journals by David J Mauro

Post by Sarah C McHum »

I won't say inconsistent. He just changed to adapt the new environment around him. And that's pretty normal for characters to change. Maybe the only mistake is the changes are too abrupt, and the readers aren't ready to accept it
Hogwarts03
Currently Reading: Shatter Me
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hogwarts03.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Hogwarts03 »

I wouldn't say that he is completely inconsistent. The author may have done away with all his previous qualities from high school in order to follow a character arcs and develop his character from a shy boy to a hero. However, I do understand where the inconsistent aspect comes from. In the name of character development, the author completely replaced high school Rion with another version to better suit the plot. I think that is quite unrealistic as even through character development, a character's best features remain while they improve in other less refined areas. A character cannot become someone else completely, unless they are faking.
So, I don't believe Rion's character was completely inconsistent but did have some gray area.
Ayomid
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ayomid.html
Latest Review: A Spiritual Dog: "Bear" by J. Wesley Porter

Post by Ayomid »

I think on this note, there was a little bit of inconsistency. Rion surprised his teacher with the music quote & I really enjoyed that scene. I was surprised that this trait seemed to vanish later. It should have been developed better.
Christine Joy G 1
Favorite Book: How To Be Successful
Currently Reading: The Date Farm
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christine-joy-g-1.html
Latest Review: Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer's Guide by William H. Coles

Post by Christine Joy G 1 »

Rion's inconsistency in his character was part of his development but, occurred to be forgotten as the story goes on. His desirable traits at the beginning of the story were shifted to what he needs to have to overcome the struggles. It's not that bad at all.
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Uplifting The Pain of Behavioral and Learning Styles Through Poetry Now
Bookshelf Size: 408
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: Unsettled Disruption by Juana Catalina Rodriguez
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

I agree with you. Seemingly the author has simply focused on his plot but not on the characters. It has affected even his main protagonist. So Rion's character qualities has changed throughout the story. I think it is a flaw of the story that the author has made by giving too much attention to the plot.
Humera955
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Fourth Kinetic
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-humera955.html
Latest Review: Smart Love by Vincent Fudge II
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Humera955 »

Yaa it was little inconsistent, but i think that was necessary for the climax of the story. I would say it was more of character development of rion and in a good way.
:tiphat:
Daniel Jembi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-daniel-jembi.html
Latest Review: Sandra Eden's War by Michael Low

Post by Daniel Jembi »

I don't think Rion's character is inconsistent because life often comes with sudden changes. His personality as a high school student would naturally undergo a change when he had new responsibilities.
Ailakhu Yusau Aizhebiomon
Currently Reading: Purges of the Soul
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ailakhu-yusau-aizhebiomon.html
Latest Review: Advanced Lotto Rotation System by Joseph Z Vlasic

Post by Ailakhu Yusau Aizhebiomon »

I think the author highlighted those characteristics of Rion at the beginning of book just to give a details description of Rion's personality and that does not insinuates that Rion's character is inconsistent. However, I think those details and plots were not necessary since they do not define Rion in the later part of the book.
Melissa VanCleave Plant
Currently Reading: Looking Glass Friends
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melissa-vancleave-plant.html
Latest Review: Heroes of Atlantis by Ryan Carriere
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Melissa VanCleave Plant »

Overall, 17-year-olds are pretty inconsistent. Now throw in trying to fight for your life with abilities you barely understand and people you just met, and I think the author did a good job portraying this character. Rion is a typical, hormonal, indecisive, clueless teenager. He's never had family, relationships, or any sort of stability. His entire life is inconsistent.
Satwik Mohanty
Favorite Author: H.P. Lovecraft
Favorite Book: My Living Will
Currently Reading: Totem
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-satwik-mohanty.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman
fav_author_id: 6063

Post by Satwik Mohanty »

I would not say that his character was inconsistent but he had some development. But this was too fast, and that's why it seems inconsistent. I think the author should have given Rion more time for steady development.
EternalD
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eternald.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by EternalD »

There's nothing inconsistent about it. It's perfectly natural to imagine that someone who discovers that he has extraordinary powers above the average person will have much more confidence and self-esteem. The same can be seen in Spider-Man movies. Once he realizes he is powerful, his confidence levels rise significantly.
Gabriella1997
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gabriella1997.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Gabriella1997 »

ej_author wrote: 01 Sep 2021, 16:47 I feel like the beginning of the story set Rion up for success, as he had a lot of interesting traits. He was smart, shy, inexperienced with his powers, loved music, quoted rap lyrics to answer a teacher's question, etc. But it seemed like as soon as the plot kicked in, all of that went away. His love of music was never mentioned again, he never made another quote, and he lost the shyness he had at the beginning.

Do you think that the author dropped Rion's unique character traits to focus on the plot, and did it affect your opinion of the book? Is Rion a consistent character from the beginning to the end of the story?
I noticed Rion changed as I made progress in the plot. However I did not think much of this and it didn't change my opinion about it because despite the inconsistency of Rion, he was still a well made character and was still essential to the plot. I dont even see how rapping or loving music would have improved the book anyway.

Return to “Discuss "The Fourth Kinetic" by Brady Moore”