Is Rion's character inconsistent?

Use this forum to discuss the September 2021 Book of the month, "The Fourth Kinetic: Clairvoyants Book 1" by Brady Moore
Courtney Hughes
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-courtney-hughes.html
Latest Review: Summer in the City by Kevin Phelps

Re: Is Rion's character inconsistent?

Post by Courtney Hughes »

I almost completely forgot about his awesome taste in music and quick wit answering in lyrics. I loved those qualities about Rion and, now that I am thinking about it, I think the author may have focused on the plot more which forced certain characteristics about Rion to fade to the back. I wish that wasn’t the case since those qualities could have carried through the story easily.
Suzer6440 xyz
Favorite Book: Pearl River Mansion
Currently Reading: Five Total Strangers
Bookshelf Size: 201
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-suzer6440-xyz.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White

Post by Suzer6440 xyz »

Rions character did not seem inconsistent to me at all. Rather, he changed throughout the book as priorities arose and took place in his life. I think it is important for a character to show different aspects of their life in a book. , That’s what makes it interesting and unforgettable.
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Time Before Time
Bookshelf Size: 1015
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: All the Targets by Noah Bond
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

I never really thought about it, but now that you mention it, he seems to have left any references to previous interests once he meets the other clairvoyants. I am not sure if this makes him inconsistent or just willing to go along with whatever others want.
Joyful17
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 126
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-k17.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Talking (war) Dog by Daniel Tierney

Post by Joyful17 »

Personally, I would overlook this observation because teens are in a constant state of change. Also, the author probably decided to focus on the more vital parts of the story.
Dimi1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dimi1.html
Latest Review: One Woman's Long and Lonely Walk by Gail Hart

Post by Dimi1 »

It's the plot that, in my opinion, changed the character. It's an adaptation procedure that made him more energetic and interesting in contrast to the initial shyness.
Emily_Jen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emily-jen.html
Latest Review: Social Media Marketing Strategy by S. M. H. Gibson

Post by Emily_Jen »

I don't think Rion's character is inconsistent. I mean, the change is completely understandable because his life was on the line, and he must have been thinking about survival. Who quotes rap songs when they're running for thier life? He simply had to grow up.
Atieno Magero
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-atieno-magero.html
Latest Review: Stevie Tenderheart Books WAIT A MINUTE! (An Illustrated Novella) by Steve William Laible

Post by Atieno Magero »

I think this happened because Rion's priorities changed as the story developed. However, I wish the author would have slowed it down a little so that it wouldn't seem so sudden to readers.
Kim Jek
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kim-jek.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by Kim Jek »

I would say Rion's character is consistent to a reasonable extent. He is consistently open and trusting with Dee, Pavo, and others. His love of music & other traits which went mute might be unecessary to the development of the story.
Novela book
Favorite Book: Chameleons
Currently Reading: The Midnight Library
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-novela-book.html
Latest Review: Hattie Vavaseur by M. Rebecca Wildsmith

Post by Novela book »

I think that Rion's character was well managed and developed according to the plot's requirements. Though, I agree that his traits like the love for music and others could have been kept to make the readers feel attached to Rion.
Astral Magi
Favorite Book: Name of the Wind
Currently Reading: Crossroads
Bookshelf Size: 523
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-astral-magi.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by Astral Magi »

I don't think that inconsistency in a teenager can be construed as inconsistency where character development is concerned. To me, Rion is acting like a true teenager. I am sure the shifts were intended by the author.
🕉Be Here Now⌛
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Time Before Time
Bookshelf Size: 1015
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: All the Targets by Noah Bond

Post by Amy Luman »

I think that Rion is the same person all of the way through the book. There are just some things (social problems) that are important at the beginning of the story and others (bonding with others like him) that are important at the end.
Amynwankwo_
Currently Reading: My Enemy in Vietnam
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amynwankwo.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White

Post by Amynwankwo_ »

I wouldn’t say inconsistent. It was the authors attempt to develop his character as the story progressed. His priorities had to change and it affected him equally.
Courtney Hughes
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-courtney-hughes.html
Latest Review: Summer in the City by Kevin Phelps

Post by Courtney Hughes »

asteel18 wrote: 02 Sep 2021, 08:04 I wouldn't say inconsistent. He went from high school student with no worries, other than wondering when he would have to pack up and move, to fighting for his life. I'd say he had a new set of priorities.

I would agree! I‘d like to add that Rion also had learning his cool new talents to “worry about”, which was fun to read through! He did very abruptly have to start fighting for his life and learning about his abilities and how to get stronger. His life became something very different so it did call for change of thought.
Killian Nichilo
Currently Reading: The Selection
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-killian-nichilo.html
Latest Review: The Fourth Kinetic by Brady Moore

Post by Killian Nichilo »

ej_author wrote: 01 Sep 2021, 16:47 I feel like the beginning of the story set Rion up for success, as he had a lot of interesting traits. He was smart, shy, inexperienced with his powers, loved music, quoted rap lyrics to answer a teacher's question, etc. But it seemed like as soon as the plot kicked in, all of that went away. His love of music was never mentioned again, he never made another quote, and he lost the shyness he had at the beginning.

Do you think that the author dropped Rion's unique character traits to focus on the plot, and did it affect your opinion of the book? Is Rion a consistent character from the beginning to the end of the story?

I didn't actually even notice this until I read the post. I think his character actually stays fairly consistent. I completely agree with the idea that a lot of the unique traits; such as the love for rap fell away as the plot kicked in. However many still remained; he still is mentioned as blushing and becoming flustered around Ara. Specially when he is carrying her toward Tyler high School. One of the first things we learn about him is that he has a strong sense of right and wrong; he helps the kid with the boot avoid missing the bus. That to me is a key detail that remains heavily consistent through the story. Even when he joins the predators he still cannot bring himself to harm another person. So I suppose to me he stays consistent where it matters which are his ideals and morals.
Hhannahh
Currently Reading: The Smartest Person in the Room
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hhannahh.html
Latest Review: The Whaler's Daughter by Jerry Mikorenda

Post by Hhannahh »

I believe that the author simply forgot about those small details after building Rion's character. The less intense things gave way for the more intense action. The author could have found a way to incorporate these little details into the main plot, though.
I don't think these changes affected my enjoyment of this book.

Return to “Discuss "The Fourth Kinetic" by Brady Moore”