How did the subtle romantic hints with the 3 main females and rion make you feel?

Use this forum to discuss the September 2021 Book of the month, "The Fourth Kinetic: Clairvoyants Book 1" by Brady Moore
Daniel Jembi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-daniel-jembi.html
Latest Review: Sandra Eden's War by Michael Low

Re: How did the subtle romantic hints with the 3 main females and rion make you feel?

Post by Daniel Jembi »

I didn't like how he was moving between the girls. Considering the fact that Dee was his first acquaintance, I would have preferred him to stuck with her.
Cynthia Olyy
Currently Reading: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cynthia-olyy.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Cynthia Olyy »

It is common for teenagers, so I don't really find it worthy to cause my eyes to roll. It's a good thing it did not distract the plot. That's where it would have made a good topic for discussion.
Atieno Magero
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 145
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-atieno-magero.html
Latest Review: Stevie Tenderheart Books WAIT A MINUTE! (An Illustrated Novella) by Steve William Laible

Post by Atieno Magero »

I think Rion's behavior was natural given the fact that he's a teenager. It's normal for teen boys to be undecisive and crush on girls. I can't lie it did make me roll my eyes too.
Melissa VanCleave Plant
Currently Reading: Looking Glass Friends
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melissa-vancleave-plant.html
Latest Review: Heroes of Atlantis by Ryan Carriere
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Melissa VanCleave Plant »

I truly read it as a 17-year-old boy with minimal life experiences. These are the first girls/women he has been close to at all in his life. He has constantly moved. He doesn't even know what it feels like to have a family. I actually believe these particular character interactions were very well written.
Josie Wert
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-josie-wert.html
Latest Review: The Last Lumenian by S.G. Blaise

Post by Josie Wert »

I honestly thought Dee wasn’t going to be in the story after Rion left. He thought about her a little but then she wasn’t a focus for the whole story until the end when they had a dramatic goodbye. Any feelings Rion has helps him develop, so I didn’t necessarily roll my eyes, but I was confused at why Rion and Dee’s last meeting was so emotional when she wasn’t even a driving force of his emotion for most of the book.
Ekezie1998
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 91
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ekezie1998.html
Latest Review: life lessons of wayne by shawn wayne swearingen

Post by Ekezie1998 »

I certainly did not have any problem with the possibility of a love triangle developing in the plot between Rion and Ara and Aquila. If anything, it added a bit of dynamism to Rion’s already rigid character.
Nonso Ok
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nonso-ok.html
Latest Review: A Murder in Brownsville by Donald Steven Collins

Post by Nonso Ok »

I saw nothing wrong with the love triangle. However, the author seemed to just be in a hurry to mention it and get on with the plot. Would have been better if these were a bit more developed. The way they were casually mentioned without any emotions makes them seem unnecessary.
Mydustybooks
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mydustybooks.html
Latest Review: Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer's Guide by William H. Coles

Post by Mydustybooks »

For the most part, I prefer books without the love interests. That said, I think it does spotlight the idea that one can be attracted to many people, especially in the modern internet dating context. While I didn't personally care for it, I thought teens might find it relatable. I did enjoy, though, that even though he was attracted to all of them, there was one clear connection that was a lot stronger - his bond with Aquila.
Sara chhawniwala
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sara-chhawniwala.html
Latest Review: Living Abroad: Challenging the Myths of Expat Life by Jim Santos

Post by Sara chhawniwala »

Rion looks undecided. As if he can’t make his mind up with whom to choose. Or he just wants to maintain his crushes.
Limpho Mojakisane
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
Bookshelf Size: 76
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-limpho-mojakisane.html
Latest Review: Dante's Demons by K.L. Barstow

Post by Limpho Mojakisane »

asteel18 wrote: 21 Sep 2021, 17:59 Maybe a bit of a crush but I also think he admired them for their strength and intelligence. I agree about the love triangle in that I don't think it would have helped the story, maybe even hurt it.
I happen to share the same sentiments with you. The love triangle would have really destroyed the storyline a bit, i think, if not as a whole.
Orji Gift 1
Currently Reading: TBD August 2022 Book of the Month
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-orji-gift-1.html
Latest Review: The Thundering Herd by John E. Peltier

Post by Orji Gift 1 »

Considering that this was a teenage book not adding a love life would have made it incomplete however the love story wasn't even much developed. Rion crushed on so many girls just like any boy does.
Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Happy Healing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 301
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nqobile-mashinini-tshabalala.html
Latest Review: Alpha Buddies Land by Donna Marie Rink

Post by Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala »

Considering his age, I think it is to be expected. I did not frown upon these scenes. He was just being a teenager experiencing and acting on his feelings and hormones. I did question his lack of 'stability or 'commitment' or even his ability to maintain relationship. I hope he will have a lasting relationship with Dee but I suppose we'll have to wait for the next installment. I'd like to read it also.
Documented history is a gift from the past to the future! - NqobileM
doley
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-doley.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by doley »

asteel18 wrote: 21 Sep 2021, 17:59 Maybe a bit of a crush but I also think he admired them for their strength and intelligence. I agree about the love triangle in that I don't think it would have helped the story, maybe even hurt it.
I definitely agree with you. I think that was a little overboard and unnecessary. Although the fact that it was not overly emphasized makes it much better, however, i think we , the readers, could have done without that. Nevertheless, that was not enough to bastardize the book. Great job by the author for this much.
kirthana_shivakumar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kirthana-shivakumar.html
Latest Review: Depiction of women characters as Victims of Oppresion and Agents of action in selected short stories by Rushika Gill

Post by kirthana_shivakumar »

Yeah to me all the romance felt a little bit extra and unnecessary. I understand why the author added that in, but I would've been perfectly alright without it.
Blucabana
Currently Reading: The girl that loved carravalagio
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-blucabana.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Post by Blucabana »

The author creates a subtle love triangle between Rion, Ara, Aquila and Dee. I believe he created it because he feels that the audience expects to read it in the novel. However, the romantic storyline is quite realistic, as a 17 year old boy with raging hormones could have crushes on multiple females. Even the sudden kiss he had with Dee is very normal with teenage boys. I do think the love triangle is unnecessary for the story and did not enhance its general performance.

Return to “Discuss "The Fourth Kinetic" by Brady Moore”