The Book Cover Design

Use this forum to discuss the November 2021 Book of the month, "The Freedom Building" by Martin Kendall
Areeba M
Currently Reading: Vicious
Bookshelf Size: 185
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-areeba-m.html
Latest Review: Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1) by Janet McNulty

Re: The Book Cover Design

Post by Areeba M »

I think the silhouette gives the reader a big room for interpretation. What with the whole, 'Don't judge a book by its cover', I kind of like simplistic book covers since they give me more freedom to make my assumption and then see if they turn out to be true or not.
Michaela Gordoni
Currently Reading: Timeline
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michaela-gordoni.html
Latest Review: Exploring Wine Regions – Bordeaux France by Michael C. Higgins, PhD

Post by Michaela Gordoni »

I think the cover is really vague and the only thing unique is how the letters are made to look like a building. That is actually kind of cool. But overall, the cover does not stand out much.
Sarah Nichols 7
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Doctor Sleep
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-nichols-7.html
Latest Review: The Freedom Building by Martin Kendall

Post by Sarah Nichols 7 »

The choice of using a silhouette was creative since the character isn’t fully aware of his whole life. He doesn’t even have a full picture of himself, so why would the audience? Also, the fact that the title is formed to look like the building behind him was clever. He’s looking away from it because his character can’t look at it without the “darkness” taking him over.
Blessing O 2
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-blessing-o-2.html
Latest Review: JTs World by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Blessing O 2 »

I like how the book cover design features the outline of the protagonist and leaves a lot of space to be filled in with the reader's imagination. But, I also think that the title should be much more catchy like in revealing what building is about.
Janelydia Mwangi
Currently Reading: Bugs, Weeds, and Water
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-janelydia-mwangi.html
Latest Review: Surviving Life As An Actor by Jerry a. Greenberg
Reading Device: Android

Post by Janelydia Mwangi »

Colour always has a symbolic meaning black brings about a sad mood which is potrayed in the character's life, blood means danger or action with passion in addition enlarging the letters symbolically brings out growth of the character either mentally or socially in addition to ideas of construction. Therefore, the cover brings out mysteries that can only be unraveled by reading it.
ItsBenny_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-itsbenny.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by ItsBenny_ »

I think the book cover is suitable, I feel the author intentionally didn't use a picture of a building to make us go wild with our imaginations of what the building would look like.
RobinAbraham
Favorite Book: Memoirs of a Geisha
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-robinabraham.html
Latest Review: Fish Wielder by J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by RobinAbraham »

I don't have a favourite thing as such or a least favourite thing. Just sheerly on first glance that it looks somewhat chilling..and intriguing. And very American.
Joseph Kasapo
Favorite Book: The Maestro Monologue
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joseph-kasapo.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Joseph Kasapo »

The combination of the colors red and black can compel you to check what is inside. I think the cover is perfect for this book.
jimmy02
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jimmy02.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by jimmy02 »

As someone who designs covers for books on a freelance basis, I can definitely attest that the cover is spot on! The designer has done a good job in depicting the theme the book. Additionally, the fonts, and the vague (black) silhouette of the protagonist against the blood red background creates a sense of mystery. It reveals just enough so as to pique the interest of any prospective reader.
There is no friend as loyal as a book.
~ Ernst Hemingway

:techie-studyingbrown:
Anne Lucas
Currently Reading: When No One Else Believed
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anne-lucas.html
Latest Review: The Secrets To Living A Fantastic Life... by Dr. Allen Lycka & Harriet Tinka

Post by Anne Lucas »

I know we should never judge a book by its cover, but it, most times, is the first thing that attracts a reader's eyes.
This book's cover is, in a word, intense. I like how the concept of 'building' is shown through creative typography. The character's potential emotions are conveyed by the colors - Red and Black. The choice of putting a silhouette of the protagonist takes the creativeness of this cover to another, deep level.
The cover is the very thing that made me pick this book up to read.
Patty Allread
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Problems of Work
Currently Reading: Bird by Bird
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-patty-allread.html
Latest Review: Hinduism by Dr Hiro G. Badlani

Post by Patty Allread »

The first thing I noticed is that the verticle layout of the title is shaped like a building, and the big, bold blockish font fit it well.
Vaishnavisree V
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by Vaishnavisree V »

The truth is when I saw the book cover i didn't really think the cover is attractive. It simple and cute i just thought wouldn't be great but it's was. The story was amazing. It just made me realise we should really never judge a book just by its cover
Marsha JJ
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: On the Precipice of the Labyrinth
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 137
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marsha-jj.html
Latest Review: Tyler's Promised Gift by M. C. Abushar

Post by Marsha JJ »

I feel that while the cover is eye-catching with the dominant red and black colors and the silhouette of the main character, it could more clearly express the story inside. For example, it's not immediately clear that "The Freedom Building" words form a graphic image of a building. Perhaps this element was purposely designed this way to be reflective of what the main character is going through, but I felt it could have been more clear.
Andrada Madalina
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: And Then I Met Margaret
Bookshelf Size: 184
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-andrada-madalina.html
Latest Review: The Butterfly Cage by Rachel Zemach
Reading Device: B014LQ6EKI

Post by Andrada Madalina »

The red color of the book cover draws attention to the dark silhouette. The black color evokes mystery combined with a strong sense of fear. Also, the red inspires danger in me and makes me think of an intense emotional struggle. This inner struggle also emerges from the man's position of the hand touching his forehead, which reflects that he is in deep thought. The figure is blurred, but I imagine he has his eyes closed to cast away the distracting sights.
Maha Ata
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maha-ata.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Maha Ata »

The book cover is apt to the plotting of the book and cathches the reader's eye at first glance.

Return to “Discuss "The Freedom Building" by Martin Kendall”