Do you wish that you knew and had read this medical handbook before? (You may share your story, if you feel comfortable)

Use this forum to discuss the October 2021 Book of the month, " Preppers Medical Handbook" by William W Forgey
britcott30
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: Hello, My Love
Currently Reading: The Overdue Life of Amy Byler
Bookshelf Size: 77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-britcott30.html
Latest Review: My Trip To Adele by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer

Re: Do you wish that you knew and had read this medical handbook before? (You may share your story, if you feel comforta

Post by britcott30 »

Thankfully I and my loved ones have not got into this situation yet. But this medical handbook is very useful for us to prepare about what we have to do if we face medical situations like those. It is more effective than we have to google and got a lot of suggestions from different resources and confuse ourselves.
Dzejn_Crvena
Favorite Book: The Greater Understanding
Currently Reading: The Wish List
Bookshelf Size: 2322
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dzejn-crvena.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Dzejn_Crvena »

Do I wish that I read this book before? Absolutely!

Without prior knowledge on first aid, I'd have said the same thing. However, I was trained from elementary to high school on how to respond to situations where first aid is necessary. I've read lots of books similar to this one, and I'm glad that this handbook lists all the things I learned before.
just call me "jane" :tiphat:
John Owen
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Baggage
Bookshelf Size: 155
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-john-owen.html
Latest Review: All Body Bags and No Knickers by Shawe Ruckus
2024 Reading Goal: 52
2024 Goal Completion: 123%

Post by John Owen »

regentisbetter wrote: 03 Oct 2021, 18:34 I had an incident where a friend of mine was choking and I didn’t know what to do or how to perform the very simple Heinrich maneuver and as such hue could have died if my teacher did not immediately leap to the rescue and saved his life. This is an impact i felt would have been greatly appreciated before.
I also was in a familiar situation, my niece once chocked on the food she was eating, but luckily the mother knew what to. I'm not sure what would have happened if I was alone but I don't think it would have been pleasant.
Harmony in chaos. It's all a matter of perspective.
Unosthetic
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unosthetic.html
Latest Review: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks by Morton E Tavel, MD

Post by Unosthetic »

If only I could bring back time, I'll find this book in every bookstore available. I wish I had read this book a little earlier. I'm not aware that the things I did before could bring this harm to me. This type of book should be given more attention.
Jessica045
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessica045.html
Latest Review: George by James H Russell

Post by Jessica045 »

I really wish that I've read it before. There were times I had health issues and other times, I was in a place where someone urgently needed first aid. It would have definitely helped. But then, now I know.
El_limitless
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-el-limitless.html
Latest Review: Public Hostage Public Ransom by William Bronston MD

Post by El_limitless »

A student collapsed at our school football pitch one day and had a heart attack. He died because we couldn't immediately perform a CPR on him. Nobody had an idea how to do that. I wish I had read the section of this book on Heart attack (Myocardial Infarction) and how to preform CPR before now. That boy wouldn't have died.
Brenda Creech
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Mary Pat Ferron Caines
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading: Rainbow’s End
Bookshelf Size: 357
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brenda-creech.html
Latest Review: Was She Crying for Me? by Jerry Hyde
fav_author_id: 253250

Post by Brenda Creech »

Orion in the Rye wrote: 03 Oct 2021, 11:59 Last year a neighbor while carrying a box suffered a heart attack. It happened in front of my house. I always wondered if I could have done something. In the section "Heart Attack" (Myocardial Infarction) the author explains: "providing CPR to a
heart attack victim who cannot be defibrillated within 4 minutes is a lost cause". I live very far from the hospital, perhaps it would have been useless to apply CPR, but I would have read the book before and tried to do something.
The odds are definitely against someone who has to have CPR and defibrillation longer than four minutes, but I have to disagree with the author on it being 'a lost cause!' I have had two relatives, my step-father and a brother-in-law who both have undergone CPR for over 20 minutes, and both survived without any adverse effects! It is highly unusual for that to happen, but it is also possible, so regardless of the situation I would begin CPR anyway after calling 911.
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
John Owen

Post by John Owen »

B Creech wrote: 08 Oct 2021, 10:15
Orion in the Rye wrote: 03 Oct 2021, 11:59 Last year a neighbor while carrying a box suffered a heart attack. It happened in front of my house. I always wondered if I could have done something. In the section "Heart Attack" (Myocardial Infarction) the author explains: "providing CPR to a
heart attack victim who cannot be defibrillated within 4 minutes is a lost cause". I live very far from the hospital, perhaps it would have been useless to apply CPR, but I would have read the book before and tried to do something.
The odds are definitely against someone who has to have CPR and defibrillation longer than four minutes, but I have to disagree with the author on it being 'a lost cause!' I have had two relatives, my step-father and a brother-in-law who both have undergone CPR for over 20 minutes, and both survived without any adverse effects! It is highly unusual for that to happen, but it is also possible, so regardless of the situation I would begin CPR anyway after calling 911.
I agree. Not everyone is the same, and many factors may lead to either a person surviving or not being able to make it. Fitness, how healthy you are, surrounding conditions etcs... you know?
Sometimes it's out of sheer luck there someone survives, or to the religious ones, a miracle. I am speaking as a layman though. :lol:
Kaushiki Parihar
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaushiki-parihar.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Kaushiki Parihar »

There were a lot of situations in my life wherein I wished that I knew how to deal with it. The most recent one was my grandmother who also suffered from a heart attack, and we really didn't know what to do and how to help her calm. This book is really helpful and taught me a lot on how to deal some emergency medical situations.
John Owen

Post by John Owen »

In my opinion, I do think everyone should read the book sooner than they've done, but for the purpose of information only. Some information are important, like on diet and staying healthy, but others better be left to the medics, for example, emergencies like heart attack. I wouldn't want to act hero in something I only have very little info about... The best thing would be to call an ambulance, and let the doctors handle the situation. It also helps going for regular medical checkups, and attending to the slightest symptom before it becomes serious.
So, yes. I should have read this book earlier.
Stephanie Elizabeth
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 212
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Do You Remember Me? by Wm M Crouch

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth »

I definitely wish I had read this book when it came to what I could do while waiting for an ambulance when someone had suffered a heart attack. I know the first twenty minutes can be crucial to a person's outcome.
Reema Aydieh
Currently Reading: Everyone in My Family Has Killed Someone
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reema-aydieh.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by Reema Aydieh »

Yes, it would've helped a lot.
I remember my little brother choking on an ice cube when he drank too fast and forgot that the cube was there. I didn't know what to do back then but thankfully my mother knew and saved the day.
“Just keep swimming.”
Jennifer Garcia 555
Currently Reading: Vagabond
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennifer-garcia-555.html
Latest Review: Somebody’s Watching You by Robin D'Amato

Post by Jennifer Garcia 555 »

I can’t think of a time in my life that this information would have helped me, but it will be a great resource for when we are out camping and far away from hospitals. I feel better having medical advise on hand.
“Isn’t it nice to think that tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it yet?” — L. M. Montgomery
Nonso Ok
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nonso-ok.html
Latest Review: A Murder in Brownsville by Donald Steven Collins

Post by Nonso Ok »

It's always helpful having more medical knowledge. It would have been helpful when my elder brother passed on because we didn't know how to carry out the simple proceedure of CPR. I don't want to recall it, but I'm glad this book would help a host of others.
Amanda I
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amanda-i.html
Latest Review: Brand Real by Vasken Kalayjian

Post by Amanda I »

Having medical knowledge can never be disregarded as unimportant. The knowledge I have gained from this book would have helped me with my father's Illness. Well, I thank God for him. I appreciate the knowledge this book provides.

Return to “Discuss the "Preppers Medical Handbook" by William W Forgey”