The Names of Everything

Use this forum to discuss the November 2021 Book of the month, "The Freedom Building" by Martin Kendall
Daniel-Davis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-daniel-davis.html
Latest Review: Grant's Wish by T.S. Pollard

The Names of Everything

Post by Daniel-Davis »

The author named everything in the story specifically, with reasons, and maybe some alliterations. I really want to understand, Why did he name the cities, and the buildings what they are?
Miracle Chidera 1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miracle-chidera-1.html
Latest Review: Can I Be Frank? by Rob Wyatt

Post by Miracle Chidera 1 »

It's really hard to answer this question. Author's generate names based on different factors, so it relies solely on how he got his names. But the Zenith building is pretty obvious to me. Zenith means the highest point or state, peak. It represents the best of John's architectural achievements.
Gloria Jane
Currently Reading: Manifesto for a Cancer Patient
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gloria-edmund.html
Latest Review: Demon Freaks by J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison

Post by Gloria Jane »

Miracle Chidera 1 wrote: 24 Nov 2021, 12:02 It's really hard to answer this question. Author's generate names based on different factors, so it relies solely on how he got his names. But the Zenith building is pretty obvious to me. Zenith means the highest point or state, peak. It represents the best of John's architectural achievements.
I agree with your theory of how the Zenith building was named.

I believe in most cases, authors choose the names for cities, places and their characters based on what sounds fitting, symbolic reasons that add to the plot, or it could be completely randomised for all we know. Or it could be a combination of all three factors.
Lasty Kondijo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lasty-kondijo.html
Latest Review: Let's Help You Self-Help! by Anthony Jacob Braaten

Post by Lasty Kondijo »

I think the naming of cities and the buildings makes the book more unique, and differentiate the author with others. Though cant say specific answer to it though i think the author just wanted to be unique.
Desi Lemman
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-desi-lemman.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by Desi Lemman »

There is really no way of knowing why authors give certain names to certain things, people or places if they do not say why themselves (in an interview or a post). So we will have to make do with not knowing or we ask the author this question.
Dr Chocha
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dr-chocha.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Dr Chocha »

The question is thought challenging, but Personally I think the author must be creative enough to even create names that do not exist. My point is that Naming is part of plot building.
Ethan Howe
Favorite Author: Matthew Tysz
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ethan-howe.html
Latest Review: Randy the Irresistible by S M Goodier
fav_author_id: 50532

Post by Ethan Howe »

I can't really figure out why the author used names like Zenith but I like the names. I think the author just wants it to be a unique read for everyone.
EternalD
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eternald.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by EternalD »

That's a question only the author could answer. Some concepts can mean one thing to me and quite another to someone else. In many cases, the emotional factor trumps the cold, material idea of words. Even so, I agree with colleagues who explained the meaning of Zenith. It seems to be the most plausible explanation.
Limpho Mojakisane
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-limpho-mojakisane.html
Latest Review: Dante's Demons by K.L. Barstow

Post by Limpho Mojakisane »

Desi Lemman wrote: 26 Nov 2021, 06:43 There is really no way of knowing why authors give certain names to certain things, people or places if they do not say why themselves (in an interview or a post). So we will have to make do with not knowing or we ask the author this question.
I have to agree with you on this one. There may be a reason for them naming things according to what they want to name them so, if they don't specifically tell us readers why they have named something as such, then really there is nothing we can do but perhaps ask the author themselves.
Cwilde13
Currently Reading: Watership Down
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cwilde13.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Cwilde13 »

I think the author might have been using the alliteration to make it easier for the readers to remember the important names and places. He probably wanted them to stand out from the rest of the story because they were significant to the plot in some way.
Suzer6440 xyz
Favorite Book: Pearl River Mansion
Currently Reading: Five Total Strangers
Bookshelf Size: 201
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-suzer6440-xyz.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White

Post by Suzer6440 xyz »

I don’t really know specifically why but what I do know is that it definitely made the book more interesting and unique. There must’ve been specific reasons behind the naming of such things
usef nahg
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-usef-nahg.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by usef nahg »

This is an almost impossible question to answer, theres no way of 100% knowing. theres also the chance the author just named them randomly.
Timothy Rucinski
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Dead Bob
Currently Reading: The Nutmeg of Consolation
Bookshelf Size: 605
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-timothy-rucinski.html
Latest Review: The Socratic Contract by D C Russell
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
2024 Reading Goal: 81
2024 Goal Completion: 24%

Post by Timothy Rucinski »

I believe that the names were deliberately assigned by the author, strategically designed to enhance the storyline. For example, take the two locations: Blanworth and Toxon. Each of these locations is mentioned on the very first page of the novel, setting the tone. Blanworth strikes up an image of "bland" as per its name, while Toxon is remarkably close to "toxic." Because of the blandness and toxicity of the locations, John moves out into the countryside to be away from it all.
Niklaus Mikaelson 1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by Niklaus Mikaelson 1 »

I believe that the reason why he named everything in the book was to allow for proper flow amongst readers.
Saumya Guptaa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-saumya-guptaa.html
Latest Review: Phobia Relief by Kalliope Barlis

Post by Saumya Guptaa »

I don't think the author has given the names at random. But it is near impossible to find out the meanings, without author's own input. Whatever be the case, this gave the plot even more depth.

Return to “Discuss "The Freedom Building" by Martin Kendall”