The Book Cover Design

Use this forum to discuss the November 2021 Book of the month, "The Freedom Building" by Martin Kendall
Roy Van Hunter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-roy-van-hunter.html
Latest Review: Why Can't Johnny Just Quit? by Kyle Oh

Re: The Book Cover Design

Post by Roy Van Hunter »

The book cover design sucks for me because it doesn't really reflect on the content of the book and if I was judging the book by it cover I will not bother reading it .
Raquel Sojo
Currently Reading: Egomaniac
Bookshelf Size: 410
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raquel-sojo.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Raquel Sojo »

It seems to me that this is a well-thought-out cover. The view of the buildings in red and the silhouette both in color and in the position of the figure, are elements that speak volumes about the intrigue and events of the story.
Raquel Sojo
Currently Reading: Egomaniac
Bookshelf Size: 410
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raquel-sojo.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Raquel Sojo »

Brett Linette wrote: 18 Nov 2021, 05:56 I like how the book cover design features a silhouette of the protagonist, as opposed to a fleshed out image of him; I think it puts enough of a picture to the face while leaving room for imagination.

What do you guys think? What's your favorite or least favorite thing about the book cover design?
I like the elements that give you certain clues to the story, I'm still a little uncomfortable with the way the title is presented, I think something smaller would have worked just as well.
Ceeco2002
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ceeco2002.html
Latest Review: Rebuilt Recovery - Complete Series by Heather L Phipps

Post by Ceeco2002 »

I think the book cover was very well designed. First of all, the colours used, black and red, suggest pain, fear, danger,despair and the unknown as is seen in the storyline. Also, we can see the silhouette of the protagonist which gives readers a vague image, prompting them to give John an image that fits their imaginations better. In addition to that, the protagonist's stance already speaks volumes of the mental and emotional hardships he faced.
Precious Amarachi Nzeakor
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 97
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-precious-amarachi-nzeakor.html
Latest Review: Words of Wisdom: INSPIRING QUOTES for Everyone by Sharef Flounoy

Post by Precious Amarachi Nzeakor »

These days, reading books online, I usually don't pay huge attention to the cover page. Maybe because I am just traditional and would love to feel the book just as much as I see it. With this book however, I am immediately drawn in on the mystery surrounding John and having to build up the puzzle that is John through my own interpretation as I read gave me some form of power. It's almost like the author despite knowing what she wanted still left us the right to interpret the character as we please. That there makes the novel even more personal and intriguing to me.
Edem Michael
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-edem-michael.html
Latest Review: Loria by Gunnar Hedman

Post by Edem Michael »

The book cover design is unique. The building representation on the cover helps the reader to have an idea of what the story entails.
Latest Review: Loria by Gunnar Hedman
Maggie Johnson 2
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maggie-johnson-2.html
Latest Review: Graham's Folly by Miguel Gutierrez

Post by Maggie Johnson 2 »

After reading the book, I see the cover a lot differently than I did at first. Initially, I thought the lack of detail in the silhouette and building made the cover seem simple but intriguing. Now that I've read the book, I see how fitting it is. I like how the title forms the building in a way that hides all the details of what the building actually looks like. At first, I thought this was just a cool way of positioning the title, but now I see how appropriate it is.
NwakorVian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nwakorvian.html
Latest Review: The Weed Lady by Shea R Embry

Post by NwakorVian »

The cover design sets a silhouette that creates room for imagination–picturing the characters. I prefer books that allows me create the characters in my world tho the cover wasn't what piqued my interest. The reviews did.
Amiczy Heaven
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 93
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amiczy-heaven.html
Latest Review: Living the Beatitudes by Gary L. Engstrom

Post by Amiczy Heaven »

I think the book cover was simple but intriguing, because of the colours. The black colour made me feel I would be seeing a lot of fear and disappointment, while the red was a sign of danger. Which all made sense after I read the book.
Adaeze Joan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adaeze-joan.html
Latest Review: Of Roses & Storms by Sara Omar

Post by Adaeze Joan »

A book's cover actually speak a lot about a book.I am not really into reading action packed novels, but most times I am being compelled by the cover and title of the book
Praise George-kayode
Currently Reading: The Magician's Secret
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-praise-george-kayode.html
Latest Review: Rescuing General Patton by Curtis Stephen Burdick

Post by Praise George-kayode »

Brett Linette wrote: 19 Nov 2021, 04:36
Gabriella H wrote: 19 Nov 2021, 00:52 I think the book cover is fitting. The pose of the protagonist alone says a lot about the struggles going on in his mind.
I agree that the pose says so much about the protagonist, but the hairstyle, I think it gives the impression that he's a young adult, as opposed to a middle-aged one. There was talk in the book about him having a receding hairline. I think a hairstyle that gives view to his hairline and its recession would've been more telling.
Yes, I also really got captivated with the book cover design. I'm sure the author must have used a professional graphics designer. Though, I wasn't disappointed after reading the story cos the cover page actually depicted what I was expecting
Stellah Chege
Currently Reading: Black Hat/White Hat: A tale of Good is Evil
Bookshelf Size: 95
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stellah-chege.html
Latest Review: Addressing Systemic Discrimination by Reframing the Problem by Dr. Frank L. Douglas

Post by Stellah Chege »

I was a bit skeptical about the cover at first. I did not see the thrill or action from the first glance. However, after reading it is when I understood why the red and black colors, the silhouette and the posture of the silhouette did have a meaning.
Walter R
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-walter-r.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Walter R »

The silhouette adds a mysterious feel to the book as you wonder what kind of person the protagonist will turn out to be. So definitely in support of it.
Grampy
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-grampy.html
Latest Review: E M P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Grampy »

You can’t judge a book by its cover because a book is judged by its spine. The author made room for this quote to be valid. It gave room for us to get lost in our imaginations.
MsTri
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Miranda Ann Markley
Favorite Book: The Spirit Seeds Book 1
Currently Reading: the Secret of Safe Passage
Bookshelf Size: 1030
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mstri.html
Latest Review: Suddenly Free, Vol. 1 by Yvette Carmon Davis
Reading Device: B07HZHJGY7
fav_author_id: 225682

Post by MsTri »

Even though it's said not to judge a book by its cover, I have a bad habit of scrolling right by books that have actual pictures or images of people; I strongly prefer artistic covers, so the cover for this book definitely suits my aesthetic preference.

Return to “Discuss "The Freedom Building" by Martin Kendall”