THE PARADOX OF THE CHARACTER'S RESOLVE TO KEEP THINGS UNDERCOVER- WHAT DO YOU THINK MAKES HIM TO?

Use this forum to discuss the November 2021 Book of the month, "The Freedom Building" by Martin Kendall
Zaw Hein
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zaw-hein.html
Latest Review: The Different Kinds Of Monsters by Seth Chambers

Re: THE PARADOX OF THE CHARACTER'S RESOLVE TO KEEP THINGS UNDERCOVER- WHAT DO YOU THINK MAKES HIM TO?

Post by Zaw Hein »

I presume he was traumatized of what happened and after whole lot of suffering,John just want some peace and quiet.Maybe,he is shying away from the incoming loads of responsiblities but I prefer the thought that he merely wants some leeway since that'd make it more presentable in my opinion.
NancyDrew12
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nancydrew12.html
Latest Review: The Tooth Fairy Makes A Mistake by Great-Aunt Rita

Post by NancyDrew12 »

I think that John did remember something from the past 3 years. Even if it was only the slightest detail. But what he remembered scared him enough to keep quiet about it. But I also think the responsibility of the building scared him because to him everything was so sudden. In his mind those 3 years never happened. So he never spent that time learning and tending to the building and doing so now was intimidating to him.
Gift_Ibeh
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by Gift_Ibeh »

Amnesia could come with a lot of things. When the knowledge of what you used to know and live for disappears, leaving only shadows, I'm not quite sure the drive will be there, and fear is definitely going to set in.
Tim_writes
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tim-writes.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Tim_writes »

He is just trying to hide the truth to protect himself and others around him. He knows the risks behind this and I think he did the right thing trying to hide the truth.
Bradley Shelvie
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Vagabond
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bradley-shelvie.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Bradley Shelvie »

Fear- the fear of the unknown, possibly the fact that he couldn't remember anything save for some blurred bits.
Do the things you love and you'll love the things you do :techie-studyingbrown:
Bradley Shelvie
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Vagabond
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bradley-shelvie.html

Post by Bradley Shelvie »

Daniel Lindell wrote: 02 Nov 2021, 16:23 I think it's like Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) that something triggered a lot of hurt and you are not going to relive that hurt. He can't remember and with a hit in the head, he might not think with common sense. Instead of just looking into it, reading it in a book, asking somebody to tell you the story about it, he hides from it. He gets away from it completely. He comes to without any memory and just the images of that building -- something bad must have happened there and I am not going anywhere near that.
I think this too was a major cause. It may be too difficult to handle the trauma of a near-death occurrence as an explosion, and being that he was also majorly involved, he could easily be a target to those who destroyed it. It, therefore, makes a lot of sense if he chooses to stay low-key.
Do the things you love and you'll love the things you do :techie-studyingbrown:
Samantha Brehm
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samantha-brehm.html
Latest Review: The Electric Oath by Aaron Cole Williams

Post by Samantha Brehm »

I don't feel like he is afraid of the responsibility. I think he genuinely wants his grand dreams and plans to come to fruition and is afraid that if people knew he had amnesia then they would doubt his abilities and his designs. I think that he has bigger mental health issues to worry about as well and that contributed to him keeping his amnesia to himself.
ASEKings4056
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by ASEKings4056 »

I believe that he kept things the way he chose to because he was scared of what things could really mean and the responsibilities that he may have had to face should the 'truth' be known
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: People we meet on vacation
Bookshelf Size: 2398
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

Daniel Lindell wrote: 02 Nov 2021, 16:23 I think it's like Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) that something triggered a lot of hurt and you are not going to relive that hurt. He can't remember and with a hit in the head, he might not think with common sense. Instead of just looking into it, reading it in a book, asking somebody to tell you the story about it, he hides from it. He gets away from it completely. He comes to without any memory and just the images of that building -- something bad must have happened there and I am not going anywhere near that.
Exactly. Dissociative amnesia is a symptom of PTSD. Your brain unplugs because it can't cope with so much.
Rosemary Owolabi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-owolabi.html

Post by Rosemary Owolabi »

I think he hides the truth because he has a better script he rather follows in his head and he takes risky decisions along the way seizing every opportunity to reach his objective not to lose the building like he lost his memory just to stay relevant.
Losing the building signifies that he has lost it all, he lost some years of not doing anything, when the chance comes he grabs it tightly, and the lies might be his truth
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 2084
Bookshelf Size: 1015
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Zona II by Fred G. Baker
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

I really don’t think that he remembers anything and is just trying to keep the general public and those he is working for from finding out how deep his amnesia goes. However, I also think that he would be entirely justified in trying to avoid the responsibility that comes from designing something that the public has decided represents something that he is not comfortable with.
Elena Nechita
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elena-nechita.html
Latest Review: Zara Hanson & The Mystery of the Painted Symbol by J.L. Haynes

Post by Elena Nechita »

I do believe he does have amnesia, and his brain just shut off because he wants to forget his failures. He is just trying to keep appearnces now.
J Edwards
Favorite Book: Kalayla
Currently Reading: Global Business in the Age of Transformation
Bookshelf Size: 95
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-j-edwards.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by J Edwards »

I think he sees himself as a better person when he is the one who is identified as the architect of the magnificent building. That is why he is willing to pull all stops to push this charade to its end. When you look at all the risks he takes to maintain this secret, you see that this issue is at a subconscious personal level.
:character-bart:
“We don’t receive wisdom; we must discover it for ourselves after a journey that no one can take for us or spare us.”

French novelist Marcel Proust.
19blueofficial
Favorite Book: Kalayla
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-19blueofficial.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by 19blueofficial »

I think that John is afraid and not because he remembers anything. He is afraid of what it might mean.
Laurina Michael Olowoniran
Currently Reading: Be the Change: The Future is in Your Hands
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laurina-olowo.html
Latest Review: Mister Pushkin Sees The Light by AC Michael

Post by Laurina Michael Olowoniran »

I think he knows something that keeps him running away from the truth. No one wants to keep going back to the source if their past hurts.

Return to “Discuss "The Freedom Building" by Martin Kendall”