How did the subtle romantic hints with the 3 main females and rion make you feel?

Use this forum to discuss the September 2021 Book of the month, "The Fourth Kinetic: Clairvoyants Book 1" by Brady Moore
Killian Nichilo
Currently Reading: The Selection
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-killian-nichilo.html
Latest Review: The Fourth Kinetic by Brady Moore
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Icon How did the subtle romantic hints with the 3 main females and rion make you feel?

Post by Killian Nichilo »

Rion is mentioned to be attracted to all the main girls; and even kisses Dee at the end. Did anyone roll their eyes at this a bit? I'm absolutely thankful there wasn't a big focus on a love triangle like so many other young adult books struggle with. However I couldn't help but snort a bit at how he went from Ara, to Aquila, then back to Ara as he went through the story. Am I reading too much into it? Or is it more the case of a boy who keeps everyone out having crushes on any girl he meets?
Anna Kane
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anna-kane.html

Post by Anna Kane »

I read it more as a 17 year old with no stable life experiencing hormones. However, I do see your point and does cause the eyes to roll.
asteel18
Currently Reading: Bluewater Walkabout
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-asteel18.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Post by asteel18 »

Maybe a bit of a crush but I also think he admired them for their strength and intelligence. I agree about the love triangle in that I don't think it would have helped the story, maybe even hurt it.
-Amy
Killian Nichilo

Anna Kane wrote: 21 Sep 2021, 14:43 I read it more as a 17 year old with no stable life experiencing hormones. However, I do see your point and does cause the eyes to roll.
I completely understand what you are saying. However I suppose I wonder if it’s hormones; mostly since if we take the scientific approach. Hormones cause lust more often rather than romantic attraction. The only one he really showed some mild sexual attraction toward is Aquila. Ara and dee are sort of up in the air. Mostly because he is clearly hung up on Dee after her memory was erased; and ara being so nice to him has the hints of being set up for a romantic interest in the next few books. So I suppose I also think it’s might be more than just hormones.
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Time Before Time
Bookshelf Size: 1015
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: All the Targets by Noah Bond

Post by Amy Luman »

Teenage boys are notorious for this type of behavior. There are certainly hints of this, but I don’t think anything will come of any of it, even in future books. Maybe Mr. Moore only added it because he felt that it was expected. It sure wasn’t developed.
Killian Nichilo

Amy Luman wrote: 22 Sep 2021, 11:18 Teenage boys are notorious for this type of behavior. There are certainly hints of this, but I don’t think anything will come of any of it, even in future books. Maybe Mr. Moore only added it because he felt that it was expected. It sure wasn’t developed.
I suppose I am afraid that something will come of it; and if Aquila has a change of heart , that when we see her again there we’ll be an Ara, Rion, Aquila love triangle. While Rion is still hung up on Dee or something. However I never even thought about the idea that the author put it out of expectation. If that is the case that opens up an entire conversation about how sad it is that an author adds something out of expectation. I really hope it wasn’t him doing it out of expectations because I think it’s depressing that an author adds something he has no interest in; just because all other books follow that pattern.
Hogwarts03
Currently Reading: Shatter Me
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hogwarts03.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Hogwarts03 »

I found this romantic aspect completely unnecessary and am inclined to agree with the reviewers who mention that the author may have added them out of necessity instead of genuine interest or to move the plot forward. The romantic storylines weren't developed at all and I honestly didn't find any joy when Rion kissed Dee. There wasn't any slow burn romance or any of the romance tropes that most readers enjoy.
I do wish that the author hadn't made it a love triangle when it was clear that the romantic feelings on all sides weren't equal. I would have preferred a romantic plot of one of the other female characters with another person or have them realize that they're not always supposed to be looking for romance and can do bigger things, even with a protagonist already in place. Sadly, this is another instance where the female characters may be used for heroics, but they are written in such a way that they are mainly recognized in romantic plots.
I didn't like this plot very much.
Ayomid
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ayomid.html
Latest Review: A Spiritual Dog: "Bear" by J. Wesley Porter

Post by Ayomid »

I think I might view the book as a little incomplete without this 'love' part because Rion is also human and would be expected to have romantic feelings as well. Besides, he spent so much time with Dee that I would have been surprised if nothing came of it.
Killian Nichilo

Ayomid wrote: 24 Sep 2021, 05:14 I think I might view the book as a little incomplete without this 'love' part because Rion is also human and would be expected to have romantic feelings as well. Besides, he spent so much time with Dee that I would have been surprised if nothing came of it.
I mean I suppose I understand what you mean; I'm merely trying to play Devil's advocate here but. Why would there need to be something to come from it? I mean we all have friends, or someone in our lives we spent a lot of time with. You don't fall in love with them; because they are just a friend. What I'm trying to say is, thou I see what you mean. To me it would have been more satisfactory if Rion just learned a lesson from his friendship with Dee. Because the it allowed Dee to remain a character on her own; without some need for romance. Romance is of course allowed to happen, Rion is allowed to find girls pretty. However, the kissing Dee really felt jarring; because to me up to that point they seemed to just be good friends.
brooke oakes
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brooke-oakes.html
Latest Review: The Intelligence Factor by Erik Fisher

Post by brooke oakes »

Anna Kane wrote: 21 Sep 2021, 14:43 I read it more as a 17 year old with no stable life experiencing hormones. However, I do see your point and does cause the eyes to roll.
I felt the same. To me, it was more like he was a teenager who wanted to make sure he wasn’t missing out. He wasn’t sure of what it was that he really wanted.
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: My Wind Therapy
Bookshelf Size: 407
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: My Wind Therapy: Motorcycling Through A History of Child Abuse And Domestic Violence by Queen Five Star
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

I think Brady Moore added these three girls to his arsenal to be utilized in the coming sequel. So he simply used Rion's crush on each of these characters to keep them close, but not too close as it might hinder the progression of the story. I think it is too early to judge Rion's relationship with any of these girls.
Courtney Hughes
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-courtney-hughes.html
Latest Review: Summer in the City by Kevin Phelps

Post by Courtney Hughes »

I liked the subtle love triangle. Did anyone else notice it with Lyra as well? She flirted with him, it seemed, even as a cat! I feel it was for multiple reasons that have been mention by others in the forum. The sequel could be a reason and, most notably, the fact that he is a teenager experiencing hormones.
Suzer6440 xyz
Favorite Book: Pearl River Mansion
Currently Reading: Five Total Strangers
Bookshelf Size: 201
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-suzer6440-xyz.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White

Post by Suzer6440 xyz »

I understand why you would be rolling your eyes a bit. Lol. My opinion is this : at 17, being attracted to three girls? Well I think at this point in Rions life, it’s a pretty normal thing. I don’t so much agree to it but I think he really did not know what he wanted so why not act the way he did?
Kayla McColl
Favorite Book: The Legacy
Currently Reading: Pillow Thoughts
Bookshelf Size: 999
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kayla-mccoll.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Kayla McColl »

In reality a 17 year old boy liking three girls isn't too farfetched and makes a lot of sense. In a book setting however I do get irritated with the lack of commitment, it does make you roll your eyes as you say. I think it was just a way to add the characters into the story with a tangible link to Rion as that they weren't just fleeting characters.
Hyacinth Bella
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hyacinth-bella.html
Latest Review: The Magician's Secret by Charles Townsend

Post by Hyacinth Bella »

Really did not like that part. I was expecting a coming-of-age book without a love interest in the plot, but I guess it won't be coming-of-age if there isn't one because having crushes are normal when it comes to growing up.

Return to “Discuss "The Fourth Kinetic" by Brady Moore”