Did the Predators turn "good" too easily at the end?

Use this forum to discuss the September 2021 Book of the month, "The Fourth Kinetic: Clairvoyants Book 1" by Brady Moore
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: My Wind Therapy
Bookshelf Size: 407
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: My Wind Therapy: Motorcycling Through A History of Child Abuse And Domestic Violence by Queen Five Star
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Re: Did the Predators turn "good" too easily at the end?

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

Plot twists keep the reader at the edge of the seat. But such twists which come from nowhere simply cause to loos the interest of the reader. I think this sacrifice also did the same. The author wanted something to continue his story as per the plot, so he made this plot twist. But the given details about the characters did not support their act. So this 'turning good' was not only too quick, but unrealistic as well.
Dartemis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dartemis.html
Latest Review: The Fourth Kinetic by Brady Moore

Post by Dartemis »

I agree that their "change of heart" felt kinda forced. Even before that, when Aries switched sides to save Rion, that felt even more forced to me. They have only known each other for a short time and yet Aries is willing to side with him against those who are like family to him? Yeah, all the predators were just not written well for the sake of moving the story forward.
jeanmtdb
Favorite Book: Devil Among Us
Currently Reading: The Dragons of Chiroptera
Bookshelf Size: 223
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jeanmtdb.html
Latest Review: Did you know by Ashok Bhaskaran
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by jeanmtdb »

I, too, feel the ending was rushed. Many of the characters were not fully developed in this book. Perhaps in future installments of the series the reasons the predators became "good" so quickly will be revealed. It does make me want to continue reading the series to find out.
Sohana Hasan
Favorite Author: Sarah J. Maas
Favorite Book: shadow and bones
Currently Reading: The Beautiful
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sohana-hasan.html
Latest Review: Waterworks by Jack Winnick
fav_author_id: 2719

Post by Sohana Hasan »

This complete switch from evil murderer to self-sacrifice completely set me off-kilter. I definitely didn't see it coming and it felt a bit forced to me. This is just my personal opinion, but I feel like that could've been executed better.
Daniel Jembi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-daniel-jembi.html
Latest Review: Sandra Eden's War by Michael Low

Post by Daniel Jembi »

I was surprised at their sudden change of heart as well. I felt that the author was probably looking for a fast way to conclude the story. A more realistic ending would have appealed to me.
Cynthia Olyy
Currently Reading: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cynthia-olyy.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Cynthia Olyy »

The transition was rather quick. I never thought Rion could get any help from Aquila and Perseus, considering they've trying to murder him. This is so inconsistent with their character from the beginning.
Satwik Mohanty
Favorite Author: H.P. Lovecraft
Favorite Book: My Living Will
Currently Reading: Totem
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-satwik-mohanty.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman
fav_author_id: 6063

Post by Satwik Mohanty »

It surely was a rush end. Aquila and Perseus' action was not at all compatible with their previous nature. As with many of the comments, I agree that it was done to get rid of them.
Katie Blackmore
Favorite Book: The Glass Castle
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katie-blackmore.html
Latest Review: The Light of Canopus by Frasar

Post by Katie Blackmore »

It definitely that the ending was rushed and I agree that it was very unrealistic that Aquila and Perseus suddenly became the good guys and sacrificing themselves to protect Aries and Rion. I think it would have been better to deal with the ending differently and nurture that character change more slowly and in depth in the second book.
Melissa VanCleave Plant
Currently Reading: Looking Glass Friends
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melissa-vancleave-plant.html
Latest Review: Heroes of Atlantis by Ryan Carriere
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Melissa VanCleave Plant »

I feel like it was a moment of acceptance for their last kinetic. They realized the truth in his words about Auriga. They realized the real enemy was on the doorstep. However, I think it would have been more believable to fight together rather than to sacrifice themselves.
Sharill Rasowo
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Worldlines
Bookshelf Size: 210
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sharill-rasowo.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Sharill Rasowo »

Aquila and Perseus sacrificing themselves for Rion were not very believable. If the author had given more time for the readers to like them or started with smaller actions it would have been more believable. In my opinion, it was too sudden.
Tarie07
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tarie07.html
Latest Review: Korian: Ark of the Fallen King by Giorgio Garofalo

Post by Tarie07 »

I was also surprised when Aquila and Perseus tried to save Rion. The author never hinted this possibility before and I loved the fact that the ending was not too predictable. It gave the book a twist it deserved.
Christine Joy G 1
Favorite Book: How To Be Successful
Currently Reading: The Date Farm
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christine-joy-g-1.html
Latest Review: Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer's Guide by William H. Coles

Post by Christine Joy G 1 »

The sudden changes of heart of those predators didn't make much sense when the last minute they're trying to murder Rion. The turn of events felt rush at the end.
Flowers123
Favorite Book: McDowell
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-flowers123.html
Latest Review: Fragments by Bruce K. Berger

Post by Flowers123 »

Aquila and Perseus's sudden change of heart seems wrong, considering their attempts on Rion's life before that. But, I think there will be a better explanation order than self-sacrifice which is yet to be revealed. Maybe in the next series, we'll get to find out.
Laura Britos
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ana-victoria2002.html
Latest Review: The Last Time I Saw Alice by Richard Kirschenbaum

Post by Laura Britos »

Medhansh Bhardwaj wrote: 03 Sep 2021, 23:32 I was surprised by this act as well. Aquila and Perseus were the last people I expected to help Rion, let alone sacrifice themselves. This plot twist was really dramatic as their intentions were on the opposite end of the spectrum a few moments ago- to kill Rion. That being said, I won't suggest this character change to be forced, because this is exactly how a major plot twist should be. And similar plot twists have been done in many fictional novels in the past as well- good guys become evil in the end, and the bad ones become good.
I agree with you. However, isn't it better to see some signals about certain character development or underdevelopment, in the case of the good guys who become bad guys, in order to understand said plot twist better? Otherwise it might seem only like they did this very unjustified (based on their characters) action that completely changes up the plot but other than that, it is not consistent with the way they were portrayed.
Christine Joy G 1
Favorite Book: How To Be Successful
Currently Reading: The Date Farm
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christine-joy-g-1.html
Latest Review: Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer's Guide by William H. Coles

Post by Christine Joy G 1 »

The ending didn't really fit with the flow of the story. The sudden change of heart came from nowhere. The character development felt rushed and forces.

Return to “Discuss "The Fourth Kinetic" by Brady Moore”