What do you think caused John to believe that he will be the architect of the next building?

Use this forum to discuss the November 2021 Book of the month, "The Freedom Building" by Martin Kendall
Aan Granados
Currently Reading: Massacre Rocks
Bookshelf Size: 873
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aan-granados.html
Latest Review: The Vanished by Pejay Bradley

Re: What do you think caused John to believe that he will be the architect of the next building?

Post by Aan Granados »

I think because it was his dream and he wanted to manifest and be ready that is why he started measuring and designing. I don't think there is any other reason.
Joe Candle
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joe-candle.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Joe Candle »

I think that John was just desperate to achieve his goals in life. I think deep inside he knew that the probability of him becoming the next architect of that building was low, but he just wanted it desperately.
J Edwards
Favorite Book: Kalayla
Currently Reading: Global Business in the Age of Transformation
Bookshelf Size: 95
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-j-edwards.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by J Edwards »

I think in he subconsciously wanted so badly to be the architect but the fact that it was a bigger project than his stature didn't stop him from living his subconscious dream, and that is why he a availed himself to the site.
:character-bart:
“We don’t receive wisdom; we must discover it for ourselves after a journey that no one can take for us or spare us.”

French novelist Marcel Proust.
Uchechukwu Okereke
Currently Reading: The Aftermath Of The King
Bookshelf Size: 42

Post by Uchechukwu Okereke »

I do not think John believed he would be the architect of the replacement building. I think he just let himself get carried away. He probably thought, "Yeah, I might not get it, but wouldn't it be so nice if I did because I stayed ready? It could do this and this and this for me..." and went on a rampage in his head on how it would help improve his self esteem and maybe right a few of his failed wrongs. But, I can say one thing for certain though, being drunk did not help his case, at all.
Tori_J
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tori-j.html
Latest Review: Aprende ABC con los animales de Puerto Rico by Yeseira Caro

Post by Tori_J »

Well, man can dream and John is very susceptible to that characteristic too. I do see it turning out well for him though. He is a dreamer and he has shown that he is willing to do what it takes, perhaps there might also be a touch of crazy involved in the decision, but I am not sure about that.
Arunima Halder
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-arunima-halder.html
Latest Review: Fast Starting a Career of Consequence: Workbook by Fred Sievert

Post by Arunima Halder »

Sometimes people need to believe in a fictional world to escape reality. John had been a failure several times. His earnest desire to do something notable carried him to this world, where he could be someone who is venerated. He knew the way to this world was Blanworth. So, he went there.
Chiwelite O
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chiwelite-o.html
Latest Review: The Water Bear by Groucho Jones

Post by Chiwelite O »

I think it comes down to the passion and belief he had that he'd be the architect for the new building. Desperation? I'm not quite sure I will call it this.
Laurina Michael Olowoniran
Currently Reading: Be the Change: The Future is in Your Hands
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laurina-olowo.html
Latest Review: Mister Pushkin Sees The Light by AC Michael

Post by Laurina Michael Olowoniran »

Well, I think there's a way you would be consumed with the desire for something that pursuing it may make you look insane. This is what happened to John. This is not to say his mental state should not be checked.
Neshboy Aburi
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: The Great Migration
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-neshboy-aburi.html
Latest Review: Darksoul by L. Brooks

Post by Neshboy Aburi »

When you consider that John did the opposite of his self proclaimed position, that he wat not able and fit to do the building because of his stature as an architect, and then he went ahead to visit the site and do measurements just before the accident, it all points to an Irresistible drive that occupied his subconsciousness. To me, he so desperately wanted to do the design, that he went ahead to the site despite his inadequacies.
Latest Review: Darksoul by L. Brooks
Brett Linette
Favorite Author: Edgar Allan Poe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brett-linette.html
Latest Review: ACED. by Shea Rose
fav_author_id: 4642

Post by Brett Linette »

You have to wonder how much he cared about his life to begin with, if he was willing to risk it for something so out of his league.
Latest Review: ACED. by Shea Rose
Abi McCoy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abi-mccoy.html
Latest Review: The Scrolls of the Bonefairy Castle by David Spiegel

Post by Abi McCoy »

I think that John doing this set up the rest of his story that centered around deciding whether or not he was delusional. He got drunk and went to the building site because he decided he needed to be the architect for the new construction. This in turn set up for the rest of the work when readers were uncertain whether he actually designed the plans or he was merely delusional.
Mercy119
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fireside119.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Mercy119 »

I liked John's proactiveness in measuring out the site for the new building. I, however, think that his desperation crowned by mental health issues misled him to jump the gun. I think that working on buildings with less controversy would be instrumental in building John's career and self-esteem.
Jimmy Irvin
Currently Reading: Vagabond
Bookshelf Size: 63
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jimmy-irvin.html
Latest Review: Nemesis Horizon Project by Eric Stephen Booth-Driver-Robinson

Post by Jimmy Irvin »

It was kind of crazy to me that John would go to Blame worth not to help look for survivors or help in anyway. All he cared about what trying to scope out new building sites and think of ways he could get to rebuild the Zenith building. This reminded me of the terrorist attack on 9/11
Inge van Tonder
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice
Bookshelf Size: 63
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inge-van-tonder.html
Latest Review: E M P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Inge van Tonder »

I could be desperation that drives the passion for him thinking he will be the next architect of the building, but I am sensing him to be a bit egocentric as well. I get the sense throughout the book that he is very selfish and mostly just thinks about himself. People like that have very big egos and think they can own the world, which gives them courage to face the world head-on.
Jolaade Idowu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-deborah363.html
Latest Review: Randy the Irresistible by S M Goodier

Post by Jolaade Idowu »

It was passion. He wanted to be the person to design the new building so bad, he got the job. As they say, "a positive mindset leads to positive results".

Return to “Discuss "The Freedom Building" by Martin Kendall”