Did the Predators turn "good" too easily at the end?

Use this forum to discuss the September 2021 Book of the month, "The Fourth Kinetic: Clairvoyants Book 1" by Brady Moore
Menace Crypto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nonny2208.html
Latest Review: Pandemic (The U.S. Pandemic in India) by Dieter Gartelmann

Re: Did the Predators turn "good" too easily at the end?

Post by Menace Crypto »

In my honest opinion, there was nothing normal about the character change. I felt like the author was out of Ideas or just wanted to give closure to the story. But, from Aquila and Perseus hostile nature throughout the book. Such character change is unrealistic.
Guda Lydia
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-guda-lydia.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Guda Lydia »

Theoretically, people should change just with the slightest persuasion or convincing to change one's ways. However, things are never as black and white in life. The reason the change of heart in Aquila and Perseus seems rushed and unrealistic is because we know that such kind of change takes time and a lot of effort.
Choky
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-choky.html
Latest Review: My life uncensored by Cristina Caymares

Post by Choky »

The twist at the end for both Aquila and Perseus was unexpected and sudden. I agree that bad guys can suddenly change their minds but there should have been an explanation or backstory leading us to that.
Kim Jek
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kim-jek.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by Kim Jek »

I agree with others that the ending appeared too good to be true and rushed. It is quite unrealistic that enemies would suddenly change their minds. A more realistic ending would have been suitable.
Mydustybooks
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mydustybooks.html
Latest Review: Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer's Guide by William H. Coles

Post by Mydustybooks »

OMW. Exactly. That came out of left field. I understand the need to surprise the reader at the end but at least plant seeds along the way so it isn't jarring. Like a good twist ending can be unexpected and make sense for the story at the same time.
Chimdiya A
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chimdiya-a.html
Latest Review: Who Told You That You Were Naked? by William Combs

Post by Chimdiya A »

Too fast yes! But, it's possible for a very quick change too. I found it interesting that they were willing to sacrifice their lives for Rion.
Joe Candle
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joe-candle.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Joe Candle »

I think there are some really big issues with the motivation of the c characters in this book in general and this aspect just proves it. Although, the problem with the psychology of the characters is really common in this genre of books.
Josie Wert
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-josie-wert.html
Latest Review: The Last Lumenian by S.G. Blaise

Post by Josie Wert »

AtienoMagero wrote: 09 Sep 2021, 09:53 I didn't like the ending. It seemed very rushed. That plot twist made no sense given Aquila and Perseus's nature. I think it was anticlimactic.
“Rushed” was the exact word going through my head. Aquila and Perseus were, in my opinion, well-developed characters until they turned around in a complete 360. I think it feels this way because the author was trying to still have a relatively “happy” (ish) ending to a book where it felt like they never won.
Ondijo Junior
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ondijo-junior.html
Latest Review: Why Can't Johnny Just Quit? by Kyle Oh

Post by Ondijo Junior »

Yeah, I was very surprised on how the predators turned good so easily, I expected it to take time and to be a hard rock but it happened so easy.
Absenc Of Evidence, is Never an Evidence Of Absence
Chijindu Ifedigbo
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chijindu-ifedigbo.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Chijindu Ifedigbo »

Yes, but i didn't like the ending and got me excited on what will happen next. The predators became good at the end.
Miracle Chidera 1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miracle-chidera-1.html
Latest Review: Can I Be Frank? by Rob Wyatt

Post by Miracle Chidera 1 »

Although the ending felt rushed with Aquila and Perseus playing sacrificial lambs, it was just the author's building block of book two and a smart way to hook our interest. Everyone wants to know why, no matter how eye rolling stimulating the reason is.
Arite Seki
Currently Reading: The Alchemist
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-arite-seki.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White

Post by Arite Seki »

I do think in reality that kind of change would be very unlikely if anything, but I feel like with fictional stories there's a lot more leeway and the author can use these moments to create a dramatic plot twist.
Alyssa444
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alyssa444.html
Latest Review: The Fourth Kinetic by Brady Moore

Post by Alyssa444 »

Do we actually know if Perseus and Aquila died? I don't recall bodies being found. So maybe they aren't really dead?

Also it did seem like their fight for Auriga's rescue seemed to be feuling their aggression. Like a missplaced grief. Sometimes learning something new can instantly shift your life. So maybe learning Auriga isn't a prisoner after all those years and their fight is over shifted them in a sudden way like that. I agree though throughout the book Perseus and Aquila never showed much kindness toward Rion like Aries did. But then again, Leon never did too and he also switched sides.
Melissa Katherine
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melissa-katherine.html
Latest Review: True Teryn by S.G. Blaise

Post by Melissa Katherine »

It did seem a little too sudden to me. However, the entire reason they became hostile as “predators” in the first place was because they wanted to save Auriga. In wasn’t until they were already in a fight with Rion that they learned Auriga was rescued but didn’t survive. After Rion beat them, they probably fully processed that Auriga was gone, so then what’s their new motive. The whole reason they were fighting with Rion was to try to recover the flash drive to trade it to Psyriin for Auriga. If Auriga is dead, then there’s no need to continue fighting Rion to trade with Psyriin. The only thing left for them to fight for is to just fight Psyriin to stop them, and in order to stop them, Rion and the others needed to be able to escape to be able to fight against Psyriin. Also, Rion had the chance to kill both of them, but he didn’t, he just stopped them as much as he needed to. So it was a little sudden, but Psyriin was almost to the school, so there wasn’t much time for them to think.
Amenrodion
Currently Reading: Fates Sweet Passion
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amenrodion.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Amenrodion »

I think they turned good too easily, and this led me to feel a bit dissatisfied with the story's ending. Did anyone else feel that way?

Return to “Discuss "The Fourth Kinetic" by Brady Moore”