Is Rion's character inconsistent?

Use this forum to discuss the September 2021 Book of the month, "The Fourth Kinetic: Clairvoyants Book 1" by Brady Moore
ej_author
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ej-author.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Is Rion's character inconsistent?

Post by ej_author »

I feel like the beginning of the story set Rion up for success, as he had a lot of interesting traits. He was smart, shy, inexperienced with his powers, loved music, quoted rap lyrics to answer a teacher's question, etc. But it seemed like as soon as the plot kicked in, all of that went away. His love of music was never mentioned again, he never made another quote, and he lost the shyness he had at the beginning.

Do you think that the author dropped Rion's unique character traits to focus on the plot, and did it affect your opinion of the book? Is Rion a consistent character from the beginning to the end of the story?
"No tears in the writer, no tears in the reader." --Robert Frost
F N Chamomile
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 583
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-f-n-chamomile.html
Latest Review: Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise by John K Danenbarger

Post by F N Chamomile »

I wouldn't say completely inconsistent. For what I see, the changes in Rion's personality are more like the author's attempt to develop his character throughout the book. Unfortunately, perhaps due to the pace of the story, the changes feel too abrupt, thus seem inconsistent.
asteel18
Currently Reading: Bluewater Walkabout
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-asteel18.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by asteel18 »

I wouldn't say inconsistent. He went from high school student with no worries, other than wondering when he would have to pack up and move, to fighting for his life. I'd say he had a new set of priorities.
-Amy
Jessica045
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessica045.html
Latest Review: George by James H Russell

Post by Jessica045 »

I would not say he was inconsistent. Rather, he only adopted to the changes around him. He had new priorities and responsibilities that are far below his former way of life.
Hailey Morgan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hailey-morgan.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Hailey Morgan »

ej_author wrote: 01 Sep 2021, 16:47 I feel like the beginning of the story set Rion up for success, as he had a lot of interesting traits. He was smart, shy, inexperienced with his powers, loved music, quoted rap lyrics to answer a teacher's question, etc. But it seemed like as soon as the plot kicked in, all of that went away. His love of music was never mentioned again, he never made another quote, and he lost the shyness he had at the beginning.

Do you think that the author dropped Rion's unique character traits to focus on the plot, and did it affect your opinion of the book? Is Rion a consistent character from the beginning to the end of the story?
Rion, in my opinion, is a consistent character I think he was handling the changes and situations in his own way so the things that he used to do were put on a back seat to focus on the changes and to help him deal with what he was going through.
Hailey Morgan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hailey-morgan.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Hailey Morgan »

ej_author wrote: 01 Sep 2021, 16:47 I feel like the beginning of the story set Rion up for success, as he had a lot of interesting traits. He was smart, shy, inexperienced with his powers, loved music, quoted rap lyrics to answer a teacher's question, etc. But it seemed like as soon as the plot kicked in, all of that went away. His love of music was never mentioned again, he never made another quote, and he lost the shyness he had at the beginning.

Rion, in my opinion, is a consistent character I think he was handling the changes and situations in his own way so the things that he used to do were put on a back seat to focus on the changes and to help him deal with what he was going through.
Medhansh Bhardwaj
Currently Reading: Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-medhansh-bhardwaj.html
Latest Review: Mrs. White’s SUB SNIPS by Laura Moss White

Post by Medhansh Bhardwaj »

I will politely disagree with you on this one. The reason being, the entire story is about Rion's development, both as a person as well as a superhero. The changes that came after his ability kicked in were necessary, because without a major personality shift how could we distinguish the old Rion from the new one? I think because the story was a little fast, the Rion's developments were fast as well, and you are referring to that as inconsistency.
marta baglioni
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marta-baglioni.html
Latest Review: Shatter Girl by Shay Miranda

Post by marta baglioni »

I think it is normal for the characters to change as the story progresses. Given the fast pace of the novel, probably Rion had little time to think about music and needed at the same time to leave shyness behind. So, no, I can see why you have this impression, but in my opinion, Rion's character is not inconsistent.
Rosefarid
Currently Reading: Opaque
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by Rosefarid »

Sometimes we don't do with what we know.. When we know we will definitely feel the change.. When Rion's confidence in using abilities gets stronger he overcomes shyness and matured enough to take responsibilities... We won't be the same ever, depends on our surroundings and situations.. Rion may not be consistent but not inconsistent either.
mohamed benziane
Favorite Author: John Green
Favorite Book: Pride and Prejudice
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mohamed-benziane.html
Latest Review: Don't Mind Me, I'm Just Having a Bad Life by Lewis Kempfer
fav_author_id: 2072

Post by mohamed benziane »

I actually hate authors who forget or neglect empowering the characters traits as is and let it emerge to be better or like hash from a cocoon and be this amazing new person with the same character flaws and positive traits, he should stay the same person but better, they should boost self empowerment more
Ndive Mzamo
Currently Reading: The Price of Dreams
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ndive-mzamo.html
Latest Review: Amora by Grant Hallstrom

Post by Ndive Mzamo »

Rion was consistent and intelligent. Like when Mr Keenan Sociology teacher asked about thoughts of human behavior, he answered correctly. He overcame his fears and practised telekinetic.
Mutai Marshal
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 515
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mutai-marshal.html
Latest Review: A Reckoning of Wolves by Judy Higgins

Post by Mutai Marshal »

I believe it is more of character development than inconsistency. However, I admit that the shift in Rion's character traits contributed to the plot development. I liked the shift
Iva Stoyanova
Currently Reading: WatchDogs Abnormal Beginnings
Bookshelf Size: 272
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-iva-stoyanova.html
Latest Review: Tau Ceti: A Ship from Earth by George T. Hahn

Post by Iva Stoyanova »

Maybe he was just forced to change as his priorities and experiences were changing. He just adapted to the changes, although from a reader's point of view, it might seem quite fast and abrupt.
"You can be more aware and more present simply by resting in the present moment, open to all that is, without trying to control it or grasp it with the mind. Truly, a marvelous way of being!"

Richard L. Haight
Favour AN
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-favour-an.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Favour AN »

The author discarded a lot of important details in the book. So many facts from the beginning were never mentioned again. So many characters were discarded too. I think it would have been better if Rion was a bit consistent and did not have a rapid development.
Lisbeth Santa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisbeth-santa.html
Latest Review: Adorno y sus dos Fantasmas by Manelick de la Parra

Post by Lisbeth Santa »

I think it's a very bad thing that the author did. At first these features seemed very important and interesting to me, but then they just disappeared, it's as if the author just put it there to impress the readers but then just forgot about it. It did bother me and changed my opinion of the book a bit.

Return to “Discuss "The Fourth Kinetic" by Brady Moore”