Educating common people on professional subjects, is it helpful or is it an asking for a disaster?

Use this forum to discuss the October 2021 Book of the month, " Preppers Medical Handbook" by William W Forgey
Elisa Joy Ocasla
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elisa-joy-ocasla.html
Latest Review: Speech! by Simon Prentis

Re: Educating common people on professional subjects, is it helpful or is it an asking for a disaster?

Post by Elisa Joy Ocasla »

Of course, in many cases, this could be very pertinent in an urgent situation. Both points are valid, but despite the author's lack of professionalism in the field, I believe this preconceived practice has the potential to save lives. However, it is always plausible to consult and only believe in information gleaned from clinical research conducted by professionals in the field, but this does not imply that the author has never delved into. In my opinion, everyone should have a basic understanding of such occurrences.
Francis Aderogbin
Favorite Book: Money Faucet
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 189
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-francis-aderogbin.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Francis Aderogbin »

In my opinion, as the writer have said, it is in emergency situation this can be performed. I believe after the emergency situation has been attended to, then a professional should be called in to continue from there. I believe having this knowledge is good for emergency purposes.
Salah bourouba
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Jane Austen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 137
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-salah-bourouba.html
Latest Review: Surviving the Business of Healthcare by Barbara Galutia Regis PA-C
fav_author_id: 2379

Post by Salah bourouba »

educating common people is definetly an advantage in some situations but the deeper the information the worst the situation could be, a common person can't do surgery, but he can help someone who might drowned and do cpr so the it depends on the situation
Recite in the name of your Lord who created [*] Created man from a clinging substance [*] Recite, and your Lord is the most Generous [*] Who taught by the pen [*] Taught man that which he knew not.
The Quran. Surah Al Alaq
Goodness C N
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-goodness-c-n.html
Latest Review: Love Yourself & Lose Weight: The Success Story of Self Love by Katie Lips

Post by Goodness C N »

There's a reason why it is called "emergency" when a medical professional is not readily available, what can a non-medic around do to help a needy patient? We need to inform people on how to help themselves.
regentisbetter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-regentisbetter.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by regentisbetter »

Knowledge can only ever be helpful . The application of that knowledge is up to the people themselves but sharing knowledge can only ever lead to good things . There will be less loss o d life as more and more people are capable of thinking and reacting quickly to assist in a life or death situation than those who had no knowledge of the act.
Menace Crypto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nonny2208.html
Latest Review: Pandemic (The U.S. Pandemic in India) by Dieter Gartelmann

Post by Menace Crypto »

I agree that sometimes people tend to take matters into their own hands and end up making matters worse, but I think the benefits outweighs the harm. Having the medical knowledge to deal with medical emergency has saved and will continue saving a lot of lives.
Elendu Ekechukwu
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elendu-ekechukwu.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Elendu Ekechukwu »

It has it's advantage and disadvantages but I think the advantages out weighs the disadvantage. You could educate a common person on health matters and he would use it to save someone's life.
Nathaniel Owolabi
Favorite Book: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nathaniel-owolabi.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Nathaniel Owolabi »

In this parts of the world where I am from, I think this book can play a very important role, educating people on what to do in certain circumstances, because there is no emergency service to call. Typically, when accidents or medical emergencies occur, it's left to the people around to find a way to get the person to the hospital. In that case, it would help a lot if the people have certain medical knowledge like the ones this book provides. They might not be the professionals but at least they can try their best and do what they can rather than just sitting duck.
mbhuibregtse
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mbhuibregtse.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by mbhuibregtse »

I think it is extremely valuable to educate people on professional subjects. If they are not getting information from books, they may get it from other sources that are frequently invalid. Thinking about today's social climate around fake news and unreliable sources, I think that teaching the public to be more educated and aware is a good thing.
Suzer6440 xyz
Favorite Book: Pearl River Mansion
Currently Reading: Five Total Strangers
Bookshelf Size: 201
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-suzer6440-xyz.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White

Post by Suzer6440 xyz »

This book and the information we read on Google is definitely not the same in my eyes. I look at that book as educational and informational, but I do agree that if the matter is of “extreme serious”nature, it is good to be aware of the do’s and the don’ts which this book does provide. My personal thinking is that it will always depend on the severity of the problem to decide whether a professional needs to step in.
Chetna_Kharbanda
Currently Reading: Unsound
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chetna-123.html
Latest Review: "Are You a N****r or a Doctor?" by Otto E. Stallworth Jr. MD MBA

Post by Chetna_Kharbanda »

I agree that googling symptoms and medical procedures may not be the answer to treat oneself or others. However, knowledge of first aid and handy medical information would help. In my opinion, one must seek professional help even if you have hints on the situation. An untimely and unprofessional examination may turn less potential suffering into a fatal one.
Vishnu Priya B
Currently Reading: The Unwanted Guest
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vishnu-priya-b.html
Latest Review: A Walk Through the Grapes by David Jackson

Post by Vishnu Priya B »

Though I'm not a medical professional, I believe one can not gain medical knowledge just by reading one book. Or dozens of books for that matter. I do support gaining the knowledge of basic emergency first aid that you're supposed to give before a professional help arrives. But trying to educate non-professional people on a deeper level only makes things worse. Most often that not, people tend to self medicate which is an absolute disaster.
ReaderAisha2020
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-readeraisha2020.html
Latest Review: Your Adventurous Life Awaits by Maryann Remsberg and Brian Remsberg

Post by ReaderAisha2020 »

I think it is necessary at times. For example, there may not be a medically trained person available.

Unfortunately, many people are losing trust in medical professionals. They don't always give correct advice.

For this reason some of us research information before we go to a doctor to get it confirmed.

In fact, sometimes this has saved people. My friends son had meningitis once, but the doctor failed to recognise it. She went several times, and said he had a purple rash that did not fade when you put a glass over it. The doctor told her it was only a urine infection and to come back after 2 weeks.

He had a high temperature and began to hallucinate and did not recognise his own brother so she took him to the hospital, where they took him in straight away saying that it was meningitis. He was now in the last stage, but she had managed to bring his temperature down by giving him a cold bath before going to the hospital. Apparantly he might not have survived otherwise.

Therefore, I believe it is good for people to be able yo recognise conditions and know basically what to do and even get second opinions and debate doctors when they mis diagnose
toointofiction
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 512
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-toointofiction.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by toointofiction »

I don't believe education can be disasterous. I think everyone should be educated, even in the slightest, about professional or any other subjects. Any form of education is helpful no matter who receives it.
Laura Britos
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ana-victoria2002.html
Latest Review: The Last Time I Saw Alice by Richard Kirschenbaum

Post by Laura Britos »

Omega_01 wrote: 01 Oct 2021, 11:08 For me, I think it's very useful to educate the general public on professional subjects. However, it's should be on the peripheral and not at a deep level as the author did. For instance, educating the public on emergency and first aid medical procedures that people can undertake before a professional takes over isn't a bad idea as it helps save more lives in a time of emergency and danger.
I agree with you, I think is paramount for people to know what to do in emergencies and try not to panic. However, as you said, it makes not use for someone to know how to perform certain medical procedures in a complex situations only with a very weak or inadequate education. Even if I read and learned how to perform a surgery on someone, that does not give me the necessary knowledge to actually do it.

Return to “Discuss the "Preppers Medical Handbook" by William W Forgey”