Did you guess right regarding the cause of the Zenith Star explosion?

Use this forum to discuss the November 2021 Book of the month, "The Freedom Building" by Martin Kendall
Rodel Barnachea
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Lemony Snicket
Currently Reading: The Unfakeable Code®
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rodel-barnachea.html
Latest Review: An Accessible Iliad by Emer Jackson
fav_author_id: 5004

Re: Did you guess right regarding the cause of the Zenith Star explosion?

Post by Rodel Barnachea »

Kpolkey44 wrote: 02 Nov 2021, 11:55 I didn't even guess. I figured it would come out during the story.
Well, you're right. We immediately learned that the explosion was, indeed, is a terrorist attack. The author did not make the Zenith Star explosion the "exact" center of the story since the focus was really on John and his amnesia.
Rodel Barnachea

Wesley Friday wrote: 02 Nov 2021, 19:43 Guessing what caused the explosion might not have been on top of a reader's priority list at the beginning of the novel. However, considering the themes discussed in the novel, like freedom of speech and other political aspects, it only makes sense for the reader to eventually discover that the cause of the incident was a terrorist attack.
That's a really good explanation/observation. I agree that many readers would probably just continue reading and only think about the cause of the explosion only if it becomes one of the novel's central mysteries. However, I want to say that the only reason why I even asked this question is that I like taking notes while reading and pausing from time to time to think.
Rodel Barnachea

Oye Timothy wrote: 03 Nov 2021, 06:02 Definitely I knew terrorists were behind the blast. Who would have thought blew up a building as huge as the Zenith star building if not terrorists?
Wow, I didn't even think of this before. The most probable reason behind the explosion of such a prestigious building is terrorists, especially given the fact that the U.S.A. meddles with other countries and has made many enemies, especially terrorists.
NancyDrew12
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nancydrew12.html
Latest Review: The Tooth Fairy Makes A Mistake by Great-Aunt Rita

Post by NancyDrew12 »

I cannot say that a terrorist attack was my first thought. But I wasn't really concerned with trying to figure it out on my own. I was too busy trying to figure out what actually happened and where everything was leading.
Gift_Ibeh
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by Gift_Ibeh »

One would have to read through to know cause sincerely, my guess was as wrong as wrong itself.
Rodel Barnachea

ellaiela wrote: 03 Nov 2021, 22:15 Indeed, there are many possibilities of why buildings can collapse anytime, so I honestly did not associate my first suspicion with a terrorist attack since the author did not provide much information about it. I thought it might have something to do with how the Zenith building has undergone the planning, designing, and construction process phase since, well, the main character is an architect.
What you've mentioned is interesting. Since the main character is an architect, it would be relevant that a building will be destroyed and that the cause of the destruction is poor planning/architectural design.
Blossy20
Currently Reading: Understanding the business of health care
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-blossy20.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Blossy20 »

My guess was so wrong!! I thought the explosion was caused by negligence or accident. I was pleasantly surprised to find out that it was a terrorist attack.
Prarthna
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 100
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prarthna.html
Latest Review: The Farmer by Sam Braidwood

Post by Prarthna »

I did not try to guess what caused the explosion. But I wouldn't say that I was surprised when I found out that that blast was done by terrorists.
Rodel Barnachea

Prarthna wrote: 07 Nov 2021, 09:57 I did not try to guess what caused the explosion. But I wouldn't say that I was surprised when I found out that that blast was done by terrorists.
Well, we hold the same thoughts while we were reading the first few chapters. I want to add that I was not surprised to learn of the explosion as a terrorist act because terrorism is not exactly new per se and being able to blow up such a prestigious, high-value infrastructure is definitely something terrorists would want to do.
Michael Jerry_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michaeljerry309.html
Latest Review: A Big Blue Boat by Susea Spray

Post by Michael Jerry_ »

i watch a lot of movies so i actually guessed it would turn out this way but i didn’t actually dwell on it for that long because i was also expecting some kinda weird twist about the collapse of the zenith
Hhannahh
Currently Reading: The Smartest Person in the Room
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hhannahh.html
Latest Review: The Whaler's Daughter by Jerry Mikorenda

Post by Hhannahh »

The revelation of the cause of the explosion came not quite long after the explosion itself, so there wasn't time to ponder on cause of the election. Besides, I could guess that it was the work of terrorists because the OBC review made mention of such.
Tim_writes
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tim-writes.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Tim_writes »

At first, when I read the incidence, I thought it was terrorists. I mean, such cases are only carried out by them, both in fiction and non-fiction. But, reading further, I realized the truth.
Rodel Barnachea

Hhannahh wrote: 08 Nov 2021, 02:18 The revelation of the cause of the explosion came not quite long after the explosion itself, so there wasn't time to ponder on cause of the election. Besides, I could guess that it was the work of terrorists because the OBC review made mention of such.
Haha, good point! I honestly have made some kind of a big deal out of the Zenith Star explosion given the fact that the cause was revealed around Chapter 2 or 3. But yeah, I guess the question only really applies to readers who have read the book but have not yet read the official OnlineBookClub review.
Ruchi Raina
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruchi-raina.html
Latest Review: House of Ashes by Margaret Blythe

Post by Ruchi Raina »

The details about the explosion that caused the Zenith Star building to collapse were not that elaborate. It needed to have a few tit-bits for us to have guessed that it was terrorism-related.
Pearl Hijabi
Favorite Author: H M Irwing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 163
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pearl-hijabi.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler
fav_author_id: 1986

Post by Pearl Hijabi »

Honestly I didn't guess any cause as to why the zenith star explosion happened. Because I like the 'on edge' feeling while reading books of this genre.

Return to “Discuss "The Freedom Building" by Martin Kendall”