How did the subtle romantic hints with the 3 main females and rion make you feel?

Use this forum to discuss the September 2021 Book of the month, "The Fourth Kinetic: Clairvoyants Book 1" by Brady Moore
Choky
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-choky.html
Latest Review: My life uncensored by Cristina Caymares

Re: How did the subtle romantic hints with the 3 main females and rion make you feel?

Post by Choky »

I feel like the romantic hints were unnecessary. The book is okay without it. I never felt that there was strong chemistry between any of them.
Purplesturv
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-purplesturv.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Post by Purplesturv »

Teenage love affairs can be cute and the entanglements are usually a part of it. I believe it helped the character development of the book.
Black Jewel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-black-jewel.html
Latest Review: The Game by Molly Perry

Post by Black Jewel »

His waffling definitely triggered eye rolls from me. But it could have been that he did not understand the distinction between 'friend' and 'romantic interest' due to being antisocial and not knowing how to properly process his feelings.
Mr_James
Currently Reading: A grand deception
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mr-james.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White

Post by Mr_James »

I am thankful that Brady did not focus on a love triangle. That would have messed up the story. However, there is a subtle love triangle between Rion, Aquilla, Dee and Ara. I think Rion's attraction to them is caused by teenage hormones.
Victory Esther
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Victory Esther »

i found it quite intriguing. although the idea of multiple love interests isn't something am usually into, this one really captured my attention
Adelee Grobler
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adelee-grobler.html
Latest Review: Hemiphos by Stefanie Jacob
Reading Device: B0979KD57W

Post by Adelee Grobler »

I think it relates to teenage boys. It’s normal for teenagers to jump from one crush to another.
Chijindu Ifedigbo
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chijindu-ifedigbo.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Chijindu Ifedigbo »

Same, he was a teenage boy who did know what he wants. He just want ti do what others were doing and don't want to be found missing out.
Marlene Venter
Favorite Book: The Complete Sherlock Holmes
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marlene-venter.html
Latest Review: The Biblical Clock by Daniel Friedmann and Dania Sheldon

Post by Marlene Venter »

I didn't think much of it. Being a teenager and inexperienced, Rion should be confused about his feelings for girls. I am glad that the story didn't develop more in that direction, otherwise it would have been a romance novel. I think the fact that it was mentioned that he liked the girls was just a way for the author to add dimension to his character and add another layer to the story.
Alyssa444
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alyssa444.html
Latest Review: The Fourth Kinetic by Brady Moore

Post by Alyssa444 »

Well, it actually makes sense with him coming from such an isolated environment. When you go from not having any friends to ten and also with three pretty girls, it makes sense for this to become overwhelming. He doesn't know his mom or any other girl, so how would he even be able to choose? Those feelings for connection and attraction to all these girls has got to be overwhelming for him! And Dee initiated the kiss-haha! I did roll my eyes a little because teen books often go this way of a love triangle.
Rosemary Wright
Bookshelves Moderator
Favorite Author: Sydney Sheldon
Favorite Book: Spanky
Currently Reading: Culture Man
Bookshelf Size: 689
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-wright.html
Latest Review: Gods Whisper Always Near by Sharon Williams
Reading Device: Android

Post by Rosemary Wright »

Rion being attracted to three females is okay. That element spices the story since it's normal for teenagers to have crushes.
Cwilde13
Currently Reading: Watership Down
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cwilde13.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Cwilde13 »

I could have done without the subtle romantic hints. Rion could admire the intelligence and strengths of the girls without seeing them in a romantic light. I think authors are to quick to jump from friendship to romance when sometimes the friendship between characters can move the story along much better than romance could.
Susan Gibbs
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-susan-gibbs.html
Latest Review: Wisdom by Arun mago

Post by Susan Gibbs »

It does seem a bit irritating for Rion to flit between three love interests. It says more about Rion being unsure than anything negative about the girls. Perhaps adding this to the book is just a side issue, not helpful to the plot.
Latest Review: Wisdom by Arun mago
Paluk Pathania
Favorite Book: Pride and Prejudice
Currently Reading: All the Light We Cannot See
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paluk-pathania.html
Latest Review: Bitcoin Answered by Jon Law

Post by Paluk Pathania »

The romantic overtones, in my opinion, were needless. Without it, the book is just good. It didn't make much of a difference to me. However, I understand why the author addressed all of this because I suppose he meant to give us all a taste of adolescence.
Akshara Singh
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-akshara-singh.html
Latest Review: E M P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Akshara Singh »

You are right. I get frustrated when the characters keep switching their love interests, it doesn't keep things consistent for me. I get a lot confused that what did just happened and why. But I understand that it is a bit natural for teenagers to feel butterflies for one person today and for another person after a few days. They lack the maturity that will eventually come with their experiences.
Taylor Austin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-taylor-austin.html
Latest Review: The Fourth Kinetic by Brady Moore

Post by Taylor Austin »

I totally agree. I thought that the mentions of any romance/sexual tension with these female characters were very sporadic and random. This could be contributed to hormones, but I thought it wasn't consistent with Rion's view of the women which was strong, powerful, and respectful. It just seemed kind of forced to add some unnecessary sexual tension that wasn't relevant to the characters or the story. I do think it will come up in future installments, but I hope it makes a little more sense.

Return to “Discuss "The Fourth Kinetic" by Brady Moore”