Overall rating and opinion of "The Freedom Building" by Martin Kendall

Use this forum to discuss the November 2021 Book of the month, "The Freedom Building" by Martin Kendall
Roy Nick
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 323
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-roy-nick.html
Latest Review: East of Troost by Ellen Barker

Re: Overall rating and opinion of "The Freedom Building" by Martin Kendall

Post by Roy Nick »

Daniel Lindell wrote: 01 Nov 2021, 22:56 I really enjoyed the simple effective world building. In the very first paragraph, we know that he lives betwixt two major cities, Toxon and Blanworth and that he will be traveling to both cities regularly. Wow, all the geography is explained on one page. I love world building and that was succinct!
Not only was the world building well executed but also the suspense that came with the story!
Tori_J
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tori-j.html
Latest Review: Aprende ABC con los animales de Puerto Rico by Yeseira Caro

Post by Tori_J »

This book is definitely worth a read, it is engaging. Slow at times but very interesting other times. I find this book worth my time, the psycological aspect is just enough to keep me riveted to my chair. I recommend it to anyone interest in fiction generally, you'd probably love it.
Arunima Halder
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-arunima-halder.html
Latest Review: Fast Starting a Career of Consequence: Workbook by Fred Sievert

Post by Arunima Halder »

This book has a beautiful storyline, enigmatic characters and an engrossing pace. This is a thriller in the true sense of the term. We get confused, frightened, enthusiastic and sad. This psychological thriller is the best book I've read this year. It deals with human emotions at its core, while maintaining its mystery element. I would definitely rate it a 4 out of 4 stars.
Naila Saleem 2
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-naila-saleem-2.html
Latest Review: Strange Stories II by Roger Mannon
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Naila Saleem 2 »

I think it's a 4 star worthy book. It's a psychological thriller with many instances where darkness threatened to blur reality. It evokes fear in a reader when the protagonist loses his grip on his life and many of his achievements slips through his fingers like sand.
Chiwelite O
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chiwelite-o.html
Latest Review: The Water Bear by Groucho Jones

Post by Chiwelite O »

This is definitely a must read for anyone. Especially those who enjoy psychological thrillers. That being said, I found Johns character both intriguing and confusing, also I felt the story ending with a cliffhanger wasn't the best option. But it's still an amazing book. I would rate it 3 out of 4 stars.
Laurina Michael Olowoniran
Currently Reading: Be the Change: The Future is in Your Hands
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laurina-olowo.html
Latest Review: Mister Pushkin Sees The Light by AC Michael

Post by Laurina Michael Olowoniran »

The book was a definite page-turner. It is literally hooking. The author did a fantastic job in keeping the reader engrossed and guessing with reeling surprises. It's a 4 star for me.
Adelee Grobler
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adelee-grobler.html
Latest Review: Hemiphos by Stefanie Jacob
Reading Device: B0979KD57W

Post by Adelee Grobler »

I love that it’s a psychological thriller and has the mystery of what’s “really” the truth. I have a family member that has schizophrenia, and it’s scary to think that it’s quite impossible to tell such a person that something they perceive as reality is not the truth. I haven’t done a review for this book yet but I would give it a 4 out of 4 stars.
Valerie Garske
Currently Reading: the girl who know Davanci
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-valerie-garske.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Valerie Garske »

I find that my opinion is quite different from others. This is an obscure novel with too many unanswered questions, I think it was the lack of powerfully descriptive writing and the lack of details I typically need to appreciate the story. For example, the author said they had sex instead of describing making love. Also, I did not like that the author used “[date]” to set the time period and that he used actual gibberish when describing how John’s vision distorts when he tries reading details pertinent to the new building. I found this technique to be distracting. Although this book had such potential, in the end, I was unimpressed and disappointed. Consequently, I rate this book 2 out of 4 stars.
ciecheesemeister
Favorite Author: Jude Austin
Currently Reading: Homer, A Constant Companion.
Bookshelf Size: 724
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ciecheesemeister.html
Latest Review: Wild World by Peter S. Rush
fav_author_id: 165843

Post by ciecheesemeister »

I gave it three stars. The story was engaging but there was too much repetition of established information. I felt that the writing could have been a bit more concise.
Neshboy Aburi
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: The Great Migration
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-neshboy-aburi.html
Latest Review: Darksoul by L. Brooks

Post by Neshboy Aburi »

First, this book is edited very profesionally and it is devoid of errors. That was the first thing that cought my eye. Second, I found that the characters fit very well in their roles. I respect to the main character, John, I don't thing there could be any better way to construction his persona and nature. Third, this book tells a very entertaining and also engaging story. It is until the last staged that the reader gets a clear picture of the whole plot that the story is based on. This shows how engaging the story was. And, lastly, I think this book deserves any other rating other than a four stars. This is my opinion based on the above mentioned reasons.
Latest Review: Darksoul by L. Brooks
Abdul Na-eem M
Currently Reading: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by Abdul Na-eem M »

That’s very interesting to read considering that, the book has an intriguing plot, with many unexpected and surprise twists. It’s really enjoyable reading it. I will give it a five star rating. I love how the story ended because it ended with a cliff hanger. However, the pace does slow down at many points in the story, especially in the beginning. Martin's writing style is very appropriate for a psychological thriller. It does suit anyone reading it on the psychological point of view and mind. Thank you
Marlene Venter
Favorite Book: The Complete Sherlock Holmes
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marlene-venter.html
Latest Review: The Biblical Clock by Daniel Friedmann and Dania Sheldon

Post by Marlene Venter »

The Freedom Building by Martin Kendall was although psycological, not so much a thriller, to me. Although the book sparks curiosity and a desire to unravel the plot, the book's focus is on the psycological well-being of the main character, John Gowan, and describes much of his mental state and emotions. The pace was somewhat slow at times, but the suspense of finding out the truth makes up for it. I cannot comment on the religion side of the story as my knowledge of it is inadequate.

I gave the book 4 out of 4 stars. It is written in an easy-to-read narrative and provides entertainment as well as insight.
Goodness C N
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-goodness-c-n.html
Latest Review: Love Yourself & Lose Weight: The Success Story of Self Love by Katie Lips

Post by Goodness C N »

Psychological thrillers are not exactly my thing. However, how Kendall held this together took me off my feet. The mind-blowing twists and turns particularly thrilled me. I will always give this book a perfect rating!
Miracle Chidera 1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miracle-chidera-1.html
Latest Review: Can I Be Frank? by Rob Wyatt

Post by Miracle Chidera 1 »

A psychological thriller!! I'm yet to read this masterpieceans I cannot withstand the temptation of a thriller. It doesn't hurt that there are so many positive reviews about this book.
katerina_12
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katerina-12.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White

Post by katerina_12 »

I love psychological thrillers. There is always something hidden in them and its recognition depends on the reader. I think Johnny's Amnesia was also a defense mechanism that helped Johnny subconsciously to cope with constant immersion. This is evidenced by the fact that the main character decided to hide amnesia. People who really suffer from amnesia, I do not think so skillfully hid it. John's subconscious believed in amnesia though in reality the brain was not damaged. The book can be perceived in many ways, this is the essence of fiction. Eventually, I liked the book however I have read many better novels on a similar topic.

Return to “Discuss "The Freedom Building" by Martin Kendall”