Do words actually carry a big impact?

Use this forum to discuss the October 2021 Book of the month, " Preppers Medical Handbook" by William W Forgey
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: My Wind Therapy
Bookshelf Size: 407
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: My Wind Therapy: Motorcycling Through A History of Child Abuse And Domestic Violence by Queen Five Star
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Do words actually carry a big impact?

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

Watch your spoken and body language. Reassure without patronizing, and let nothing that you say or do cause him increased distress.
(Location 944 - Kindle version)

The author says to be careful about what you say when you manage a patient, despite his/her actual condition. Causing panic in the patient can be a disadvantage, I agree, but at the same time I think it is important for the patient to know the truth.

What do you think? Should we keep the patient blind just to avoid him/her getting panicked, or should we reveal the truth no matter how hard it is? Do words have an actual impact on the outcome of the patient?
Alexandur Gicov
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alexandur-gicov.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller

Post by Alexandur Gicov »

That is quite eloquent, as it is correct from both points of view. The truth can always help, even if it is difficult, but on the other hand, in some cases, it can harm a person. Sometimes our inner desire to know is much stronger than us, even if it is better not to know. In my opinion, for some patients, you have to do your best and tell them the hard truth. Every coin has two sides, and one is always right but from a different point of view.
ROSEY-ANN
Favorite Book: Winning the War on Cancer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-roseyann.html
Latest Review: Building A Coaching Culture by Andreas Von Der Heydt

Post by ROSEY-ANN »

I think this is sound advice. At some point medically trained persons update patients on their status. If this is information that may cause panic, alarm , worry etc. then being reassuring is important. Yes persons react to information differently so it is possible to be more straightforward with some persons and yet be tactful with both verbal communication and body language.
Ngozi Onyibor
Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Sugar & Spice
Currently Reading: The Wizard of Fire
Bookshelf Size: 174
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ngozi-onyibor.html
Latest Review: Devine Enquiries by Martin Hull

Post by Ngozi Onyibor »

I don't think it's necessary to lie to a patient just to make them feel good. But it's not always about what you say, but how you say it. 'You have six months to live.' and 'Survival chances are not high.' convey the same message in different tones.
Humera955
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Fourth Kinetic
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-humera955.html
Latest Review: Smart Love by Vincent Fudge II
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Humera955 »

:no-spoil: It is absolutely important for the patient to know the truth, but at the same time, it should be presented in the kindest manner.
it is also true that what you speak during an emergency creates an impact on the prognosis of the patient, so words should be chosen wisely.
:tiphat:
Ailakhu Yusau Aizhebiomon
Currently Reading: Purges of the Soul
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ailakhu-yusau-aizhebiomon.html
Latest Review: Advanced Lotto Rotation System by Joseph Z Vlasic

Post by Ailakhu Yusau Aizhebiomon »

I agree with the author on this. When managing a patient, telling them the whole truth about their health condition and state may do more harm than good because not everybody can actually bear the agony of a deterioting health
condition especially when they're faced with terminal ailment. The news may end up killing the patient before the ailment did. However, they should be aware of their possibilities and chances of being exposed or infected with such ailment and the measures to prevent or manage it. Most importantly, family members of such patient should be thoroughly informed about their love ones health state and how they can assist them manage their condition.
ROSEY-ANN
Favorite Book: Winning the War on Cancer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-roseyann.html
Latest Review: Building A Coaching Culture by Andreas Von Der Heydt

Post by ROSEY-ANN »

With regards to telling the truth about a person's health status absolutely the updates must be factual. As this forms the basis for further decision making. However where relating this immediately can lead to the immediate demise of a person in shock then being reassuring is equally as important.
Jasy95
Favorite Book: To Sleep in a Sea of Stars
Currently Reading: Circe
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jasy95.html
Latest Review: The Data Collectors by Danielle Palli

Post by Jasy95 »

Honestly I think the way that you talk to a patient can have a significant impact on how they take the news that you are giving them. There's obviously a lot of potential for having to give bad news if you work in the medical field, but if you talk to a patient in a way that affects them significantly on a mental and emotional level, their physical health can be impacted as well. I would NEVER advocate for lying to a patient or withholding information about their condition. But you definitely need to be careful with your word choice and your approach in giving the news. It's a tricky balance to follow.
Asma Aisha Ansari
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Favorite Book: Roadside Picnic
Currently Reading: Sapiens
Bookshelf Size: 806
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-asma-aisha-ansari.html
Latest Review: When Black Shoes Turn Red by Tom McKenna
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Asma Aisha Ansari »

The timing of when you tell the truth is important in such situations. When a patient is in a delicate or critical condition, it's best to hide some details. I think I'll appreciate it if someone first helped me, treated me, and then told me the truth. And yes. Words do have an actual impact. Not only during medical situations but at any moment. Negative, demotivating and overly critical words can spoil a person's mood. In the same way, use of carefully chosen encouraging words during medical emergencies can help a person (the patient) remain calmer.
Imagination is a good servant, and a bad master. - Agatha Christie
Hhannahh
Currently Reading: The Smartest Person in the Room
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hhannahh.html
Latest Review: The Whaler's Daughter by Jerry Mikorenda

Post by Hhannahh »

Have you heard the story of the frog who made it to the top of a tower because he was deaf? If you have, it'll give you a clear insight as to why words matter.
You do not tell a person who's already freaking out that they're not gonna make it; it'll only worsen their situation.
I'm of the opinion that the bad news be reserved for the less critical time, unless it is inevitable.
SweetSourSalty AndSpicy
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 234
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sweetsoursalty-andspicy.html
Latest Review: The Past Speaks by Geoff McCue

Post by SweetSourSalty AndSpicy »

I think we neither keep the patient blind about the scenario nor give false hopes. We tell the situation and the possible options as they are. That is why it helps to be informed and prepared. We can make assessments and explore possible solutions objectively. Then, deliver them in the calmest way possible. For example, there may be tough decisions to make. It could be choosing between saving a vital organ or a limb to extend life. We have to inform the patient and get consent. Likewise, we can also get helpful information from the patient by being truthful. There might be a medical history or pre-existing conditions for consideration.
Elisa Joy Ocasla
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elisa-joy-ocasla.html
Latest Review: Speech! by Simon Prentis

Post by Elisa Joy Ocasla »

Despite the fact that it can be excruciating, telling the whole truth is the right approach. It makes the patients keenly aware and prepared while also giving them time to do the course of the most recent thing they want to do in their lives. It can, however, be executed and asserted meticulously and with fine sonority. Words are indeed powerful, and despite the terrible news, we don't want to afflict a detrimental effect on their mental health. To conclude, I concur with telling the truth.
Francis Aderogbin
Favorite Book: Money Faucet
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 189
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-francis-aderogbin.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Francis Aderogbin »

No doubt. It is necessary for a patient to know the truth about their condition. However, manner of delivering this message will determine whether it will cause distress or not.
Salah bourouba
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Jane Austen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 137
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-salah-bourouba.html
Latest Review: Surviving the Business of Healthcare by Barbara Galutia Regis PA-C
fav_author_id: 2379

Post by Salah bourouba »

Sushan wrote: 01 Oct 2021, 00:06
Watch your spoken and body language. Reassure without patronizing, and let nothing that you say or do cause him increased distress.
(Location 944 - Kindle version)

The author says to be careful about what you say when you manage a patient, despite his/her actual condition. Causing panic in the patient can be a disadvantage, I agree, but at the same time I think it is important for the patient to know the truth.

What do you think? Should we keep the patient blind just to avoid him/her getting panicked, or should we reveal the truth no matter how hard it is? Do words have an actual impact on the outcome of the patient?
I have experience in this first hand, so I am very sure when I say words have the greatest impact, they can save or kill a person both mentally and eventually physical, the medical system in our country is trash, the doctors have no respect for patients, and they act like they own the place when they actually even though they have the medical education they don't act like it. i am not saying to keep the patients blind but you have to know how to speak with them and master how to relay bad news and good news to avoid the patients breaking down and loosing help or getting more scared that could actually worse his condition, and you need to make sure of what your saying 1000% before saying it.
Recite in the name of your Lord who created [*] Created man from a clinging substance [*] Recite, and your Lord is the most Generous [*] Who taught by the pen [*] Taught man that which he knew not.
The Quran. Surah Al Alaq
Rovika Sundaram
Currently Reading: There's a Rooster in My Bathroom!
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rovika-sundaram.html
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Rovika Sundaram »

I think it is essential for the patient to know the truth but it should be made know to him/her in such a way that it wouldn't panick him leading to a worse health condition
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann

Return to “Discuss the "Preppers Medical Handbook" by William W Forgey”