Is this book really for the preppers with no professional medical background?

Use this forum to discuss the October 2021 Book of the month, " Preppers Medical Handbook" by William W Forgey
EternalD
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eternald.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Re: Is this book really for the preppers with no professional medical background?

Post by EternalD »

Mindful Wordsmith wrote: 01 Oct 2021, 15:54 When it comes to the non-medical professionals, I think they shouldn't read this book as the final word on the subject. It should be read as an introduction, and like an orientation into the medical emergency world. This book can spark a need for getting some hands-on experience in this field (through campaigns, drills, trainings, etc.). And I think that itself will be a good reason to read this book. But I'll be extremely cautious of using the various advanced procedures/maneuvers.
As for the medical professionals, I think those who have more than enough practical experience already might not benefit from this book as much as a layperson. However, those new to the field will gain some useful insights from reading it.
I couldn't agree more. I don't think this is because the author failed to convey his message, though. In any medical situation, it's very complicated to just stick with theory. However, this book may arouse the reader's thirst for knowledge. And it can also make the learning process easier as you will confront theory with practice, skipping the trial/error step.
marta baglioni
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marta-baglioni.html
Latest Review: Shatter Girl by Shay Miranda

Post by marta baglioni »

If it is not a matter of instant life or death, I don't think that someone who has not a medical background should do something firsthand about the condition they're facing: there are so many variables and you seriously risk causing harm. It is an interesting book, but if you're not a qualified medical professional I would not recommend taking this book as an instruction list.
jeanmtdb
Favorite Book: Devil Among Us
Currently Reading: The Dragons of Chiroptera
Bookshelf Size: 223
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jeanmtdb.html
Latest Review: Did you know by Ashok Bhaskaran
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by jeanmtdb »

I think this book is a valuable resource for medical professionals and laypersons. Having a resource available when there is an emergency can make all the difference. For preppers, campers, hikers, and other people who may be in a situation where there is no medical help, this is the help they will need. People with no medical education would want to get to know the book and read pertinent topics again and again.
IamJc_Bembo12
Currently Reading: Pearl River Mansion
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-iamjc-bembo12.html
Latest Review: Bama Boy by Bobby Morrison

Post by IamJc_Bembo12 »

This book will act as a guide for preppers and those who want to foray into the medical field because it is extremely wealthy in medical data. Students studying in the healthcare profession may benefit from this work because the author provided a large amount of preconceived notions such as the fundamental tenets and basic knowledge that they should learn as they progress. Furthermore, those in the medical field will benefit from this handbook as well, as it will provide them with additional ideas and operations that they can implement on patients. However, they should recall if it was effective and if it helped the patient recover from certain ordeals.
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Post by Gravy »

This is a preppers handbook, meaning someone who is prepping for there not being professionals. I am locking the thread as off topic.
Pronouns: She/Her

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.

Return to “Discuss the "Preppers Medical Handbook" by William W Forgey”