Educating common people on professional subjects, is it helpful or is it an asking for a disaster?

Use this forum to discuss the October 2021 Book of the month, " Preppers Medical Handbook" by William W Forgey
Anthonio042
Currently Reading: Sex, Genes and Rock 'n' Roll
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anthonio042.html
Latest Review: "INVASIONS: 'Killing og the Indian'" by Don Diehl

Re: Educating common people on professional subjects, is it helpful or is it an asking for a disaster?

Post by Anthonio042 »

Despite the fact that it is not written by a professional, this book may be useful in a variety of ways. It supplied everything about a case of emergencies, and I'm sure he went through scientific research before establishing objective information on it; additionally, it would save the lives of a diverse range of people. On the one hand, some professionals take a toll to complete their degree and then charge for their service and knowledge which is valid, but this handbook is provided for free.
Christine Joy G 1
Favorite Book: How To Be Successful
Currently Reading: The Date Farm
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christine-joy-g-1.html
Latest Review: Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer's Guide by William H. Coles

Post by Christine Joy G 1 »

The content of the book gives basic knowledge, it cannot be compared to the experience of the professionals. However, that basic knowledge can still be handy in some times but if the situation is complicated, we should rely on the experts and not on google or just a single book.
Brenda Creech
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Mary Pat Ferron Caines
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 356
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brenda-creech.html
Latest Review: Was She Crying for Me? by Jerry Hyde
fav_author_id: 253250

Post by Brenda Creech »

Sushan wrote: 30 Sep 2021, 23:57 Nowadays people tend to google their symptoms and try to diagnose and treat their own selves. But in most occasions this has ended up with disasters and people getting unnecessarily panicked.

Here via this book William W Forgey has tried to educate common people on emergency medical management in a quite deep level. He has tried to make a person able to provide medical care in an emergency situation without any help from the professionals.

Though I agree that having medical knowledge can be useful, this can worsen the scenario by a non-profesional trying to play the hero. What do you think?

A simple example:
In case of possible neck injury, the airway can be opened by lifting the jaw without moving the neck.
(Location 768 - Kindle version)

This is the only mentioning about the important, yet difficult, and has to be practiced and precised, jaw-thrust-maneuver. Trying to apply this with no or inadequate practice will clearly put the victim in more danger.
I would rather know a person had some knowledge of what to do until help arrived over someone trying to provide care with no knowledge at all! Sometimes if you wait for professionals to arrive a patient could die. For example when someone is bleeding a lot. Teaching common people that pressure must be held on such a wound without letting up every few minutes to look at the wound. Most laypeople would do that. Constant pressure must be held until professional help arrives. Or for at least 15 minutes. In other words, sometimes whoever is present with the patient is not going to be able to wait on a professional so if they know 'something' about what to do that is better than if they know nothing, in my opinion.
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Iqra Rafiq 1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-iqra-rafiq-1.html
Latest Review: Heroes of Atlantis by Ryan Carriere

Post by Iqra Rafiq 1 »

Hyacinth Bella wrote: 04 Oct 2021, 07:52 I believe that educating yourself on the basics is a really good thing, and can help people around, but I do hope that no one will act as a hero if they are not a professional in the field because that will make disasters. I also hope that books like this have a simpler way of educating because if a book is filled with jargon common people won't understand, then it will do more harm than good.
I agree with you, educating about basic things like first aid is good but going further in this field is not good as we doctors having so much experience also do mistakes. The book should be written in a much simpler way so that everyone around should be able to understand, no doubt for a medical person the book is five stars but for the layman, the book is a lit bit tough to understand
J_odoyo
Currently Reading: First Family
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-j-odoyo.html
Latest Review: Epicenter by Carrie Hannah

Post by J_odoyo »

I think this book is meant for emergencies. In an emergency situation, it's either you do something and save a life or do nothing and lose it. I think knowledge is better than ignorance and a disaster is a disaster, even doing nothing can be disastrious. This book can help save lives.
The more books you read the more choices you have
– Toni Morrison
Michael Jerry_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michaeljerry309.html
Latest Review: A Big Blue Boat by Susea Spray

Post by Michael Jerry_ »

this crossed my mind while reading this book. as much as I agree that no knowledge is a waste. I don’t think I agree with self-medication. but sometimes having such knowledge can save lives so maybe to some degree education common people on professional subjects helps but in some scenarios it could be hazardous. so maybe it depends on the individual who has the knowledge and what they do with it.
Buk Nerd
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-buk-nerd.html
Latest Review: Ribzkniks by Y M Georges

Post by Buk Nerd »

I believe it is far more helpful than it is disastrous. If it did more harm than good, first aid would not be a thing, and knowledge of first aid has saved far more lives than it has hurt. It's always reassuring to know that you're not totally helpless in case of a medical emergency.
"Literature is the most agreeable way of ignoring life." - Fernando Pessoa :techie-studyinggray:
EternalD
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eternald.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by EternalD »

This is a tricky question to answer. As much as the author has never stated that anyone who reads his book will be able to practice medicine, this type of knowledge gives greater confidence to people who do not have the proper training to carry out actions. Obviously, this depends on the common sense of each one. Still, it is possible to see people who take the initiative or who recommend products/treatments just for hearing about it. That is, without even having the slightest knowledge. I would say knowledge is never inadequate. However, in this case, specifically, I have no assurances to say with certainty that there would be no more disasters than saved people.
Gabriella1997
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gabriella1997.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Gabriella1997 »

Yes this is a lovely hand book that I think everyone must have. It's a must read incase of emergency at least one can have an idea of what to do rather be clueless. I recommend you read it
Gabriella1997
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gabriella1997.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Gabriella1997 »

Mindful Wordsmith wrote: 01 Oct 2021, 15:20 This is a question that I too have in my mind ever since I've been reading this book. I think there are certain procedures that cannot be performed by non-medical professionals. But I think reading this book will create an awareness in the reader's mind about the different useful procedures. That way, a reader, who cannot do certain difficult maneuvers, can at least avoid doing something harmful with the knowledge he/she has gained through this book. This is the approach I've been using to read this book. If I can't do something, at least I know about all the wrong things that I shouldn't be doing.
There are quite a lot of procedures that common people won't be able to do by themselves but I think for the most part there are still some practical things and if you can't still do any of them then at least you know. No knowledge is a waste
jeanmtdb
Favorite Book: Devil Among Us
Currently Reading: The Dragons of Chiroptera
Bookshelf Size: 223
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jeanmtdb.html
Latest Review: Did you know by Ashok Bhaskaran
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by jeanmtdb »

Having information is better than being in the dark when an emergency occurs. Knowing why medical professionals do certain things may alleviate some stress. Also, I believe this book to be written for the people who want to be educated, not for the people who google their symptoms instead of going to a professional.
Jennifer Garcia 555
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Vagabond
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennifer-garcia-555.html
Latest Review: Somebody’s Watching You by Robin D'Amato

Post by Jennifer Garcia 555 »

This book says it is for situations when no professional help is available. In that extreme case, I feel this book could be useful. At least you would have some idea of how to help someone in an emergency when calling 911 isn’t an option.
“Isn’t it nice to think that tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it yet?” — L. M. Montgomery
collinsogw555
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-collinsogw555.html
Latest Review: Bama Boy by Bobby Morrison

Post by collinsogw555 »

Yes, I find this book helpful as I have been able to know some of the steps that should be taken when one is in an emergency before the arrival of an ambulance. I would love to recommend this book to most of my friends who would valve this information.
IamJc_Bembo12
Currently Reading: Pearl River Mansion
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-iamjc-bembo12.html
Latest Review: Bama Boy by Bobby Morrison

Post by IamJc_Bembo12 »

Not all informational assistance that is not furnished by professionals should be regarded as unreliable. In the author's case, despite the fact that he is not a medical professional, he made a concerted effort to share information with the crowd. As a result, the book became more impartial and engaging to read, as it presented a variety of helpful and medical guides for potential emergency scenarios. I would argue that this is yet another call for disaster because it has demonstrated that the information provided was supported by scentific scientific investigations firsthand.
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Post by Gravy »

This is a preppers handbook. This thread is off-topic. I am locking the thread.
Pronouns: She/Her

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.

Return to “Discuss the "Preppers Medical Handbook" by William W Forgey”