Why did John not feel free?

Use this forum to discuss the November 2021 Book of the month, "The Freedom Building" by Martin Kendall
Rodel Barnachea
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Lemony Snicket
Currently Reading: The Unfakeable Code®
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rodel-barnachea.html
Latest Review: An Accessible Iliad by Emer Jackson
fav_author_id: 5004

Why did John not feel free?

Post by Rodel Barnachea »

Why did John not feel free until the terrorist attack happened? He had a loving family, a successful company, and wealth. He managed to achieve something everybody wants. But why did he NOT feel free? Could it be because of the abundance of everything? Does he feel obliged to achieve those things only because he is privileged?
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Time Before Time
Bookshelf Size: 1015
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: All the Targets by Noah Bond
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

There is ambiguity in being “free”. Maybe Join felt like he couldn’t express his feelings because of fear of ridicule. The attack and subsequent amnesia gave him the “freedom” to feel how he really did without concern for how others felt.
Joe Candle
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joe-candle.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Joe Candle »

I think that the notion of freedom is really abstract and certain people don't feel free in certain situations in which anyone else would have felt free.
Uchechukwu Okereke
Currently Reading: The Aftermath Of The King
Bookshelf Size: 42

Post by Uchechukwu Okereke »

It's generic asking about his feeling of freedom but if we break it down case by case, the overarching similarity would suggest that you were referring to before his amnesia and I would reply by saying, "it all came down to the pressure he felt to produce results". He might have seemed like he had it all but at the end of the day, looking at how his life was shaped out, I feel like he was truly alone with himself. Which is why he made a lot of questionable decisions when he began to forget. He just truly forgot about his pressure, to produce results.
Tori_J
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tori-j.html
Latest Review: Aprende ABC con los animales de Puerto Rico by Yeseira Caro

Post by Tori_J »

Trauma such as the one John Gowan experienced would change anyone in ways they cannot imagine. Losing your memory can make you a different person. So, while he mightn't have felt free with his memories, having amnesia is certainly enough to change his perspective on things.
Rizki Pradana
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rizki-pradana.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Rizki Pradana »

I think the freedom that John know is different from the way everyone thinking about freedom. Furthermore John trauma has caused him to think differently from the most of people
iva_ivanova
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-iva-ivanova.html
Latest Review: Deviancy by Rose Linderman, Psy.D.

Post by iva_ivanova »

I think the pressure he was under curbed his sense of freedom. Also, amnesia changes the perspective since it removes circumstances and experiences from our awareness. That inevitably morphes his sense of freedom as well.
Adelee Grobler
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adelee-grobler.html
Latest Review: Hemiphos by Stefanie Jacob
Reading Device: B0979KD57W

Post by Adelee Grobler »

I think if you have a mental illness, you will be unhappy in any situation. If you have depression, you will be depressed about having everything and not feeling worth it. It’s a never-ending cycle.
Naila Saleem 2
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-naila-saleem-2.html
Latest Review: Strange Stories II by Roger Mannon
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Naila Saleem 2 »

From what I understand, the blast broke the monotonous life. Every single person at that moment was NOT doing what they were used to doing in their daily lives. The trauma, human emotions, and pain were all so raw. That stirred John somehow. Like the stagnant water was stirred. He felt free of monotony.
quinton avontuur
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by quinton avontuur »

here is ambiguity in being “free”. Maybe Join felt like he couldn’t express his feelings because of fear of ridicule. The attack and subsequent amnesia gave him the “freedom” to feel how he really did without concern for how others felt.
Abi McCoy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abi-mccoy.html
Latest Review: The Scrolls of the Bonefairy Castle by David Spiegel

Post by Abi McCoy »

Amy Luman wrote: 13 Nov 2021, 09:42 There is ambiguity in being “free”. Maybe Join felt like he couldn’t express his feelings because of fear of ridicule. The attack and subsequent amnesia gave him the “freedom” to feel how he really did without concern for how others felt.
I 100% agree with this. I think he had all of the physical freedoms and the appearance of freedom, but he was unable to fully express himself due to the constraints of his "perfect and free" life.
Chetna_Kharbanda
Currently Reading: Unsound
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chetna-123.html
Latest Review: "Are You a N****r or a Doctor?" by Otto E. Stallworth Jr. MD MBA

Post by Chetna_Kharbanda »

John's mental illness might be the reason behind his perceiving things differently than ordinary people. So what one thinks as freedom may not be the same for him.
Kibabcock
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibabcock.html
Latest Review: House of Dads by June Gillam

Post by Kibabcock »

I think he was looking for freedom from being under pressure of making his business succeed. His amnesia gives him a certain feeling of freedom because he doesn't have to honestly answer something that he is unable to explain.
Rodel Barnachea
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Lemony Snicket
Currently Reading: The Unfakeable Code®
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rodel-barnachea.html
Latest Review: An Accessible Iliad by Emer Jackson
fav_author_id: 5004

Post by Rodel Barnachea »

Kibabcock wrote: 19 Nov 2021, 22:01 I think he was looking for freedom from being under pressure of making his business succeed. His amnesia gives him a certain feeling of freedom because he doesn't have to honestly answer something that he is unable to explain.
Oh yeah, his amnesia is basically the main distraction that John attends to instead of confronting his feelings that he is not free. Apart from being under pressure to make succeed in his business, I think other factors is of him being a husband and a father.
Marlene Venter
Favorite Book: The Complete Sherlock Holmes
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marlene-venter.html
Latest Review: The Biblical Clock by Daniel Friedmann and Dania Sheldon

Post by Marlene Venter »

I think he felt a certain obligation to maintain a level of standard due to his success, and maybe he was too concerned about what people thought of him and felt trapped mentally, as his life revolved around obtaining results.

Return to “Discuss "The Freedom Building" by Martin Kendall”