Is this book really for the preppers with no professional medical background?

Use this forum to discuss the October 2021 Book of the month, " Preppers Medical Handbook" by William W Forgey
Adrian Rondon Salazar
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adrian-rondon-salazar.html
Latest Review: Love and Marriage by Arthur Hartz

Re: Is this book really for the preppers with no professional medical background?

Post by Adrian Rondon Salazar »

Abacus wrote: 01 Oct 2021, 22:13 This book is unique and ambitious and faced with someone having an illness or injury and not having a clue how to help and having this book tell me what should be done, I choose knowledge over ignorance anyday. Would I be likely to perform a successful surgery? I think it highly unlikely but at least I would have a chance.

We must choose knowledge over ignorance always, but choosing information that can be understood without difficulty is important :techie-studyingbrown : . Without a doubt, it is unlikely that we will perform a successful surgery but at least immobilize a fracture :D .
Adrian Rondon Salazar
Currently Reading:

regentisbetter wrote: 02 Oct 2021, 18:18 I feel this book aims at providing the most basic training necessary to keep a person alive in a life or death situation. It’s straightforward and step oriented while also easy to follow and it gives those with no knowledge a fighting chance should they ever be in a life or death situation.
And without a doubt it achieves it, the basic training is imparted. There is a lot of information to use in life and death situations. But there is also information about what to do in situations that do not compromise the life of the patient, but rather a part of his body, such as trauma, in my opinion of equal importance.
Adrian Rondon Salazar
Currently Reading:

Nonny2208 wrote: 02 Oct 2021, 22:29 I think the book has many background basic medical information that may be useful to the layman, but some of the procedures and terms might be confusing to them as well. As a medical student, I am able to flow with everything but I remember a time when I had no prior medical knowledge and would have struggled to understand them.
It is interesting how from your point of view as a medical student, you recognize that some terms can be confusing. The book must be a compliment. During the reading, I tried to read more about the medications mentioned, and it was certainly helpful. The book is excellent as a first reading, and then look for other books to clarify the doubts; luckily the author mentions many, including his previous book.
Adrian Rondon Salazar
Currently Reading:

aaurba wrote: 03 Oct 2021, 00:35 Yes, I believe that the book is written with people who have no professional medical background in mind. We can detect this by noticing how the author used simple language and how medical jargons are limited and if used, they are properly explained by the author.

And even with the bit of information you picked out from the title, I still think that the book is meant for non-medical personnel. This is because, in those topics, the author only discusses important and superficial information that people who are suffering from those conditions might want to know.

Yes, those without a medical profession are the ones to whom this book would be most helpful. But perhaps the doctors receive a lot of training on how to act within a hospital, with all the instruments and clinical methods; then the book can be useful for them if they are in a remote area.
Chetna_Kharbanda
Currently Reading: Unsound
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chetna-123.html
Latest Review: "Are You a N****r or a Doctor?" by Otto E. Stallworth Jr. MD MBA

Post by Chetna_Kharbanda »

The book indeed provided beneficial basics of many healthcare procedures. The information is quite enormous to be assimilated by an unprofessional person and may increase the severity of the situation if inappropriately used out of curiosity or without rational examination of the root cause.
PeterRabitt20
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Verity
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peterrabitt20.html
Latest Review: The Power Of Our Inner Gremlins by Suzanne Daplyn

Post by PeterRabitt20 »

Though I really liked this book and found the information invaluable, as I was reading I did worry that it contains tips (I guess you can call them that, but they aren't really) are for people who have medical experience.

Some of those things the author mentioned, I would be too hesitant to do out in the wilderness. For example, checking for spinal injury or head trauma. I would want to read ahead when there is no emergency. The book is more than just first aid help. But, I think people who have survived in the wilderness might be familiar with what the author is talking about.

Either way, it is still a good book to read.
Lisa A Rayburn
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Fluff Dragon
Bookshelf Size: 267
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisa-a-rayburn.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited
Reading Device: B018QAYM7C

Post by Lisa A Rayburn »

If, and I stress the "if,' the prepper (with no or little medical training) takes the time to read and familiarize themselves with the procedures in the book prior to an emergency, then yes, (then and only then) do I think the book could be helpful to them. I worked in the ER in the army, so I am familiar with some of the procedures discussed. I agree with you that they take knowledge and training to do correctly. If the prepper were trying to read the book 'right then' when someone has been injured or is ill, it might take so long that the person in danger could well die. This is truly a 'preparation' (as in prepper) guide, not something that can be snatched up and used in an emergency.
Books are my self-medication. 8)
Chinaza Nnabuenyi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 117
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinaza-nnabuenyi.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Chinaza Nnabuenyi »

I think the book suit both preppers and professionals. The information here is not only for those in the medical profession who have attained certification. Unprofessionals could still read the content because they are usually available at emergencies.
Tarie07
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tarie07.html
Latest Review: Korian: Ark of the Fallen King by Giorgio Garofalo

Post by Tarie07 »

As much as the book provides helpful information on how to deal with certain health situations, I agree with you that it could turn into a complete disaster. Medical students take years to master the skills to perform these practices and someone with no medical background could easily slip up and put a patient in more danger.
Sharill Rasowo
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Worldlines
Bookshelf Size: 210
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sharill-rasowo.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Sharill Rasowo »

I think it is good as an introductory text. It provides information that people without a medical background may not have come across, so it is a good starting point. However, secondary research is needed to understand some terms and procedures.
Humera955
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Fourth Kinetic
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-humera955.html
Latest Review: Smart Love by Vincent Fudge II
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Humera955 »

:no-spoil: I don't think this book is for the preepers with no medical background, yes you can definitely add to your knowledge but please go to a doctor when in emergency
:tiphat:
Jasmine Smith 1
Currently Reading: Rhythm of War
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jasmine-smith-1.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Post by Jasmine Smith 1 »

Kelyn wrote: 04 Oct 2021, 00:29 If, and I stress the "if,' the prepper (with no or little medical training) takes the time to read and familiarize themselves with the procedures in the book prior to an emergency, then yes, (then and only then) do I think the book could be helpful to them. I worked in the ER in the army, so I am familiar with some of the procedures discussed. I agree with you that they take knowledge and training to do correctly. If the prepper were trying to read the book 'right then' when someone has been injured or is ill, it might take so long that the person in danger could well die. This is truly a 'preparation' (as in prepper) guide, not something that can be snatched up and used in an emergency.
I agree with you that the stress here is really on preparing in advance. Reading through the book and trying to get in some (even simulated) experience, before having to deal with a medical emergency completely on one's own, is ideal. Especially if that person has zero training. Something may be better than having nothing in this situation (I would definitely think it useful to pick up and carry this book in a no-grid world if I found it laying around), but I'm not sure that applies here. After reading the book it seems a lot of these circumstances require quick, decisive actions that wouldn't be possible to achieve while referencing a book. Based on my own reading, through the inexperienced eyes of the average joe, and the comments I've read so far, this book seems to hold all the information one would need to get by in most situations. Even a layman could understand and use this book to their own benefit. Again, as long as they took the time to study it beforehand.
Anthonio042
Currently Reading: Sex, Genes and Rock 'n' Roll
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anthonio042.html
Latest Review: "INVASIONS: 'Killing og the Indian'" by Don Diehl

Post by Anthonio042 »

Yes, potentially, this is a must-read for preppers and will serve as a rudimentary blueprint prior to the actual deal with the health industry. Those working in the field may also gain from this work prior to actually reawakening and adding up their preconceived notions about the procedures and conceptual frameworks outlined by the author. Whether you are a professional or not, this book may be very useful in certain situations, and the attempt and idea of integrating everything should not be overlooked.
J_odoyo
Currently Reading: First Family
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-j-odoyo.html
Latest Review: Epicenter by Carrie Hannah

Post by J_odoyo »

I think non-medical professionals will also benefit from this book; the book is written in a simple language that a layperson will easily understand. The author also gives symptoms of those survivable medical conditions. Therefore, I would say that this book is for both laypersons and fresher medical professionals.
The more books you read the more choices you have
– Toni Morrison
John Owen
Currently Reading: Baggage
Bookshelf Size: 151
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-john-owen.html
Latest Review: Rivers of the Black Moon by Andrew Goliszek
2024 Reading Goal: 52
2024 Goal Completion: 115%

Post by John Owen »

No, I don't think so. It is only those who don't wanna learn that will such a mentality that "the book is too technical to read." If you wanna learn, you. Take myself for example, I do a degree in English and Literature in the university, but I've learnt programming and web development, and I'm comfortable with several languages like Java, C, C+, C# among others.
Harmony in chaos. It's all a matter of perspective.

Return to “Discuss the "Preppers Medical Handbook" by William W Forgey”