Is this book really for the preppers with no professional medical background?

Use this forum to discuss the October 2021 Book of the month, " Preppers Medical Handbook" by William W Forgey
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: My Wind Therapy
Bookshelf Size: 407
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: My Wind Therapy: Motorcycling Through A History of Child Abuse And Domestic Violence by Queen Five Star
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Is this book really for the preppers with no professional medical background?

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

The author says,
This book provides the basis of prevention, identification, and long-term management of survivable medical conditions and can be performed with minimal training. (Location 647 - Kindle version)
These are some random pickings out of the content of this book; ABCDE emergency management, Shock, Cardio Pulmonary Resuscitation, Otitis Media, Infectious Mononucleosis, Bronchitis, etc.

Many of these things are quite advance medical stuff which is taught to medical personnel, and after many years of training even they struggle to either perform or apply them correctly. So I do not think just a prepper with no medical knowledge will be able to apply what this author teaches in an emergency situation in the field, no matter how much prepping he/she does.

What do you think? Is this book really for the non-medical professionals, or does this better suit to medical professionals as a refresher for their knowledge?
ROSEY-ANN
Favorite Book: Winning the War on Cancer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-roseyann.html
Latest Review: Building A Coaching Culture by Andreas Von Der Heydt

Post by ROSEY-ANN »

I think this book provides beneficial information for the everyone. It provides information that many professionals may find useful. For me it gave insight as to why, when and how many medical procedures are done.
Asma Aisha Ansari
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Favorite Book: Roadside Picnic
Currently Reading: Sapiens
Bookshelf Size: 806
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-asma-aisha-ansari.html
Latest Review: When Black Shoes Turn Red by Tom McKenna
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Asma Aisha Ansari »

When it comes to the non-medical professionals, I think they shouldn't read this book as the final word on the subject. It should be read as an introduction, and like an orientation into the medical emergency world. This book can spark a need for getting some hands-on experience in this field (through campaigns, drills, trainings, etc.). And I think that itself will be a good reason to read this book. But I'll be extremely cautious of using the various advanced procedures/maneuvers.

As for the medical professionals, I think those who have more than enough practical experience already might not benefit from this book as much as a layperson. However, those new to the field will gain some useful insights from reading it.
Imagination is a good servant, and a bad master. - Agatha Christie
Susan Kihleng
Currently Reading: Just Give Me a Soft Place to Land
Bookshelf Size: 273
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-susan-kihleng.html
Latest Review: Elizabeth's Garden by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Susan Kihleng »

I think it's a great handbook to have available whether a medical professional or not. When put into a life-or-death situation with no medical professional available, this is a good resource to revert to. So yes, I feel this book is beneficial for everyone.
Abacus
Favorite Book: Elizabeth's Garden
Currently Reading: Zonas de
Bookshelf Size: 194
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abacus.html
Latest Review: Elizabeth's Garden by Phillip Leighton-Daly
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Post by Abacus »

This book is unique and ambitious and faced with someone having an illness or injury and not having a clue how to help and having this book tell me what should be done, I choose knowledge over ignorance anyday. Would I be likely to perform a successful surgery? I think it highly unlikely but at least I would have a chance.
Francis Aderogbin
Favorite Book: Money Faucet
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 189
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-francis-aderogbin.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Francis Aderogbin »

As for me, the book is more appropriate for a medical personnel as a refresher program. However, I can't remove the fact that a smart person without medical background can carry out the procedures too. The book contain enough information required to prevent and manage SURVIVABLE medical conditions.
regentisbetter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-regentisbetter.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by regentisbetter »

I feel this book aims at providing the most basic training necessary to keep a person alive in a life or death situation. It’s straightforward and step oriented while also easy to follow and it gives those with no knowledge a fighting chance should they ever be in a life or death situation.
Adrian Rondon Salazar
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adrian-rondon-salazar.html
Latest Review: Love and Marriage by Arthur Hartz

Post by Adrian Rondon Salazar »

I agree with you. The author mentions symptoms, signs, and terms that only doctors would use. For example, in Chapter 9: Bioterrorism and Infectious Diseases, the author explains the life cycles and larval stages of parasites, which a non-medical person cannot understand overnight. I would have liked the author to describe what one can observe in a patient more simply.
Adrian Rondon Salazar
Currently Reading:

ROSEYANN wrote: 01 Oct 2021, 09:34 I think this book provides beneficial information for the everyone. It provides information that many professionals may find useful. For me it gave insight as to why, when and how many medical procedures are done.
What you mention is correct, the book provides beneficial information for everyone. The problem is that sometimes the information is difficult to digest. If it is a book for all audiences, the information must be explained in the same way that you would explain to a preschool child. More images, diagrams, comparative tables would have helped a lot.
Adrian Rondon Salazar
Currently Reading:

Mindful Wordsmith wrote: 01 Oct 2021, 15:54 When it comes to the non-medical professionals, I think they shouldn't read this book as the final word on the subject. It should be read as an introduction, and like an orientation into the medical emergency world. This book can spark a need for getting some hands-on experience in this field (through campaigns, drills, trainings, etc.). And I think that itself will be a good reason to read this book. But I'll be extremely cautious of using the various advanced procedures/maneuvers.

As for the medical professionals, I think those who have more than enough practical experience already might not benefit from this book as much as a layperson. However, those new to the field will gain some useful insights from reading it.
I agree. The book is useful as an introduction, in addition to providing a list of topics to consider that you may never imagine in your day-to-day life, such as radiation exposure. If the person begins to be aware and investigate further, perfect.
Suzer6440 xyz
Favorite Book: Pearl River Mansion
Currently Reading: Five Total Strangers
Bookshelf Size: 201
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-suzer6440-xyz.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White

Post by Suzer6440 xyz »

I found this book to be a great resource. It gives advice and a lot of information. Do you think that the book however does indeed also suit non-medical professionals. There are discussions about conditions symptoms and treatments. I found it to be straightforward for one in Doubht.It seem to provide questions to ask the patient, signs of sickness and history
Menace Crypto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nonny2208.html
Latest Review: Pandemic (The U.S. Pandemic in India) by Dieter Gartelmann

Post by Menace Crypto »

I think the book has many background basic medical information that may be useful to the layman, but some of the procedures and terms might be confusing to them as well. As a medical student, I am able to flow with everything but I remember a time when I had no prior medical knowledge and would have struggled to understand them.
Rodel Barnachea
Favorite Author: Lemony Snicket
Currently Reading: The Unfakeable Code®
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rodel-barnachea.html
Latest Review: An Accessible Iliad by Emer Jackson
fav_author_id: 5004

Post by Rodel Barnachea »

Yes, I believe that the book is written with people who have no professional medical background in mind. We can detect this by noticing how the author used simple language and how medical jargons are limited and if used, they are properly explained by the author.

And even with the bit of information you picked out from the title, I still think that the book is meant for non-medical personnel. This is because, in those topics, the author only discusses important and superficial information that people who are suffering from those conditions might want to know.
Rodel Barnachea
Favorite Author: Lemony Snicket
Currently Reading: The Unfakeable Code®
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rodel-barnachea.html
Latest Review: An Accessible Iliad by Emer Jackson
fav_author_id: 5004

Post by Rodel Barnachea »

ROSEYANN wrote: 01 Oct 2021, 09:34 I think this book provides beneficial information for the everyone. It provides information that many professionals may find useful. For me it gave insight as to why, when and how many medical procedures are done.
Well, technically, anyone literate and who has purchased the book can read it. But I agree with you that the information contained in the title is for everyone. Healthcare professionals specialize, so they tend to focus on one sub-field; this might result in them forgetting/having a hard time recalling some basic concepts in other sub-fields (if there are any HCWs reading my comment, please correct me if I am wrong). I believe this book can act as a refresher course for some topics that they failed to remember.
Adrian Rondon Salazar
Currently Reading:

Suekihleng wrote: 01 Oct 2021, 18:13 I think it's a great handbook to have available whether a medical professional or not. When put into a life-or-death situation with no medical professional available, this is a good resource to revert to. So yes, I feel this book is beneficial for everyone.
With no medical professional available all information can be useful; that is the key point of the book. So those without a medical profession are the ones who will appreciate the book the most.

Return to “Discuss the "Preppers Medical Handbook" by William W Forgey”