Is Rion's character inconsistent?

Use this forum to discuss the September 2021 Book of the month, "The Fourth Kinetic: Clairvoyants Book 1" by Brady Moore
Orji Gift 1
Currently Reading: TBD August 2022 Book of the Month
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-orji-gift-1.html
Latest Review: The Thundering Herd by John E. Peltier

Re: Is Rion's character inconsistent?

Post by Orji Gift 1 »

You can't write a good book and expect the characters to be consistent. Rion character developed as the book went on, and this made him more interesting to know.
Kazak
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kazak.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by Kazak »

It really bugs me when a character suddenly changes. I mean I had gotten to know and be familiar with how he was.
doley
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-doley.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by doley »

ej_author wrote: 01 Sep 2021, 16:47 I feel like the beginning of the story set Rion up for success, as he had a lot of interesting traits. He was smart, shy, inexperienced with his powers, loved music, quoted rap lyrics to answer a teacher's question, etc. But it seemed like as soon as the plot kicked in, all of that went away. His love of music was never mentioned again, he never made another quote, and he lost the shyness he had at the beginning.

Do you think that the author dropped Rion's unique character traits to focus on the plot, and did it affect your opinion of the book? Is Rion a consistent character from the beginning to the end of the story?
I noticed this deviation of the plot but I believe it is most appropriate. It was necessary. I actually liked the direction that the plot went. The story was interesting and worth my time. And I really do not mind that I did not get to see Rion venture more into music and all that. That would have been too much to cover in the book. It will get boring.
Choky
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-choky.html
Latest Review: My life uncensored by Cristina Caymares

Post by Choky »

I would not say that Rion is an inconsistent character but rather he developed. Situations can change someone. Rion as a character, developed from being shy to having many people willing to die for him.
Gabriella H
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: A Man Who Would Be King
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gabriella-h.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Post by Gabriella H »

asteel18 wrote: 02 Sep 2021, 08:04 I wouldn't say inconsistent. He went from high school student with no worries, other than wondering when he would have to pack up and move, to fighting for his life. I'd say he had a new set of priorities.
Yeah, there were more important things to deal with and that definitely had an impact on his character. There wasn't any time to worry about the things he earlier did. So, yeah, I think it was more about a shift in priorities than inconsistency.
B Sheila Holt
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: One Christmas Eve
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-b-sheila-holt.html
Latest Review: Open Heart by Akil Taher

Post by B Sheila Holt »

As others have said above also, I don’t really think his character is so much inconsistent, as he is just growing and having to focus on new sets of priorities, leaving the old things he loved on the back burner, seemingly forgotten about. It’s possible that the author has done this on purpose to bring them back out maybe in a next book in a series? Giving readers a fresh new set of “looking back” memories, bringing all these originally discarded points back to light. Just a thought!!
Uchechukwu Okereke
Currently Reading: The Aftermath Of The King
Bookshelf Size: 42

Post by Uchechukwu Okereke »

Yes, I believe it was inconsistent for the reasons you mentioned and more. I understand that the plot needed him to grow but the change was too abrupt. it lost its natural process for me once i started seeing him emboldened. Not like a story about a superhero is any natural, though, :lol: but even as the plot was progressing quickly, I still believed we should have seen him grow as a person and character. If anything, tell us what changed him and helped his growth. I believe that missed an opportunity to showcase continuity and that made it seem like a few pages were missing from the book. You can't grow without experiencing growing pains.
Adelee Grobler
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adelee-grobler.html
Latest Review: Hemiphos by Stefanie Jacob
Reading Device: B0979KD57W

Post by Adelee Grobler »

Teenagers are inconsistent and he’s developing as the story goes on. I think it’s relatable and makes perfect sense. If the series continues there should be even more changes in the future. I like it when you can grow with a character.
Alexander C Schmoock
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 150
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alexander-c-schmoock.html
Latest Review: Survived, evolved against all the odds by Ruth Mantile

Post by Alexander C Schmoock »

What you refer to as inconsistency, I consider growth in the character and personality of Rion. His growth really helped with the brilliant advancement of the book's plot. The book wouldn't have been as intriguing as it was had Rion not grown.
Chijindu Ifedigbo
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chijindu-ifedigbo.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Chijindu Ifedigbo »

I think the author didn't mention alot of important information in the book and many characters were discharge, some points were not ended properly. Rion's development was not consistent and wasn't inconsistent.
Alyssa444
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alyssa444.html
Latest Review: The Fourth Kinetic by Brady Moore

Post by Alyssa444 »

Agreed. He seemed inconsistent in his personality. I really liked the character once he got into school. I thought he had personality and it made sense he was really shy with how isolated his life was. I would have like more character development. You know like he is playing his rap music loudly while he trains with Aries. The rapping helps him focus his energy and do the thing he never dreamed he could do. Or he's missing his mom and he falls asleep listening to rap music. Or he quotes rap lyrics in serious conversations. Maybe also the urgency of the situation pushed out his normal coping skill. Maybe his music was a coping skill for lonliness and when he found friends, focused on his natural abilities and had a bigger purpose, that coping skill was pushed back. It's possible the music aspect of his personality could come in with further books. Despite the inconsistencies of the characters, I was fascinated by the storyline.
Miracle Chidera 1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miracle-chidera-1.html
Latest Review: Can I Be Frank? by Rob Wyatt

Post by Miracle Chidera 1 »

A character is supposed to go through changes on a novel but when these changes are too rapid without the slightest explanation of what spurred them, then the character is inconsistent.
So yes, Rion was inconsistent, abruptly changing from the shy, reserved boy to a leader all of a sudden is inconsistent and often present on cliched teen superhero books like this
Susan Gibbs
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-susan-gibbs.html
Latest Review: Play Golf Better Faster: From Weekend Golfer to Pro Golfer in Two Years by Kalliope Barlis

Post by Susan Gibbs »

marba wrote: 03 Sep 2021, 09:42 I think it is normal for the characters to change as the story progresses. Given the fast pace of the novel, probably Rion had little time to think about music and needed at the same time to leave shyness behind. So, no, I can see why you have this impression, but in my opinion, Rion's character is not inconsistent.
I agree with Marba that characters can change as a story progresses. As Rion goes through different things, different aspects of his personality will be highlighted and other aspects will take a back seat.
Paluk Pathania
Favorite Book: Pride and Prejudice
Currently Reading: All the Light We Cannot See
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paluk-pathania.html
Latest Review: Bitcoin Answered by Jon Law

Post by Paluk Pathania »

It wasn't necessarily inconsistent, in my perspective, because to me, it actually appeared like the author wanted to move on and simply wanted to focus on fresh, more vital elements of his life.
Akshara Singh
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-akshara-singh.html
Latest Review: E M P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Akshara Singh »

To put it best, I would say that Rion's character developed so quickly that it made me feel a bit inconsistent. Also, his love for music should have been retained because hobbies seldom change even if the character develops.

Return to “Discuss "The Fourth Kinetic" by Brady Moore”