What do you think caused John to believe that he will be the architect of the next building?

Use this forum to discuss the November 2021 Book of the month, "The Freedom Building" by Martin Kendall
Rodel Barnachea
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Lemony Snicket
Currently Reading: The Unfakeable Code®
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rodel-barnachea.html
Latest Review: An Accessible Iliad by Emer Jackson
fav_author_id: 5004

Re: What do you think caused John to believe that he will be the architect of the next building?

Post by Rodel Barnachea »

Kibabcock wrote: 04 Nov 2021, 20:18 It could be said that if you want something to happen bad enough, think positive and it will happen. John wanted to take on the development of the new building so he dreamed it happening. He went to the site to take the measurements so he could prepare for his dreams to come true. He was desperate for this dream to come true so he was willing to do whatever it took.
I like how you brought positive thinking into play. I believe John's act of going to Blanworth despite being drunk clearly shows how he really wants to manifest him being the architect to design the next building.
Rodel Barnachea
Favorite Author: Lemony Snicket
Currently Reading: The Unfakeable Code®
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rodel-barnachea.html
Latest Review: An Accessible Iliad by Emer Jackson
fav_author_id: 5004

Post by Rodel Barnachea »

Purplesturv wrote: 05 Nov 2021, 03:29 Going to measure the site might have been a means of self-validation for John. He had failed so much in the past, designing the new Zenith building would have been an avenue to redeem himself
Yes, John is so desperate to prove to himself and others that he is not a failure. That is why he still drove to Blanworth despite being inebriated. A project so big would definitely look good on the protagonist's CV.
Hhannahh
Currently Reading: The Smartest Person in the Room
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hhannahh.html
Latest Review: The Whaler's Daughter by Jerry Mikorenda

Post by Hhannahh »

Everyone is allowed to dream, and that's what John did. Only that this time, he took a step further, the dream came to reality in the craziest of ways.
So I don't think John "believed" he would be the architect of the new building; he only wished and dreamed.
Tim_writes
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tim-writes.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Tim_writes »

It is just plain desperation for one to achieve one's goal. When you are trying to achieve your goals with obstacles, you will go to any length to do that. People might even think you are not mentally stable when they see you doing that. That was the case of John.
Bradley Shelvie
Currently Reading: Vagabond
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bradley-shelvie.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Bradley Shelvie »

His obsession with the building probably gives him away. I believe that even after memory loss, the mind do always preserve the most important things, and in this case, is John's obsession with the Zenith.
Do the things you love and you'll love the things you do :techie-studyingbrown:
Samantha Brehm
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samantha-brehm.html
Latest Review: The Electric Oath by Aaron Cole Williams

Post by Samantha Brehm »

John was so consumed with being something more and better in his life that he didn't see it as dangerous to go immediately to the building. He wanted to prove he could create something worthy for his ideal world. I think underlying mental health issues probably were a root cause of this type of thinking, but I do believe that he felt he needed to go there immediately.
Ailakhu Yusau Aizhebiomon
Currently Reading: Purges of the Soul
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ailakhu-yusau-aizhebiomon.html
Latest Review: Advanced Lotto Rotation System by Joseph Z Vlasic

Post by Ailakhu Yusau Aizhebiomon »

I think it's an aspiration and ambition backed with action. He sees the dream and pushes to achieve it irrespective of the limitation and obstacles ahead. Hence, I do not see it as being desperate.
brooke oakes
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brooke-oakes.html
Latest Review: The Intelligence Factor by Erik Fisher

Post by brooke oakes »

People will do a lot of things in desperation. Maybe he thought that he could change the future, or just prove that he could achieve what he wants. The actual act of doing it gave him some sense of control I think.
Mydustybooks
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mydustybooks.html
Latest Review: Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer's Guide by William H. Coles

Post by Mydustybooks »

See this is what's confusing and why this book is so cool. Because all options are possible, and I like that the author left it a little ambiguous.
ASEKings4056
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by ASEKings4056 »

I think that he went there out of desperation. Failure has pretty much become his second name and I think that doing what he did have him a taste of the dream that he has always had.
jeanmtdb
Favorite Book: Devil Among Us
Currently Reading: The Dragons of Chiroptera
Bookshelf Size: 223
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jeanmtdb.html
Latest Review: Did you know by Ashok Bhaskaran
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by jeanmtdb »

John may have always dreamed of being the best architect. When the Zenith building collapsed, he may have had a "Walter Mitty" moment coupled with a little alcohol.
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Time Before Time
Bookshelf Size: 1015
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: All the Targets by Noah Bond

Post by Amy Luman »

I think that John was just very confident in his own abilities. He wanted to be ready for what he knew was the inevitable result of submitting his design. Mr. Gowan, as I see it, had no way of knowing that he would never be able to see his own design.
Rosemary Owolabi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-owolabi.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Rosemary Owolabi »

I think John's innermost desire is to be a successful architect, he wants to prove everyone wrong and himself right.
It is a good, bold, and uncertain step to go take measurements of the land, as he does.
I'm sure he has inner conviction in himself and that is what is driving him.
Whether his mental state has anything to do with it, is debatable but it shows nothing should stand in your path to greatness, not even your ego.
Elena Nechita
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elena-nechita.html
Latest Review: Zara Hanson & The Mystery of the Painted Symbol by J.L. Haynes

Post by Elena Nechita »

I definitely think his mental state wasn't right. Yes, he is ambitious, but going there drunk is dangerous and he shouldn't have done that.
Melissa VanCleave Plant
Currently Reading: Looking Glass Friends
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melissa-vancleave-plant.html
Latest Review: Heroes of Atlantis by Ryan Carriere

Post by Melissa VanCleave Plant »

John told us the answer to this question. The explosion, the attack, awakened a passion in him that he had forgotten. He had lost himself in the day-to-day monotony. This sudden upheaval of the monotony allowed him to connect to himself on a deeper level. His passion fueled his belief and his actions.

Return to “Discuss "The Freedom Building" by Martin Kendall”