Should John have been honest about his amnesia?

Use this forum to discuss the November 2021 Book of the month, "The Freedom Building" by Martin Kendall
Rodel Barnachea
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Lemony Snicket
Currently Reading: The Unfakeable Code®
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rodel-barnachea.html
Latest Review: An Accessible Iliad by Emer Jackson
fav_author_id: 5004

Should John have been honest about his amnesia?

Post by Rodel Barnachea »

After John awoke in a hospital and realized he's suffering from amnesia, he kept it to himself and did not tell anyone about his memory condition. Do you think that if John had been more honest and did not attempt to hide his amnesia, he wouldn't have had to experience what he underwent throughout the rest of the novel?
Hyacinth Bella
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hyacinth-bella.html
Latest Review: The Magician's Secret by Charles Townsend

Post by Hyacinth Bella »

I agree that he should have told someone, but then again, how does a person with amnesia know they're suffering from amnesia? How do they identify that they're suffering from it and how do they diagnose themselves with it? That confuses me still because a normal person suffering from amnesia would ask questions and therefore doctors would be able to help them. That's my takeaway.
Kirsi Cultrera
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Then Comes The Flood
Bookshelf Size: 196
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kirsi-cultrera.html
Latest Review: Remembering Stardust by C. D. Baker

Post by Kirsi Cultrera »

Well, of course he should have been honest. It would have saved him from lots of trouble. But then, on the other hand, as it is a very important element in this whole story, this book would look a whole lot different if he had been honest. In that sense, I am happy that he was not honest! Because this is an exciting, enjoyable read!
Kirsi
Official Reviewer Representative
Salah bourouba
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Jane Austen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 137
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-salah-bourouba.html
Latest Review: Surviving the Business of Healthcare by Barbara Galutia Regis PA-C
fav_author_id: 2379

Post by Salah bourouba »

I think that that was necessary for the development of the story, and even it wasn't, his condition is a private matter, I think nobody has the right to question him about it as long as it doesn't interfere with his work and relationships with other people, and especially if he's aware of that and the consequences of it, that means he will take responsibility for what happens to him because of it.
Recite in the name of your Lord who created [*] Created man from a clinging substance [*] Recite, and your Lord is the most Generous [*] Who taught by the pen [*] Taught man that which he knew not.
The Quran. Surah Al Alaq
John Owen
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Baggage
Bookshelf Size: 151
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-john-owen.html
Latest Review: Rivers of the Black Moon by Andrew Goliszek
2024 Reading Goal: 52
2024 Goal Completion: 115%

Post by John Owen »

Such a serious mental problem as Amnesia shouldn't be something to hide. It is perhaps because he had good reasons to keep things out of the light.
Harmony in chaos. It's all a matter of perspective.
Ivvie Ivanova
Favorite Author: Matthew Tysz
Currently Reading: Beyond Dreams
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ivvie-ivanova.html
Latest Review: Idiom Attack Vol. 1 Everyday Living (Spanish Edition) by Peter Liptak
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 50532

Post by Ivvie Ivanova »

I think communication would have prevented many hardships and a lot of inner turmoil. I've noticed patients with amnesia usually keep to themselves in novels and movies. I don't know about real life. John should have been more open but I also understand how hard it can be to open up. It made his character more real, in my eyes.
Nathaniel Owolabi
Favorite Book: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nathaniel-owolabi.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Nathaniel Owolabi »

Well, generally people are not always open to sharing such issues. It is a personal one. I think he was in the right by not sharing this, however, I agree that sharing it would have helped shape his experiences differently. Nevertheless, we don't know if that's for the better or for the worse. His decision seems valid to me.
britcott30
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: Hello, My Love
Currently Reading: The Overdue Life of Amy Byler
Bookshelf Size: 76
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-britcott30.html
Latest Review: All Body Bags and No Knickers by Shawe Ruckus

Post by britcott30 »

Yes, definitely. But of course, the plot and twists of the novel will be changed too. It would be more attractive and engaging when John kept the amnesia to himself, so we as readers can be irritated by his decision from the beginning.
brooke oakes
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brooke-oakes.html
Latest Review: The Intelligence Factor by Erik Fisher

Post by brooke oakes »

I think most people would be open and honest about if they can’t remember things. Everyone handles stuff like this differently though. He may have just been creating more problems for himself by not letting others know. The story may have went a different way if he did.
Kingsley Emodi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kingsley-emodi.html
Latest Review: Randy the Irresistible by S M Goodier

Post by Kingsley Emodi »

Aside from the fact that such condition isn't one a person will very comfortably share with others, the story would have taken a whole different boring turn if he had been honest about his condition. For the sake of an interesting plot, I'd rather he keeps it a secret, just like he did.
Susan Gibbs
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-susan-gibbs.html
Latest Review: Play Golf Better Faster: From Weekend Golfer to Pro Golfer in Two Years by Kalliope Barlis

Post by Susan Gibbs »

I think that if this was real life, John should have admitted his amnesia, so that others could help him. He would experience less stress that way. But if he had admitted it, the story would not have been possible.
Fola Moni
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 165
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fola-moni.html
Latest Review: Moonlight Serenade by Terry Mark

Post by Fola Moni »

Honesty is always the best policy, in my opinion. Having said that, it is always a personal decision to divulge one's health status to others. Also, the entire plot would have been boring if he had revealed his condition. The complexity and twists of the story made his decision very worthwhile, at least to us the readers.
Chimdiya A
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chimdiya-a.html
Latest Review: Who Told You That You Were Naked? by William Combs

Post by Chimdiya A »

Never has lies helped anyone, usually has a negative effect. And to think John lied about something as big and serious as amnesia? Honesty would have prevented a lot at the same time helped him in recovering.
Ekezie1998
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 91
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ekezie1998.html
Latest Review: life lessons of wayne by shawn wayne swearingen

Post by Ekezie1998 »

I do believe that things would have turned out differently if he had been honest about his memory loss and condition. He definitely would have been shown more empathy and understanding, and I do believe that as humans we tend to connect better with others when they are most open with us.
Katherine Powell-Polkey
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katherine-powell-polkey.html
Latest Review: A Spiritual Dog: "Bear" by J. Wesley Porter
Reading Device: 1400501466

Post by Katherine Powell-Polkey »

Personally, I always think honesty is the best policy except in rare occasions. It definitely would have helped him avoid some struggles. It also could have caused other issues.

Return to “Discuss "The Freedom Building" by Martin Kendall”