Should John have been honest about his amnesia?

Use this forum to discuss the November 2021 Book of the month, "The Freedom Building" by Martin Kendall
Daniel-Davis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-daniel-davis.html
Latest Review: Grant's Wish by T.S. Pollard

Re: Should John have been honest about his amnesia?

Post by Daniel-Davis »

I think it was okay for John to keep the amnesia a secret. Three years flashed by and he couldn't remember anything -- he could get taken by a scam that everyone else was already aware of, like opening scam text messages from [your phone company] is bad.

But seriously, not telling people your most personal medical issues is normal. Lots of people keep disastrous medical issues to themselves, even if opening up about it could help.
Wesley Friday
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wesley-friday.html
Latest Review: Bar Maid by Daniel Roberts

Post by Wesley Friday »

Hyacinth Bella wrote: 01 Nov 2021, 08:18 I agree that he should have told someone, but then again, how does a person with amnesia know they're suffering from amnesia? How do they identify that they're suffering from it and how do they diagnose themselves with it? That confuses me still because a normal person suffering from amnesia would ask questions and therefore doctors would be able to help them. That's my takeaway.
I think such a person will not recall any previous memories. Imagine waking up one morning and not remembering all you've been doing for the past few years, perhaps even your own bed room in which you woke up. At least, you would know that something is amiss with your memory and I think that's a good enough place to start a self diagnosis from. Plus waking up in a hospital, probably surrounded by beeping support machines such be enough communication of one's state.
Wesley Friday
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wesley-friday.html
Latest Review: Bar Maid by Daniel Roberts

Post by Wesley Friday »

I believe John should have come clean with his state of mind to those around him. It would have made his recovery and interaction with his surroundings easier. However, others would make the point that his decision to keep it a secret was necessary to drive the plot and an otherwise boring story would have been the outcome if he had opened up. While agreeing that conflict is necessary for the plot, I think the plot could have also taken a much more interesting route even if John had decided to reveal the secret. It should depend on the author's creativity. For instance, if John had revealed his amnesia, he could have exposed himself to people who would want to take advantage of him. Subsequently in the story, he could regain his memories and then try to have his revenge on those who sought to take advantage of him. This would have made for an equally interesting plot.
Oye Timothy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oye-timothy.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Oye Timothy »

I think it was because John was fighting for his interest. His well-being and mental health. He might hide from others not to hurt them.
Barbie_sidhu
Currently Reading: Strong heart
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-barbie-sidhu.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Barbie_sidhu »

In reality, any sane person in this situation would have been honest about this. But its a fictional thriller. And the part where the protagonist kept the amnesia hidden gave way to the whole story. It is what makes it a psychological thriller. I cannot imagine any better version of the story if the plot was otherwise than what it is originally.
Asfiya Z
Currently Reading: 30th Century: Escape (First Edition)
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-asfiya-z.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Asfiya Z »

It is only fair to talk about honesty if he had known he had amnesia. Was he aware that he was diagnosed with amnesia?
Purplesturv
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-purplesturv.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Post by Purplesturv »

Maybe he should have been open to the people around him but then again they might have taken advantage of his situation. Also if he was honest about it, we wouldn't have had the amazing fiction thriller we read.
Kaushiki Parihar
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaushiki-parihar.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Kaushiki Parihar »

John should have been honest about his memory condition. In my opinion he could have told atleast one person about his amnesia. Since he hide the fact, he did struggled a lot and the novel was turned out the way it was.
Menace Crypto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nonny2208.html
Latest Review: Pandemic (The U.S. Pandemic in India) by Dieter Gartelmann

Post by Menace Crypto »

In my opinion, John should have been honest about his amnesia. I can understand if he doesn't tell anyone as first as he maybe scared and confused but lying about it long-term just doesn't have any positive effect. So, it seems irrational to keep such a thing a secret.
Raluca_Mihaila
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: The Master and Margarita
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

I think it's not about a good or a poor decision. It was his decision, and he suffered the consequences. However, telling the truth is sometimes a difficult thing, especially when we are talking about such a personal and subjective matter.
Guda Lydia
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-guda-lydia.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Guda Lydia »

I still wonder how a person with amnesia knows they have amnesia and have the right mind to hide it. However, I understand John keeping his predicament a secret contributes to the plot. It is how it was supposed to unfold and with all the stresses that came with his amnesia.
Halimat Thanni1
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-halimat-thanni1.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Halimat Thanni1 »

Honesty is always the best thing. So yes, I believe that he should have been honest about his amnesia.

But if he had, be rest assured that the plot of this book would have been very different from what it is if he had been honest about that
ellaiela
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellaiela.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by ellaiela »

I think John's amnesia and his being secretive about it is the author's way of keeping the story exciting and showing us what kind of character John has to keep the story going. I'm happy that the author put it that way; otherwise, I don't know if the book could be more interesting other than it already is.
"It's the possibility of having a dream come true that makes life interesting."
-The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho
kirthana_shivakumar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kirthana-shivakumar.html
Latest Review: Depiction of women characters as Victims of Oppresion and Agents of action in selected short stories by Rushika Gill

Post by kirthana_shivakumar »

I do believe that he should have known someone if he knew for sure, but that was the whole problem wasn't it? It's hard to know if you have lost some memories.
Rodel Barnachea
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Lemony Snicket
Currently Reading: The Unfakeable Code®
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rodel-barnachea.html
Latest Review: An Accessible Iliad by Emer Jackson
fav_author_id: 5004

Post by Rodel Barnachea »

Hyacinth Bella wrote: 01 Nov 2021, 08:18 I agree that he should have told someone, but then again, how does a person with amnesia know they're suffering from amnesia? How do they identify that they're suffering from it and how do they diagnose themselves with it? That confuses me still because a normal person suffering from amnesia would ask questions and therefore doctors would be able to help them. That's my takeaway.
Umm, I'm not sure if I'm understanding you, but I do think that people who are suffering from amnesia would know that they have memory lapses. But yeah, people who have amnesia would have a lot of questions, just like when John was confused about the date of the present.

Return to “Discuss "The Freedom Building" by Martin Kendall”