What do you think caused John to believe that he will be the architect of the next building?

Use this forum to discuss the November 2021 Book of the month, "The Freedom Building" by Martin Kendall
Rodel Barnachea
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Lemony Snicket
Currently Reading: The Unfakeable Code®
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rodel-barnachea.html
Latest Review: An Accessible Iliad by Emer Jackson
fav_author_id: 5004

What do you think caused John to believe that he will be the architect of the next building?

Post by Rodel Barnachea »

It seemed really weird that John would go all the way down to Blanworth just to take measurements of the land where the Zenith building used to stand because John knew and said himself that he is not a well-known architect and would probably not even consider planning the new building. However, he still persisted to come down to Blanworth even though he is drunk and would most likely be in a vehicular accident due to his inebriation.

What do you think caused John to believe that he will be the architect of the next building? Could it be a sign of a deeper mental health issue? Or is it just plain desperation caused by the protagonist's ego?
Daniel-Davis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-daniel-davis.html
Latest Review: Grant's Wish by T.S. Pollard

Post by Daniel-Davis »

In the first chapter, his secretary knew that any talk about the attack was only going to be about the structure and architecture of the building itself. I think he is simply very passionate about architecture and wanted to create a bid. So, what the heck, it's a dream project. He went out and did a site survey. It would be like entering a raffle for a chance to win -- why not put in an entry?
ellaiela
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellaiela.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by ellaiela »

I think it is John's desperation to achieve his dreams that he went there and conducted a site survey as if envisioning himself as the leading architect of the project in rebuilding the Zenith. Maybe he sees it as a kind of redemption from the bondage of being called a failure. That is why no matter how crazy he might look, he went ahead and did it anyway.
"It's the possibility of having a dream come true that makes life interesting."
-The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho
Stephen Ikimi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephen-ikimi.html
Latest Review: Happiness is All We Want! by Ashutosh Mishra

Post by Stephen Ikimi »

John had viewed himself as the future architect and designer in rebuilding the building. Therefore,with his increased zeal for his visions he went there and conducted a site survey. No matter how perilous it seems,nothing came on his way. He went on and did it anyway. That possibility of a dream coming true makes his life more interesting.
Rodel Barnachea

Daniel Lindell wrote: 01 Nov 2021, 22:51 In the first chapter, his secretary knew that any talk about the attack was only going to be about the structure and architecture of the building itself. I think he is simply very passionate about architecture and wanted to create a bid. So, what the heck, it's a dream project. He went out and did a site survey. It would be like entering a raffle for a chance to win -- why not put in an entry?
Oh yeah, I reckon if I were John, and I am also extremely passionate about my job, I'd probably also do the same thing, no matter how stupidly dangerous it is.
Rodel Barnachea

ellaiela wrote: 03 Nov 2021, 22:49 I think it is John's desperation to achieve his dreams that he went there and conducted a site survey as if envisioning himself as the leading architect of the project in rebuilding the Zenith. Maybe he sees it as a kind of redemption from the bondage of being called a failure. That is why no matter how crazy he might look, he went ahead and did it anyway.
Yeah, I agree that it is more believable and realistic for the author to portray John as a desperate architect given his emotional background. I think that if I were John, I would probably do the same thing. You know, there's nothing wrong in dreaming high.
Choky
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-choky.html
Latest Review: My life uncensored by Cristina Caymares

Post by Choky »

Every underdog has a dream that others don't think he or she has the potential to achieve it. I believe that John wanted to build that building no matter what. So he went to Blanworth.
Susan Gibbs
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-susan-gibbs.html
Latest Review: Play Golf Better Faster: From Weekend Golfer to Pro Golfer in Two Years by Kalliope Barlis

Post by Susan Gibbs »

John seems ambitious and desperate to do better and achieve his dreams. Could his amnesia, either real or not and a possible escalating mental state, as well as the fact he took measurement of the site, make him see himself as the future architect.
Kibabcock
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibabcock.html
Latest Review: House of Dads by June Gillam

Post by Kibabcock »

It could be said that if you want something to happen bad enough, think positive and it will happen. John wanted to take on the development of the new building so he dreamed it happening. He went to the site to take the measurements so he could prepare for his dreams to come true. He was desperate for this dream to come true so he was willing to do whatever it took.
Purplesturv
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-purplesturv.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Post by Purplesturv »

Going to measure the site might have been a means of self-validation for John. He had failed so much in the past, designing the new Zenith building would have been an avenue to redeem himself
NancyDrew12
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nancydrew12.html
Latest Review: The Tooth Fairy Makes A Mistake by Great-Aunt Rita

Post by NancyDrew12 »

I think John does suffer from deep mental issues. But I also think he was so certain because he really wanted to believe he could do it. At the beginning of the story John comes off as very ambitious. So I think all he really wanted to do was leave his unique mark and prove himself as a great architect. And because of this he hyped himself up immensely.
Amaka Ike
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amaka-ike.html
Latest Review: The Frights of Fiji by Sunayna Prasad

Post by Amaka Ike »

John is a dreamer and he has vision. He has always dreamed of constructing such a building because he loves what he does and he is very good at it, confidence isn't lacking in him, and he has always put out his best to show his ability.
Gift_Ibeh
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by Gift_Ibeh »

I feel like it was in pursuit for him to actualise his dream. I'll use passion in place of desperation.
Rodel Barnachea

Choky wrote: 04 Nov 2021, 07:40 Every underdog has a dream that others don't think he or she has the potential to achieve it. I believe that John wanted to build that building no matter what. So he went to Blanworth.
Yes, underdogs, being what they are, definitely have dreams that they themselves don't think they can reach. I like how you cited that as the reason why John continued to drive to the site despite his drunkenness putting him in danger.
Rodel Barnachea

Susan Gibbs wrote: 04 Nov 2021, 09:45 John seems ambitious and desperate to do better and achieve his dreams. Could his amnesia, either real or not and a possible escalating mental state, as well as the fact he took measurement of the site, make him see himself as the future architect.
I realized that a person who is not in her proper frame of mind could do anything they want no matter how dangerous it is. I believe the same thing happened with John. It is also probable that his "insane" act is what keeps him busy and "sane".

Return to “Discuss "The Freedom Building" by Martin Kendall”