Should John have been honest about his amnesia?

Use this forum to discuss the November 2021 Book of the month, "The Freedom Building" by Martin Kendall
Andreea Rata
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-andreea-rata.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Re: Should John have been honest about his amnesia?

Post by Andreea Rata »

I think that he should've been honest from the start if he knew that he isn't amnesic. I'm a little bit confused tho,
how he knew that he isn't ammesic? The doctots told him before? Anyway, i think that this fact helped him a little in the rest of the novel.
Abi1
Currently Reading: A Kingdom's Cost
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abi1.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base
Reading Device: B01KLMX1KM

Post by Abi1 »

I think John should have been honest and open about his health condition. He need not tell everyone he engages with in his day-to-day activities, but at least his closest family members and friends should know. It may not have resulted in him not having to go through the experiences he went through, however, it would have provided him with a stronger support system around him as those closest to him can provide him with the support he may have needed when struggling the experiences he went through. A support system that is not just physical, but a more holistic form of support for John to at least know that he's not struggling through the journey alone.
Ify-babe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ify-babe.html
Latest Review: The Spiritual Game of Golf . . . and of life by Gerald Collier Davis

Post by Ify-babe »

I feel he would have been honest about the amnesia as that would have saved him a lot of trouble. Honestly is always the best policy, no matter how difficult it may seem. Well, this tun was needed for the development of the book.
Azuka_05
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-azuka-05.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Azuka_05 »

He would have definitely avoided the troubles he went through, if he had spoken up much earlier. There would have bwen ways to help him, and avoid more ugly situations.
Kim Jek
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kim-jek.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by Kim Jek »

In real life I think it might be more difficult to hide amnesia especially from family. However, John's amnesia is central to the entire story and it made for a great story.
Firuzeyy
Currently Reading: Think & Grow Rich
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-firuzeyy.html
Latest Review: Why Can't Johnny Just Quit? by Kyle Oh
Reading Device: B00BWYQ9YE

Post by Firuzeyy »

Everything happens for a reason. If he had good reasons to tell, then he would choose to tell if he recognized his own condition, that is. But at some point , if he noticed that he was suffering from amnesia, then he should have chosen to tell regardless of the good reasons he had in his mind.
Firuzeyy
Currently Reading: Think & Grow Rich
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-firuzeyy.html
Latest Review: Why Can't Johnny Just Quit? by Kyle Oh
Reading Device: B00BWYQ9YE

Post by Firuzeyy »

And I am curious about one thing if you had been in his place , what would be your choice?
Aisha Yakub
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aisha-yakub.html
Latest Review: A New War by Alexander Farah

Post by Aisha Yakub »

I'm wondering how he knows he has amnesia and decides to hide it. He shouldn't be able to lie and go undetected, realistically. But I think it was justified
Adeyemi6
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by Adeyemi6 »

I believe John should have disclosed his mental disorder, but it is a private matter. Whatever the situation, it's still up to John to speak the truth or not. However, the novel would not be as triggering as it was previously.
bello jamiu5
Currently Reading: A Dream For Peace
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bello-jamiu5.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White

Post by bello jamiu5 »

I really don't bother whether John should have been honest about his amnesia or not, but if I had been considerate with him, it is kind of hard to admit if one was in John's situation.
Precious Amarachi Nzeakor
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 97
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-precious-amarachi-nzeakor.html
Latest Review: Words of Wisdom: INSPIRING QUOTES for Everyone by Sharef Flounoy

Post by Precious Amarachi Nzeakor »

How did John know he had amnesia?, If he was aware that there were events he had experienced that he couldn't recall, then does that still pass as amnesia?. However as far as the plot goes, keeping this discovery secret and thus the experiences after was a way of building a thrill packed plot. Since this is fiction and I'm not here to empathize with anyone, I say it was good he kept it to himself
aconcaguanana22
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aconcaguanana22.html
Latest Review: Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature by Chet Shupe

Post by aconcaguanana22 »

How many people will open up on a medical condition to anyone other than a medical doctor ? He is not to blame. I think those around him were not discerning enough to catch on to it.
Amiczy Heaven
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 93
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amiczy-heaven.html
Latest Review: Living the Beatitudes by Gary L. Engstrom

Post by Amiczy Heaven »

Honesty is always great, no doubt, but sometimes it is better to keep somethings to yourself. Telling people about something as serious as amnesia can be scary. His amnesia could have been exploited, and the story would have taken a different turn. So yeah, I guess keeping it to himself made sense.
Marisol Mendez
Currently Reading: Milk and Honey
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marisol-mendez.html
Latest Review: Wandering Feelings by Boyko Ovcharov

Post by Marisol Mendez »

I think that in reality he should have been honest. When we’re talking in consideration of the book I think his dishonesty led to a much more interesting plot!
Kuchi Mercy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kuchi-mercy.html
Latest Review: Building A Coaching Culture by Andreas Von Der Heydt

Post by Kuchi Mercy »

There could have been at least one person he could confide his memory condition to. Since this wasn't the case, the flow of events where inevitable.

Return to “Discuss "The Freedom Building" by Martin Kendall”