THE PARADOX OF THE CHARACTER'S RESOLVE TO KEEP THINGS UNDERCOVER- WHAT DO YOU THINK MAKES HIM TO?

Use this forum to discuss the November 2021 Book of the month, "The Freedom Building" by Martin Kendall
John Owen
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Baggage
Bookshelf Size: 151
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-john-owen.html
Latest Review: Rivers of the Black Moon by Andrew Goliszek
2024 Reading Goal: 52
2024 Goal Completion: 115%

THE PARADOX OF THE CHARACTER'S RESOLVE TO KEEP THINGS UNDERCOVER- WHAT DO YOU THINK MAKES HIM TO?

Post by John Owen »

Well, we know that the character underwent a comma for three and a half years. However, he wakes up only to find himself in an hospital, with an unfinished business with the Zenith building that he remembers not so much about. Everyone, however, thinks that he is the original architect of the building. John, however, is determined to keep things under the water.
Do you think the resolve is because he knows some truth about the past, or because he knows nothing, or is afraid of the responsibility ahead of him? Are there perhaps more reasons?
Harmony in chaos. It's all a matter of perspective.
brooke oakes
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brooke-oakes.html
Latest Review: The Intelligence Factor by Erik Fisher

Post by brooke oakes »

I think he’s afraid of what it could mean. There might be certain responsibilities that he must take care of. There may be some ownership that he doesn’t want to have over certain things.
Daniel-Davis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-daniel-davis.html
Latest Review: Grant's Wish by T.S. Pollard

Post by Daniel-Davis »

I think it's like Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) that something triggered a lot of hurt and you are not going to relive that hurt. He can't remember and with a hit in the head, he might not think with common sense. Instead of just looking into it, reading it in a book, asking somebody to tell you the story about it, he hides from it. He gets away from it completely. He comes to without any memory and just the images of that building -- something bad must have happened there and I am not going anywhere near that.
Wesley Friday
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wesley-friday.html
Latest Review: Bar Maid by Daniel Roberts

Post by Wesley Friday »

John has been dreaming of designing big buildings. Maybe he saw it as his big opportunity to grab. But that would beg the question as to whether someone suffering amnesia could still possess motivation (from prior to the onset of amnesia) for things they do after they are affected by amnesia?
Whatever the answer may be, I think John is afraid of going back to who he was after receiving such supposed recognition. He most likely fears going back to the small, insignificant architect he was.
Oye Timothy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oye-timothy.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Oye Timothy »

I think he's only trying to protect the truth. Because if everyone knows about the truth, it might affect the relationship and legacy of his works.
Rodel Barnachea
Favorite Author: Lemony Snicket
Currently Reading: The Unfakeable Code®
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rodel-barnachea.html
Latest Review: An Accessible Iliad by Emer Jackson
fav_author_id: 5004

Post by Rodel Barnachea »

I mean, the reason why John got into a vehicular accident is because of his dream of being the architect to plan the new building. If I were John, I'd also do the same thing: I would keep things undercover and pretend that I know everything since this is my dream, and I want to fulfill it.
Choky
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-choky.html
Latest Review: My life uncensored by Cristina Caymares

Post by Choky »

Keeping things undercover is the better choice before he understands what is going on. He might be protecting something. Besides anyone would be afraid to lose a big position like the one he has.
John Owen

Post by John Owen »

brooke oakes wrote: 01 Nov 2021, 21:59 I think he’s afraid of what it could mean. There might be certain responsibilities that he must take care of. There may be some ownership that he doesn’t want to have over certain things.
Certainly... and some responsibilities may be too demanding at times, you know?
John Owen

Post by John Owen »

Daniel Lindell wrote: 02 Nov 2021, 16:23 I think it's like Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) that something triggered a lot of hurt and you are not going to relive that hurt. He can't remember and with a hit in the head, he might not think with common sense. Instead of just looking into it, reading it in a book, asking somebody to tell you the story about it, he hides from it. He gets away from it completely. He comes to without any memory and just the images of that building -- something bad must have happened there and I am not going anywhere near that.
Well, something bad really did happen. Initially, there was an explosion at the Zenith when John went to investigate about it. Perhaps something that someone persistently runs away from is really bad, and that only points that there's something John must be knowing.
John Owen

Post by John Owen »

Daniel Lindell wrote: 02 Nov 2021, 16:23 I think it's like Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) that something triggered a lot of hurt and you are not going to relive that hurt. He can't remember and with a hit in the head, he might not think with common sense. Instead of just looking into it, reading it in a book, asking somebody to tell you the story about it, he hides from it. He gets away from it completely. He comes to without any memory and just the images of that building -- something bad must have happened there and I am not going anywhere near that.
Well, something bad really did happen. Initially, there was an explosion at the Zenith when John went to investigate about it. Perhaps something that someone persistently runs away from is really bad, and that only points that there's something John must be knowing.
John Owen

Post by John Owen »

Wesley Friday wrote: 02 Nov 2021, 19:35 John has been dreaming of designing big buildings. Maybe he saw it as his big opportunity to grab. But that would beg the question as to whether someone suffering amnesia could still possess motivation (from prior to the onset of amnesia) for things they do after they are affected by amnesia?
Whatever the answer may be, I think John is afraid of going back to who he was after receiving such supposed recognition. He most likely fears going back to the small, insignificant architect he was.
Hm... This is quite an interesting perspective to take.
John Owen

Post by John Owen »

Oye Timothy wrote: 03 Nov 2021, 06:06 I think he's only trying to protect the truth. Because if everyone knows about the truth, it might affect the relationship and legacy of his works.
Yeah yeah,, this is a possibility, too.
John Owen

Post by John Owen »

aaurba wrote: 04 Nov 2021, 00:34 I mean, the reason why John got into a vehicular accident is because of his dream of being the architect to plan the new building. If I were John, I'd also do the same thing: I would keep things undercover and pretend that I know everything since this is my dream, and I want to fulfill it.
Oh, so the silence is driven more by the desire to be 'the only one?' It's like he doesn't want people to know there is another original archetect.
John Owen

Post by John Owen »

Choky wrote: 04 Nov 2021, 07:32 Keeping things undercover is the better choice before he understands what is going on. He might be protecting something. Besides anyone would be afraid to lose a big position like the one he has.
Yes, especially protecting something. But I rather would see it as "protecting himself from something."
Katherine Powell-Polkey
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katherine-powell-polkey.html
Latest Review: A Spiritual Dog: "Bear" by J. Wesley Porter
Reading Device: 1400501466

Post by Katherine Powell-Polkey »

I completely agree. This is exactly what I was going to say. I think he developed Disassociative Amnesia.

Return to “Discuss "The Freedom Building" by Martin Kendall”